Touch Arcade Donations?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pharmx, Jun 1, 2009.

1. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Is there any reason why Touch Arcade doesn't have a "donate" link? Some of the big forums that I visit (not game related) have this as an option, and is available from any page for people that wish to donate. The sites that do this usually offer some "incentive" like a special title, etc. If this has been asked before, please forgive me, I started typing before doing a search.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    not something we've offered. Maybe we'll have some toucharcade-branded stuff in the future. something to think about though.

arn

3. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Well, that's more like a store. What I'm talking about is just a PayPal (or similar) donation, regardless of how big or small the amount. Either way, every little bit counts, and I'm sure TA isn't cheap to run, especially with the growing user base :D

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    That is what the ads are for.

5. Raphie

Raphie Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Exactly.

click on those ads.

6. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    That's silly. First of all I don't want to see the ads. I don't think I've ever willingly clicked on an ad. Second, clicking on an ad doesn't let you pick how much money you want to donate.

7. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Just click on links to games in the forums when you want to buy stuff. The links are automatically re-written by the server to redirect to affiliate links. In other words, TA gets 5% of every sale of every app that people buy when they click any App Store link on this site. ;)

8. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    A TA store would be awesome. TA fingerboards, t-shirts..........it would be awesome!

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Neeeeeerd. And the nearly 4,000 posts only backs up my case. I could go for a TA iPod case, though, but nooo way a t-shirt. If my game's moderately successful, I can see myself donating a good chunk.

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Haha. More like TA addict. I wouldin't wear a TA shirt though. Not that I'm ashamed or anything.........it's just it would be random. TA case would be nice.

11. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Depending on how difficult it is to create, what is the downside of creating one?
    Just sounds like easy 100% of every dollar.

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #12 starjimstar, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
    The PR backlash could very well be a mortal wound. And who in their right mind would actually donate when this site already brings in a lot of money with relatively low overhead? And if you use PayPal or Kagi as a middleman, they do take a cut, so it would likely not be 100% anyway.

In short; it is a terrible idea. Try pitching it to Khalid Shaikh. Tell him that he should not only charge people $5 per app, but subsidize his apps with AdMob as well.

13. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    What in the world are you talking about? PR backlash for what? And wtf does Khalid have to do with this thread?

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Letting donate and then giving them an ad-free experience isn't a bad option, for those who want it--like MacRumors has.

I keep meaning to do that on MR (my other weakness) but I probably would never do it here... the game ads have never really annoyed me, and they're relevant. (Sometimes even somewhat cool, like the Star Defense themed background now. I don't mind that.)

15. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    While I find most tee designs to be not worth buying, a touch arcade drinking mug or mouse mat would be much better.

16. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Or maybe a TA calendar with pictures of upcoming games for each month that they will be released :D