Gangstar: Sin City

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by qasim, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    #1 qasim, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    hopefully this will be a lot better, in every aspect

3. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i hope it's true and it will really be a lot better than the first one
    but i'm worried that it won't anymore support older devices :(

4. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    Hopefully the city actually feels active this time... And having it be las vegas means they have to make it feel like a city with people walking around and such. Hopefully gameloft learns from there mistake and actually makes this a good game (although I am not expecting a good story obviously)

5. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, neither is Apple anymore for that matter...

6. When I first heard of this on their podcast, I thought they said "sim city" :p

7. altair77

altair77 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    lets hope the map will be bigger it was boring to pass through the same spots all the time adn lets hope the will make a cover system or better AI and well everything better :p:p:p

8. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    I feel bad for the people with the older devices but those devices are not capable of doing to much and are holding up developement on the newer devices, so I am actually happy they are not supporting them anymore.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I don't like the way how PG is putting stuff in their "Rumor Mine". If they wanted more people to read it why didn't they put up exclusive sneak peek or something like that? (They did the same thing for N.O.V.A 2)

Until GL officially announounces this game I'm not holding my breath.

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

hopefully the cars handle better! thats what made me give up on the first.

11. alexsmokin27

alexsmokin27 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    thanks bro, your contribution to this thread has been equally helpful and informative

12. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    so has this ^ :)

I figure if they could some how combine the cars and physics of GT Academy and the sandbox open world of the original gangstar then that would be a home run. But as it was said earlier, the AI and handling was terrible in the first game. the sounds could also use an over haul

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I hope they improve the graphics by quite a bit (I'm sure they will).

It would be good if they improved them by a similar amount to Asphalt 4 - Asphalt 5.

i.e

From this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

14. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    #14 ltcommander.data, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    I think most of Asphalt's graphic improvement stem from Asphalt 4 being a Java game port so the assets were already lower quality while Asphalt 5 was developed from the start on for the iPhone. While there were previous Java Gangstar titles, West Coast Hustle seems to have been developed specifically for the iPhone so they'll be less room to improve, at least on the OpenGL ES 1.1 devices. I can't see Gameloft leaving so many potential customers on the table by abandoning 1st and 2nd gen devices, but hopefully they'll still put effort in making a limit pushing OpenGL ES 2.0 path to offer things like a full day, night, and weather cycles as well as improved draw distances, and vehicle and pedestrian density. Hidden packages and side missions are all good, but hopefully Gameloft will remember that the key to open world games is a living, breathing world where things can happen independent of the character. Admittedly this might be difficult with the limited CPU power, but one can hope.

15. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, that is very true. The GTA series has managed to make their cities so lively and realistic. GTA: IV is a good example. Gangstar West Coast was disappointing in that the city didn't feel very fun and lively. Pretty much all you could do was drive around, kill people and buy guns/cars. Getting back to the GTA series, the thing that really makes them so good is the wide variety of stuff you can do in a city that feels very busy and realistic (well, sort of). GTA: CTW is a good example on the iPhone - there is always lots of stuff to do and lots to discover. Hopefully this upcoming Gangstar game will be more like GTA. I expect they have already been working on it for quite some time, and if you remember the last Gangstar, the took quite a while between announcing the game and releasing it (a good 2 or 3 months I believe). So I am expecting this game to be a big improvement. And as for the graphics, I expect them to be at GT Racing/Asphalt 5 level at least. With the Open GL 2.0, the iPad, and the upcoming 4G devices (possibly "HD") Gameloft will probably be maxing out the graphics. It might be announced or even released along with the next keynote this summer.

16. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Hopefully, the city will be as large and vibrant as GTA's.

17. San

San Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Marketing Group Manager, Global. Gameloft HQ
    Paris
    Pocket Gamer's rumour mine = lol.

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Hey, San! Haven't seen you on the forums for a while.
    You are saying that this rumour is false? Or are you just laughing at the fact they have a "rumour mine"?
    I suppose you aren't allowed to give us any info until anything has been officially announced.

19. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Well, with the first one so sucky, they can only go uphill. Or maybe not...

20. OC Noob

OC Noob Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    #20 OC Noob, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    It would be nice if they would support the 2nd gen iPod Touch I bought less than a year ago (July 2009). The good thing about games though, is they can do all sorts of things to make games ook better on the devices with gfx chips, while still dumbing gfx down for the older devices so... if Apple doesn't completey screw everyone who doesn't have a 3GS or 3rd gen Touch we should all get to enjoy this game and many more to come.

I'd love to see something along the lines of GTA:SA. Lots of land to explore and tons of stuff to do. Helicopters, planes, etc... That would kick ass.