In app level unlocking

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sauce Digital, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi

My next app will be free to download, coming with some free levels. It will also have a one time in app purchase ($0.99) to unlocked all other levels forever - including any released in future updates.

The game will have about 50 levels at launch.

My quandary is, what is a good number of free levels (out of the 50 total)?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and also any examples of games that do this and how many free levels they included.

Cheers, Morgan

2. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    It depends on the game. I think that IF you go with a free version you should not make it too small. You often see that devs give the first levels away, but those are boring tutorial type levels that do not show the true coolness of the game. Rescue City gave away 20 levels, of 60 total (they have added some more levels since). That worked for me, I knew I really liked the game when I bought the IAP.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well I think 15-20 would be fair. :p Though Cordy only has like 4 out of 24 or something.

4. Sauce Digital

Dec 30, 2008
    thanks for the info. i think 20 is a good number. i was thinking about 15, out of about 60.

5. Sauce Digital

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks for that, i guess 4 isnt too bad if there are 24 in total.

6. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    10 to 15 should be okay. Also, you should try and get levels of varying difficulties. There's nothing worse than getting the fairly easy levels and really enjoy it, buy the full version and find it totally unplayable. Let people know what they're in for. And if your game has it, also include different environments used in the game - eg Snow area, desert area, jungle area etc.