Universal Temple Run 2 - (by Imangi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Im sure its been said before, but this game is seriously flawed. When the whole objective is high score, and you can essentially pay to just keep going, what is the point? The leaderboard already has a dozen people with max score of 50 million (which seems oddly low). This just doesn't seem that fun, and cheap deaths are everywhere. Turn a corner and fall right of the edge, want to pay and keep playing? I guess you might get some gratification out of saving up your gems you find and going for your big run.....or not.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You may have swipe to a side which "slams" you to the side wall (no specific animation though) and that is considered "tripping"

Usually happens if you swipe to turn too early.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I was thinking exactly the same. After playing TR2 for some time, I can say I prefer Pitfall. Camera angle changes, cell shade graphics, scenario variety (caves, forest, etc.) makes it more attractive for me.

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    They offer too less with this sequel. It feels like everything in there can be seen better somewhere else which makes it also not half as addictive as it should be. For free great, but after playing a while today I already lost interest.

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree that pitfall is better than this sequel. But it's a pretty good sequel nonetheless. Not much meat in it, but it just used the same old TR1 formula and turned on hyper mode, and pretty much made it the same, making it a safe "more-of" sequel.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    So I take it you like runners, EP? :p

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #127 TheFrost, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I did one million points, went to GameCenter to check scores and yes, its flawed... On my friends list there is one with 10,000,000, wondering how many gems took to reach 50mil... and that mission to get 100,000 coins... this objective may take forever but somehow I cant stop playing this one.

8. HooblaDGN

HooblaDGN Active Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Love this, but the doubler is too much. I'd love to throw Imangi some money but I never buy currency directly, only doublers, and that is too highly-priced for the ios game market.

9. Will011

Will011 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Anyone else finding this laggy on a 4th gen itouch?

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just recently. :D

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Control seem a little unresponsive on an iPad 3, plus the fact that tilting and having the slide on a big iPad just makes a little cumbersome and having some of your swipes not register makes for a bit of frustration. Like others have said and I have to agree, Pitfall seemed to improve the formula better for me personally and the spotty input response (iPad 3) makes this a play for a moment and forget, especially with so many other good runners out there now.

12. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Yeah seems a bit laggy and unresponsive on iPad 3 (and other devices judging by the reviews). The first one was buttery smooth. They'll probably fix it. I quite like Run 'n' Gun.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've been playing this on a 4th-gen iPad, but I just installed it on my old 4th-gen iPod to compare the two, and there really isn't too much of a difference in performance overall (it's flawless on the newer device, and close enough to it on the older one).

The only real hitching on the older device occurs when encountering a new obstacle for the first time, which can potentially be a killer if you turn a corner and the game briefly freezes long enough to ignore your swipe, or otherwise cause you to crash into whatever was right in front of you. Given the nature of the issue, though, this only tends to be a problem at the beginning of a run, before you've seen all the obstacles, and long before things really get hectic.

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I will have to check out Run 'n' Gun then, I keep seeing it mentioned!

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #135 Jacob007, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Running on an iPod 5 (no pun intended, heh) and the game still seems a bit laggy. I've even noticed some frustrating bugs. The graphics are crisp and the game seems great, but the random lag spikes, bugs, and sometimes unresponsive controls ruin it for me.
    I have my fingers crossed for a bug fix update next week, because Id seriously expect more from Imangi after TR.
    And I REALLY wish you could tap to skip the "Save me" at the end of a run. I don't like not wanting to save the dude and have to just sit there.

16. .Asa

.Asa Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Agreed. The game is running about 15-20 FPS on my iPad 3, and fails to respond to about 1/3 swipes. This device has a super powerful quad core GPU, which seems like it should be able to run this game.

Strangely, the game runs quite a bit better on an iPod touch 4 than iPad 3; I have noticed that some of the more complex graphic elements (such as shadows) are missing or dumbed down on the older device. I appreciate a developer who goes to the extra trouble of making an app run on a 2+ year old iPod.

17. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #137 Adams Immersive, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    Game Impressions

I like it a lot! Completely smooth and responsive on my iPad 2.

I really miss iCade support (hopefully to be added later) but the touch controls work as well as before. Almost never a false move, even when I hold my hand a little sideways for comfort. (I swipe with my right thumb, and I know my swipes aren't perfectly horizontal/vertical).

Definitely more than a re-skin: lots of small factors that add up to a better game. I really like that the bonus meter actually matters to the game now! (I'm not much of a score-chaser: gameplay better be fun for a reason other than that! So using the bonus meter to trigger a power of my choosing makes the meter--and thus the whole "trip" mechanic--much more interesting.)

Nice little touches include the gradual acceleration after a Save Me so you don't just die again at once, and the precision that lets you save yourself with a swipe at the VERY last second.

The game looks great and the scenery is nicely varied. Glitches are rare and minor (occasional scenery pop instead of fade-in, occasional lack of tilt response as you grab the very first coins). The IAP is not needed to have fun, and I haven't bought any. You earn enough Save Me gems by playing that you can certainly extend an unusually good run but you can't just throw gems at every round. (I have no opinion on IAP's impact on leaderboards--I never expect to be anywhere near the top of a scoreboard anyway, and pay little attention to my ranking. You can buy gems/Save Mes as IAP, so I can see how that could taint the leaderboards.)

A nice follow-up to a great runner.

(I'm not sure I get how to turn the mine cart... I swipe AND tilt just to be safe, and it still sometimes won't turn. I'll figure it out.)

18. Well, I don't think it is that bad on my new ipad, but it is not totally smooth. This one has a lot better graphics than the first one, so that probably plays a big factor in this one not being quite as smooth.

But I think some of this issue is due to the slower gameplay. This one, you don't get the speed factor as I did the other two temple runs.

Anyway, not bad, but more of the same. I personally like Temple run brave much better, the colors and graphics are gorgeous compared to this one.

19. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I keep getting to these cliffs where I just fall off with nowhere to go. Is this a bug or did choose the "wrong path"? Cause that's a horrible feature. Is there a way to tell which way I should go?

Edit: Nevermind, I see now the tiny paths off to the sides now. Ugh..

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol..I was "stuck" there for a good 10-15 minutes getting all frustrated last night.. Then I saw the tiny paths. ;-P