iPad Ninjatown: Trees of Doom! - by Venan

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 6, 2010.

1. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Ahh heck. I watched the video again and downloading now. This is also one of those devs I really want to support.

2. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Hmm...I'm torn. TONS of new releases today. I've bought a few. I've added a few to my wishlist. I loved Space Miner and would like to support the dev, but I got burned by a very early sale on Space Miner, so I kind of want to wait a bit and enjoy the releases that I did buy. A few decent impressions could push me over the edge, though.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    There's a moustache powerup that carries you up, up and awayyyy. What more needs to be said ;D

4. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Buy 1: Wait 0 :D

5. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Good man! I think you're going to enjoy it.

6. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    When you get Mucho Macho Moustachio... the power-up music might be reminiscent of a certain 80s TV show... Can you name it???

7. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Well, it's a fun endless climb game, with quite a bit of variety. The controls can be a little finicky; gauging how high you will jump can be difficult because it's based on how long you tap rather than where you tap. Also I've had issues when flinging off of branches; sometimes the game doesn't register my touch, I think the touch detection area is far too small for those. Those small issues aside it's a lot of fun, and there's nothing that can't be fixed in a small update.

I got Space Miner during the first sale, so I saved two bucks. Exactly the price of this game. Space Miner has given me far more value than the 3 bucks I paid for it, and more even than the 5 that I would have happily paid in retrospect. I have no qualms whatsoever tossing this quality dev a bone, even though I normally don't ike paying more than 99 cents for this sort of game.

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Damn, I think, this little platformer is pretty perfect.
    Really, it's so much fun.
    Dear Apple, could you please license the Wee Ninja as the idevice's Mario/Sonic ? I mean, it would fit to your clean style anyway :)

LOVE IT.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Game Impressions

After Space Miner, I would have bought Venan's followup even if it had been shown to cause cancer. Fortunately, Ninjatown is not only carcinogenic-free, but also cute, fun, and thoroughly polished. It may resemble a Doodle Jump clone, but don't let that fool you: the game plays much more like a true platformer, albeit vertical, than a tilt-based reaction game. And that's the thing; Ninjatown can move fast if you want it to, but it also allows the kind of deliberateness that's at the core of all the best platformers. Part of me wishes that they'd gone farther in that direction and included multiple lives, level breaks, and a final objective. Still, I know that this kind of endless set up is very popular in the App Store, so I understand why they took this route.

Polished, cute, and fun. That about sums it up.

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Sleep has never been so unappealing as it is right now. I want to stay up and play this all night, but I'll just pick up where I left off when I wake up.

Cheers Venan for an amazing game. P.S - give us a clue regarding Mustachio's theme! ;)

11. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #31 your personal robot, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
    Same here, really need to go to bed but I really just cannot lay this game down. So addictive, since you know, it's always your fault and you definitely could get a little higher.

Venan, thank you thank you thank you.

EDIT: rank 5 in the leaderboards, btw... :)
    EDIT 2: not anymore :)

12. laladanger

Feb 19, 2010
    Game Impressions

Cute, fun little platforming pick up and play game. I enjoy being able to plan out my actions instead of simply acting on a tilt. Just don't stay in one place too long thinking when an enemy is nearby. The ones that fly close to the trees will surely get you. The background tree music and sound effects help you to get in the mood of the game. There are a wide variety power-ups each with their own sound effects and character changes. Not to mention the common objects which lay on both trees that will either help you or hinder you on your journey. I can already see it becoming addicting when I think, "Oh just one more game," ten times later. The only thing I wish there was in this game would be levels to play through. This isn't a maker or braker though.

13. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Can't decide whether I should get this (at double the price), or Megajump :/

14. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Both are fantastic and belong to the best of their genre.
    This one has a bit more meat, is a slightly slower game.
    If I had to decide, I would go with Ninjatown, for its personality alone.
    But both are really great, and freakin' cheap.

15. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    Great great great game venan I love it!

16. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Arggh, these couple days have been extremely expensive.
    There're a few devs which get my 'instant buy' and Venan is one of them.
    Haven't read the impressions up there, but yeah, syncing now.

17. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    A new game from Venan? What else do you need to know? Downloading right now!

18. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Feature request: save position on exit, pleeeeeeeeeeease??? :D

19. laladanger

Feb 19, 2010
    +1
    Yeah other than that, I can't think of any major updates this needs.

20. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Too many games in one day, head may explode!
    Bought and downloading now!