iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #101 ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Small World for iPad - (with solo mode) (v1.1 - DLC expansion packs out)

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm just amazed the AI in this game came out half-way decent as it has to be pretty tricky to program an AI that can adequately play and fight back against any of this game's potential combinations. Perhaps if I had played the real board game vs. experts I'd soon realize many of the "newbie mistakes" the AI is making, but as this was the only way I've ever played the game it seems pretty dang good.

I too would like the option for more players and the ability to READ the details of my opponent's current power/race combo.

3. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

This game would be absolutely perfect with online game play and push notifications.

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Too true, so far Carcassonne and the upcoming Reiner Knizia Samurai pull this off beautifully.

I still think the AI for this game is damn impressive but that there are some combinations, if brought in at the right time, are really just devastating. Like when I came in mid game with Fortifying Skeletons, but still had a few Ghouls left to back me up, it was just impossible for them to catch up. :D

5. Castor Krieg

Castor Krieg Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    I really love the look of this game, it also seems very polished. Will Online Multiplayer be added in the future? This is the only thing that keeps me from buying this right now.

6. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    I realize this is a board game, bur how us it for replayability? Does it get samey with repeated plays? Is there some kind of stat tracking. Does single player offer a feel of reasonable strategy?

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It tracks your best scores and with the near endless possible combos it really does play uniquely each time. While not sure how the AI would be rated by a MASTER of the boardgame, but as an average strategy gamer I found the AI not only pretty competent but that it really knew how to play uniquely to each of the possible Power/Race Combos as well as reacting to the situation created by what you, the player, had done so far. Being AI, however, it isn't like it will ever learn from previous mistakes so I'm sure if you did find some tendencies as to how it handles certain situations, it is more than likely to do that every time and you might be able to use this fact to your advantage. Also, as there is a fair bit of luck in what combinations come up, there are some cases that either you or the AI will just devastate the opponent even if they are playing as intelligently as possible considering the combination of their previous races and your current one (like if you managed to snag the perfect counter to the combination he was using against you. Just like Risk, this game often seems to boil down to how far do you push your attacks. Do you try to snag up all of the land you can but spread yourself to thin or do you only expand very conservatively letting your opponent over take you via victory points if they expanded more aggressively. Neither way in themselves is right or wrong, it's all a matter of adapting to what's best in your current situation (as well as knowing when is best to lose a turn and switch over to a new race).

8. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks for your indepth reply LordGek! Think I'll grab the game.

9. Priestesses I thought was gonna take all of existing tokens and make a tower. Instead takes one token per land conquered. Live and learn next time gonna use this ability to the max.

Was playing a friend last night and had Marauding and boy that was a powerful power basically let's you conquer twice in one turn.

10. LibertyCabbage

LibertyCabbage Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Finally got around to this one. Never played the board game, but here's my thoughts.

1)Tutorials for the game need serious improvement. I was completely lost as to what I was doing in the first few games. I actually googled the board game online for a better explanation of the rules.

2)The interface is smooth and slick and plays very well. Very nice implementation of a board game on ipad.

3)The lack of entertaining sound effects to go along with the humorous artwork is a missed opportunity

4)AI plays competant, but not overly competitve. After playing about 10 games i routinely beat the comp by 15-20 points. It seems hesitant to pay more than 1 gold for an obviously better race/ability combo. Also sometimes its very timid in connquering the other player.

5)I'm hoping there's eventually an expansion to bring in more players and the rest of the multiplayer board.

11. there are already two expansions

12. Ohbobol

Ohbobol Member

Mar 8, 2010
    iPhone?

Any chance of seeing an iPhone version? I have the board game and thoroughly love it. But it's not always easy to convince friends to play this as often as I'd like to!

13. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Can the dev give us all four maps??

14. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I was wondering/hoping the same thing.

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I took it yesterday and fell in love.
    Please give us all maps, so more players, more ai personalities and online gaming!
    And yes I love that curse ability :D

16. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    This is such an outstanding game.

I bought it early on when I got my iPad at launch but didn't really understand how to play until recently. My wife and I have been playing it NONSTOP for the last week.

17. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Is this game very hard to learn

18. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Come on, downsize it for iPhone retina :)! And add the latest expansion just released. I'd be all over it.... I think I said that earlier in the thread ><.

19. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #119 Touchgamer3g, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    Agreed!

20. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    +1 from me. I'd buy it for my iPod straight away — but I'm not getting an iPad just to play Small World... :D