Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    What?

2. Hey Connector, does getting 6th in a race with 8 of your GC friends qualify for joining The Real Racing 3 Loserz Club?

Does it matter if it were an gold trophy race as well?

3. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Makes me wonder if this is another thing they are playing with in the background. I got tons of these notifications today while I was at work, but for the last few hours, they've stopped...

If this is something they intend on adding, they really need settings to tailor what notifications you receive through the notification center. I have no problem with notifications for car deliveries and upgrades, but being notified every time someone beats my time is a little...depressing not to mention obnoxious.

4. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    With controls option B, you can lift off. So in certain medium high speed corners, no need to break. Just glide through them.

Control option A on the other hand only allows you to accelerate or break.

5. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    And I have the car! See you guys on track. It wasn't one week yet though, was it? Or does their week end when the US steps into Monday?

6. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    This may have been answered already but why do you always start from the back of the grid. I've slooowly worked why way to Level 11 and one a load of races and placed well in others. Yet always start from the back. In real racing that would be illogical. Also is there any way to avoid wheel spin at the start? I notice, since I'm always at the back, that you see wheel spin from some , but not all, in front of you.

7. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Just some more thoughts from me on the game.

1) I think the fact it costs 1500 gold (quoting someone's post) to fully upgrade the Agera is quite steep. And like it or not, most of us will simply get bored by the game by the time we even get to the point of being able to buy the best cars. Now we might be enjoying the game, but by the time we get to the final quarter (if that is), the cars and upgrades will be way too overpriced and we'll start "whining" again.

2) There does really need to be a proper career mode. This is because the times of the CPU AI is non-adaptive. Meaning, however good or bad you are at the game, the cars will race at the exact same speed. SO if you're very good or have maxed out cars, racing against bots is a piece of cake. Racing against TSM players meanwhile still lacks a lot of balance.

8. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    You get wheel spin if you're on the accelerator before the lights go out.

The reason you always start from the back is for consistency purposes. All your TSM competitors would also have started from the same place, so over the course of a race whatever advantage they had by starting in front will be evened out.

9. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Has anyone played an F1 game? They have instant time based penalties that slow you down for a few seconds, depending how much of a short-cut you take. And in professional racing, you cut a corner if all four wheels are off the white racing lines.

Or if that is too complicated, just instal more barriers at the "hot spots" and make the cars slow down even more when running off track, or make them spin if you take a shortcut at high speed.

I must say that I cut some corners myself occasionally, but only ever on the first lap (and usually the first turn, like in Hockenheim) or else the field spread will get too large.

10. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Not true all the time. KillyBilly says he's won the endurance races where he clocked 40+km, but I haven't. Why does he still show up for me then?

And Killy, why are you seemingly good at endurance races but not so in the regular ones (Based on my TSM at least)? Is there any exploit to share? Just curious.

11. Wowzers, was playing for a bit, now I am in a forced wait timer break for repairs. Can I close the game? If I close the app in the multitask bar, will it still time? Or if I just close the app, will it time?

Man, now I see why so many people just adjust their clocks. I kind of refuse to do so cause of principle, but man, the game would be so much different if you did the change system time thing. Can't imagine when people were reporting 8 hour wait times.

Sigh, probably still in wait timer, wish they would take this out. Sigh.

12. ictoanen

ictoanen Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Netherlands
    I am liking this game. The timers don't really bother me that much now that I have three cars. Pretty much like a lot of you have reported.

The TSM does puzzle me sometimes. I have an event on Silverstone where I need to finish in 34 seconds but can never manage a time faster than 50 seconds. Switching airplane mode on doesn't help either, the goal stays the same.

I am really thankful for all those of you who added me to their GC. The game is a lot more fun with all of you (not to mention a lot more profitable when I win). I do hope they will make a setting where you can filter which push messages you want. I do like the delivery and repair messages but don't have to know each and every time when someone has done better than me.

13. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    I certainly get the repair complete notifications. Hmm, maybe no one beat my times? But it certainly sounds fishy.

14. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    That is not a fault with TSM. It is a fault with the default CPU times. A bug that has been confirmed by many a person. Just wait for a fix from FM.

15. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I've not seen any notifications relating to times being beaten, and I'm pretty sure they have.
    I do get all the repair etc notifications.

16. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    You've mentioned the prospect of boredom a couple times and you are obviously bloody quick. Not sure if this might throw up an extra challenge. When I started and hadn't befriended anyone here I just picked randoms who had beaten me and friend requested them. At least you will have a race on your hands:)

17. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Nah, I don't think there's anything wrong with what hes doing. It is good. People should post more lengthy first time impressions like that. So what if the points are repeated? At least people who browse the thread will then be able to see what are the persistent problems most of us are having with the game.

Now, if the same questions get asked repeatedly, then you have reason to get upset.

18. Yeah, after my repairs were over, I got a notifications saying repairs complete. So you can exit the app, but does anyone l know if you completely close the app in the multitask bar, will it still time?

And while the wait timers seem irritating when you only have one car, can see where if you have multiple cars, it wouldn't be that much of a bother. Kinda strange inapp model though. It almost seems like you should just buy like $10 in apps at the beginning, rather than grind away. Another weird thing is how this game is getting hacking in so many different ways to get around the inapps.

I think it was racer that mentioned this inverted inapp model. Hmmm... Gotta think about this some more. Strange.

19. I agree. There will be players starting at all different times, so it's not really fair for them not to have their input. Plus there is over a hundred pages of posts, so it is too much for anyone to know what has been posted, and the game is changing all the time.

Anyway come 2/28, the thread will go through another reset anyway with so many new US players and worldwide players. Everyone is going to want to post their impressions, and I don't think it would be fair to say they can't take about wait timers, inapps, or weird ai; just cause we have talked about it already.

Unfortunately this whole release thing is really weird, so people are being added at all times so it is making this thread more of a headache than normal. Kind of wish it was just released all at once like most games, but since this game seems to be going through a lot of tweaking and testing now, they waited to release it to the world.

I apologize in advance for posting some of my impressions, but many of the regs asked me to post my first impressions of the games, so I apologize too if some of it is rehashed material. I should have started a nz account earlier. I just ran into more technical difficulties trying to get the account.

Anyway, on the 28th, there will be a lot more haterz posts than like now, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully we can counter claims with facts and understanding, than to call people idiots or flat outwrite wrong.

Cheers. :)

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    My sentiments exactly!

This is the view I use at all times. It's much more immersive, too.
    Bought the McLaren with my 65 gold coins and then blasting it around the Indy track was simply a blast. It was like I was actually behind the wheel and it felt so right!
    The game is growing more and more on me by the hour.

I was merely legitimately scared in the beginning. Like everyone else I was shocked when the news hit regarding the switch to the premium model.
    But I've taken your articles to heart in combination with keeping faith in Firemonkeys, and I am glad I did.
    Even when I started playing, it needed to grow on me a little bit... but now I am totally in love with this game and my IAP worries have disappeared completely. Especially after the reduced timers.

Which is exactly what I am going to do once it hits on the 28th on my local AppStore.
    Three cars of different classes gave a lot more variation right from the get go to boot.

What's your GC alias btw? I'll add you as well ;)