Mos Speedrun (retro platformer!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Now on the last section. Soooo fun! been playing this all day trying to collect badges and awards. damn this 4th world is hard. You guys will know what I mean tomorrow. ;)

2. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Darnit crex, I don't know if I can wait that long!!!! :D

3. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Hang in there buddy. I asure you it will be worth the wait. :)

4. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    hehe, excellent!! :) Are you able to compare the tightness of the controls to (I hate to mention this one again!) League of Evil?

5. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    They are basically exactly the same but Mos doesn't have an attack button. Hope that helped. :)

6. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Yeah, sounds great. I really like that idea actually (not having an attack), as it must make you feel a lot more vulnerable. Can you jump on enemies to kill them? I wonder if the devs have any plans to release any playable characters..

7. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Nope. Can't jump on them.

8. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I heard that they may release a zombie character to play with. And yes, i would also like very much to jump on them to kill them. Well, its only 13 hours away till release!

9. Lance_TA

Mar 12, 2011
    Yes yes yes i been waiting for this one. Instant buy when it becomes avaiable where i live.

10. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

#110 nyarla, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Woot, Physmo sent me a copy last night.. it's fun!

And.. It's hard! I'm still only at world 2 level 2. I spent a few hours playing world 1 repeatedly to get all the badgers. It feels very nice to play... good and smooth on my 2G iPod.

It's hilarious when you've died lots of times and have masses of ghosts all crazily running around.. that's a lovely touch. :D

About the controls... I've tried both the control schemes and yeah, it is easier to control with the d-pad scheme.. but I figure the devs wouldn't have made the 'mos' scheme the default for no reason. The game moves really fast so with onscreen d-pad my fat fingers cover a bit more of the screen than I'd like.

So I'm sticking with 'mos' controls. After some practice I've become quite good at them, though there's lots of room to improve. I do like a control scheme that makes you work hard to master it :) You sort of have to use your brain in a different way than usual in a platformer.. almost like a dual stick shooter or something..

The way how if you're holding 'jump' while in the air you'll jump as soon as you hit the ground, makes for some really intricate timing things you can do to shave bits off your time.. hard to explain.. but it's like you can get ready to jump before you even hit the ground, so you can land super close to enemies and jump over them in the nick of time. And minutely changing the timing of when you press can drastically affect what happens.. This is all very satisfying when running at high speed without stopping.

Oh and I love Mos herself. So cute!

Might have a crack at the rest of world 2 now...

[edit: oh yeah, another good thing bout the 'mos' control scheme is that it works perfectly at 2x on iPad, where onscren d-pad would become too spaced out... not that this will matter when the game becomes universal..]

11. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Great review nyarla, thanks :)

12. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Gwargh! UK iTunes will let me quick-search for it, but there's no matches! This is agonising! haha! I must get a New Zealand account set up! :D

13. Lance_TA

Mar 12, 2011
    Can you do that? Make an iTunes account for a country different than yours??

14. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I think so, yeah. But I don't know whether it'll mean you can get early games or anything? :confused:

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Only if you somehow acquire a NZ credit card/iTunes card or get a promo code.

16. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I'm pretty sure you could get a NZ iTunes card off eBay if you were desperate ;)

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah they're around, but juggling two accounts gets annoying when you need to download updates. I did it for a while with a US account before promo codes became worldwide. I'd rather just wait until the UK release :)

18. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    To be honest matey, me too! :p I'm sure there are some out there in the great wide world who would be up for it, though..

I guess it'll be you and me logging onto iTunes at midnight then! The Mrs will love me for that!

19. Lance_TA

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks guys, i will have this in mind.

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010