The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jdragoon19, Nov 8, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, I've unlocked 15 of them I meant. Most of them are still level one, but I have a few that have more. I'd say I have about 30 words so for since quite a few of the ones you get during the campaign are maxed out.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The thing is, all the fantasy stuff like dragons, magic, magical weapons, daedric, elven, orcish stuff ect really doesn't appeal to me, in fact I wish they'd left all that crap out of the game!

My Nord character only uses his trusty steel war axe and a hunting bow and he is usually dressed in either fur armour or stormcloak armour. I have much better weapons/armour but I choose not to use them so I either sell them or stash them in my houses. I don't use magic either.

I like to play the game slowly and take my time so I can appreciate the beautiful land of Skyrim. I don't fast travel, so travelling accounts for a large percentage of my play time.

I guess it's unusual for myself as someone who hates fantasy games, to be really enjoying the game. But I see skyrim as a bit different from every other fantasy RPG. It gives you more of an option to play how you want and there's still a lot of real-world stuff in the game.

3. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I plan playing without using fast travel (other than by carriage) when I start my second character. Going to try and play without using quest markers too. Just like Morrowind. :)

4. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    ... Have fun. :)

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #165 backtothis, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    It's funny when you use "Fireball" or any other high impact spells on a dead enemy. Even if it's a dragon, the corpse goes flying into the air and lands somewhere extremely far away.

Edit: Just hit level 80 destruction. Level 20 overall. Got my expert-level spells, sweet.

Wow, that was freaky as hell. I was in the coffin spying on the jester guy for one of the DB quests, and the Night Mother (old wrinkly dead corpse) started talking to me while I was on top of it.

6. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Amen to this. On my first playthrough I didn't know there were carriages that could instantly take you to all the other major towns and thought that you had to manually discover them yourself. That way, the game felt so much more epic and immersive, I remember taking an epic trek from Whiterun to Markarth at level 4 which took around five real life hours. The feeling of showing up at the gates of Markarth, after being lost in the wild for so long that I had almost given up on ever reaching Markarth, and then selling all of my loot and sleeping at an inn was one of the best gaming moments I've ever had in my life.

7. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    5 real hours?! It takes me like 10 mins, not even joking.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You must have been over encumbered?

Either that or you are really bad at navigating :p

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hit 40 hours today. Sadly, so did my roommate after owning the game for just two weeks. Level 21 now with 85 destruction. Tried storm call for the first time with 10 guards chasing me. Was pretty cool seeing lightning strike all of them down slowly. Three missions left in DB to do. They're going by really fast since all you do in each of them is kill someone. No dungeons to explore or anything. Got Shadowmere (horse) from one of the missions. Apparently, it doesn't die since it regenerates hp at an insane rate. Easily exploitable for leveling up combat skills. Has anyone noticed that you can always climb the mountains in just about any Western RPG even if it's like a mile high and almost completely vertical? I always go through the mountains by force climbing them (jump + look up + move forward constantly) instead of keeping to the trails whenever I'm actually required to travel by foot.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #170 backtothis, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Finished up DB today. Astrid's burnt body was even nastier than looking at the Night Mother, goodness. What a reward though..20,000 gold for completing the final part of the quest. At 35,000 gold now, and that's after owning every single spell the mages (CoW + Jarl Castles) around Skyrim sell. 41 hours in, level 22 overall, 87 destruction. I'm just going to say it again though..the game is insanely easy. I'm playing on "expert" mode too apparently. It's way too easy to become incredibly overpowered..that's probably the game's biggest downfall. Otherwise, the combat is less than spectacular. It's the vast world and endless quests that make the game fun. First game I've played where it actually feels like I'm in a 'real' world.

11. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    ...little spoiler heh. Lucky I've finished it already.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #172 backtothis, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    Just had three dragons on the screen at the same time, and it wasn't during a cutscene, lol. Pretty awesome.

Edit: Just killed my first Elder Dragon. That guy had so much freaking hp. I'm level 23 now with 90 destruction. 50 hours in. Currently doing "Liberation of Skyrim," which should be the last part of the Civil War quest. It's been awesome so far being part of mass battles to take over cities. Got extremely bored of The Companions. Will go back to that after finishing this.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #173 backtothis, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Just took over 2 hours to cure myself of Vampirism. It's probably one of the most terribly implemented features in the game, damn.

About to finish The Civil War quest. Just need to finish up The Companions afterwards to be done with all the side quests. At 53 hours now. Level 24.

Edit: Just finished. The mass battles were pretty awesome, but what terrible rewards, lol..

14. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    One of my very few qualms with the game, quest rewards are pathetic, spent nearly all the time (~200 hours save) using self-made items.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, you rarely get a really good equip. The best rewards probably come from the Dark Brotherhood quests. I think you get around 35k total for just finishing the main quests for it, and it only took about 5 hours to complete.

16. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Has anyone here learned how to use the Creation Kit?

17. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    For Oblivion veterans who use an extensive library of mods (thanks to tesnexus), which did you find more fun? A heavily modded Oblivion or lightly modded Skyrim (since mods only recently started coming out)?

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's been a while. Finally played Skyrim again today. Level 28 now with 55 hours. 80 Conjuration and 90 Destruction, woot! Getting along with The Companions storyline.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Whys that lol?? its been pretty much known for year(s).

Also the DLC has been announced which is cool. No details yet but I assume itll be like most Bethesda DLC.