Fast updates

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hex Blade, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    #1 Hex Blade, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    I resently got an update for real racing 2 and it downloaded and install in a matter of seconds. It used to take about an hour with large games.

So I'm wondering, has the 6.0.1 update that I've resently installed improved app update speeds by any chance?

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    No, it has nothing to do with iOS. Apple updated the AppStore, so now developers can release "patches". So you only have to download the patch (or add-on or something like that) and not the whole game.

At least that's what I think.

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    An app store update or in game update?

Coz in game updates are commonly server based patches that are launched. Those tend to be pretty small. Blood and Glory II did that. Upon launching the game it would look for updates and they would take seconds. But those are patches.

App store updates are usually full builds of the game. So depending if you have a wicked connection or not, it can take minutes or much longer. But even then I doubt it would take seconds to download a full game build.

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Those are games that require online connection. That's kinda different Updating "online games" with patches only, was possible since... always.

5. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Regardless, the point was that it was most likely a patch and not a full build that he downloaded.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Which is what I said in the first post. It's good that patches are possible now, but shouldn't somewhere say what the patch file size is? Or is there but I'm just missing it?