Canabalt or Hook Champ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by itman, Dec 3, 2009.

?

Canabalt or Hook Champ

1. Hook Champ

47 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Canabalt

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    #1 itman, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Which is best? I'm unsure.

2. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    That's cute of you to ask that question. Hook Champ obviously (;

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    this is more blasphemy.
    how can you even compare canabalt to that piece of..
    10x better game.

please get hook champ. cheers

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Canabalt. Still bored of these polls though.

5. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    If I could I would delete this now. I got HOOK CHAMP and CANABALT. :)

6. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Good call, I would have said get both.

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well, first off, I have to say, kudos to itman, first poll I've seen from him in awhile. Unfortunately, like 3 others have taken his place when it comes to unnecessary threads.

Now as for those 2 games, as others said, HOOK CHAMP DUH!! It actually has depth to it. Canabalt, if you want to play it, play the Flash version. Personally, I won't be buying Canabalt till[if] the dev does a $1 sale. I refuse to pay $3 for such shallow and simplistic gameplay.

8. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    firstly the app port makes the game a lot better, with the zoomed out view and much better response from touch compared to the spacebar, i can never go back to the flash version after playing the iphone version now.

secondly while it may be simplistic its VERY fun and VERY addictive.

so yeah while it doesn't have the upgrades or the 'slightly different' levels of hook champ, it is in my opinion the more enjoyable game.

don't bash something you dont even own, the flash version is an inferior version in my opinion so direct comparisons aren't 100% valid,

i have not regretted paying $3 for it for one instance.

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    'Zoomed out view' & 'better touch response,' while they may be nice additions, do not change the core gameplay. They're simply minor tweaks. To say that Canabalt is better ["more enjoyable"] than Hook Champ is, well, funny. The amount of content in Canabalt is very meager in comparison to Hook Champ. Plus, Kepa is actually active in the forums. Canabalt has yet to see the addition of online leaderboards after..ohhh idk, 2 months since its been released? Rofl. I don't need to own Canabalt to bash it. Yes, it is a fun game for quick pick-up and plays, is it worth the $3 when compared to other apps in that price category? Hell no.

10. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Got them both, love them both.. but if I have to choose (The point of the poll)

HOOK CHAMP!

Much more gameplay depth

:D

11. idrisguitar

Dec 8, 2008
    #11 idrisguitar, Dec 3, 2009

I should have probably been clearer in my reply so here goes.

I think Canabalt is more fun.....and I (me.....not everyone on this planet) think the changes from the flash game make it 100% better. Just because my opinion isn't yours doesn't make it wrong.

Also I don't believe you are in a position to claim the minor changes I mentioned don't affect gameplay, because you have not played the game on iphone or itouch. So please don't try to undermine my opinion when you don't even have the game. You can bash the core gameplay all you want, and you can speculate a bit on how these changes may not impress YOU, but don't say outright the changes "do not" alter the gameplay when you haven't even played with them yourself.

We are supposed to have different views on things, so lets leave it at that. I respect your opinion on both games based on what versions you have played, and can totally see your side of the argument, even if you cant see mine right now.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Asking if you should get Canabalt or Hook Champ is like asking if you should order bacon or more bacon.

Both answers are correct (and delicious).

13. idrisguitar

Dec 8, 2008
    this is correct :)

14. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    If you want a game that makes it possible to just start the App, press play without having to change any obtions etc and then play, lose and either quit the App or instantly play again, then you might go for Canabalt.

If you want a "deeper" game, with more features, maybe even some features which are only for style and not affecting the gameplay (Hats that consume all the money which you collected in 5 hours of gameplay :D ok this was a bit of exaggeration), and with many different Levels, then buy Hook Champ.

I got both on my iPhone, and both will stay there, maybe even forever (or until i manage to break the phone, but then the Apps will surely be on my new iPhone, too :D)

15. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I don't find those game are really that similar. I find that canabalt reminds me more of "run" or "action hero" without the fight button. (although, many night not consider those similar either) ............................:)

16. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    Yeah Hook Champ is the better game in my opinion. Far more gameplay for your bucks!

I still don´t understand, why they put such a high price tag on Canabalt. It should cost 99 cents for what it is offering.

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I liked your unedited post better :rolleyes: And I don't know where you're getting this whole thing that I said you're wrong from. If you read the posts, not once did I say you were wrong. Be more clear.

I don't need to play the port to offer an opinion, and like you said, this is a forum, opinions are present, therefore, it is my opinion that it is bash-worthy. The dev's lack of communication also puts me off this game. Couple of months have gone by and no updates, and I haven't seen him post in the thread in awhile.

18. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Canabalt

Personally, i don't find hook champ very great for some reason.

I prefer Canabalt because

the graphics: Beautiful even while being retro, unlike hook champ

replayability: Great, comparable to Doodle Jump- repetitive, but makes you frustrated when you don't get a high score. I don't see myself playing the same level on HC over and over.

soundtrack: Canabalt has an amazing, driving techno soundtrack that matches the intense environment. Does hook champ even have a track?

Praise- The flash game is rated 8 out of 10 on ArmorGames.com, and the itouch version is even better than the flash version. Plus, Toucharcade awarded Canabalt best game of October with 5 stars. Hook champ was not on that list.

CANABALT

19. idrisguitar

Dec 8, 2008
    #19 idrisguitar, Dec 3, 2009
    im not very good at writing well worded posts, i always post in a rush then look over it afterwards ;) and for what its worth i was trying to be a civil as possible (after the initial annoyance :p)

fair enough about your other points about the dev, i too would like to know if he is planning on expanding or working on a sequel. even little things like adding a few new obstacles would be very excited for me.

20. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I loved the Flash version of Canabalt, and the iPhone version was a good time, but the gameplay became boring after a week. There just isn't enough to do, and, at $3, it's a total ripoff.

Canabalt is one of the few games that I truly regret buying. I don't even play it anymore. Just stick with the Flash version if you need a Canabalt fix, and use your money on something better. You can get Finger Physics, Jelly Car 2, and Tap Tap Revenge 3 for the price of Canabalt.