Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaron View Post
Sooo... what exactly isn't really matured yet? Regarding the future: It's Monkey 2 which is on hold for now, not the current one.

You can use box2d if you like:http://playniax.com/demos/box2d/MonkeyGame.html
The fact Monkey 2 is on hold doesn't look great from outside!

It isn't mature in terms of a support from developers, community and tutorials. It certainly isn't like Unity in that sense. There also aren't really many noteable games made with it. New Star Soccer Mobile is listed as most noteable but I have never heard of it.

I had a look at Monkey (partly because of you!) as something to maybe teach but I decided it was too hard and niche for my young audience. I am currently learning the unreal engine which I have to say I am a little surprised with (in a good way).
Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Well yes, it's a one man show unfortunately. I can't deny that UT has obviously a huge team behind. But as he does it for already three decades now makes me think that he won't stop it at anytime. So having Monkey 2 on hold doesn't mean he stops developing.

Unreal looks pretty awesome indeed! I just hope the Unity guys adapt their ridiculous pricing soon!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaron View Post
Well yes, it's a one man show unfortunately. I can't deny that UT has obviously a huge team behind. But as he does it for already three decades now makes me think that he won't stop it at anytime. So having Monkey 2 on hold doesn't mean he stops developing.

Unreal looks pretty awesome indeed! I just hope the Unity guys adapt their ridiculous pricing soon!
the pricing is interesting. I actually think Unity has better model because the free part will get so many people to start while unreal has a barrier for entry. The number of people on unity forums who release an android game in the hope of making enough to get an apple dev licence is insane!

I think Unity needs to answer but I am not sure how. If I didn't have my Unity licences for work unreal is so much more appealing.

Being a 1 man show carries huge risk for a developer. He could stop at any time for a variety of reasons which might be beyond his control. He should be proud of himself for being so competitive. Hopefully he can use his success to grow.