Call of Duty: Zombies - Comprehensive Review and Game Guide

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tmcaffeine, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tmcaffeine

tmcaffeine Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Provided to you by the 21st Brigade
    Zombies Review and Game Guide
    By tmcaffeine

[​IMG]

What is it?
    Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies is a first-person shooting game inspired by the "Nazi Zombies" game mode on the console version of CoD WaW. The object of the game is to survive as many waves of the undead as you can, each increasingly harder. The console version includes 1 map and offers 3 more as DLC (Downloadable Content,) a strategy that the iPhone version is also using. So far, the developers have announced 1 map to be released as DLC. The price and release date have yet to be announced.

Is it worth it?
    CoD Zombies currently will set you back 10 dollars, a cost that may seem a little steep for an iPhone game. Don't be fooled by the platform, though, because Zombies is without a doubt the most console-like game you can purchase for the iPhone. It is a near-perfect clone of its console brother, with very few noticeable differences. The developers did a superb job of bringing the original experience to this platform, even paying attention to smaller details such as the way windows are repaired. Simply put, if you liked the console game, you will probably like this just as much.

As with most early versions, it does have its bugs. Many people have reported constantly losing connection while trying to join online games.

Pros:
    -Virtually the same gameplay as the console version
    -Good looking and detailed graphics for an iPhone game
    -Runs smoothly and is usually lag-free
    -Online play is a blast
    -Only 16 Megabytes

Cons:
    -Only one map for the price
    -Online play can get very laggy if you have a bad host
    -Minor glitches such as losing connection while joining games

If you're still on the fence or have never played Zombies on a console, go watch some gameplay videos. They should give you a good idea of how the gameplay works.

The Guide

The Basics
    Zombies is a game of survival. If you want to survive, you must understand the game. Your goal is to last as many rounds as you can without dying. You die when you get hit twice within a short period of time (a few seconds.) When hit once, your screen will turn red, slowly fading back to normal. If you get hit again while its still red, you will go down. This doesn't necessarily mean you are dead. One of the great benefits of playing co-op is that your friends can revive you before you die. Even if you do die, you become revived at the beginning of the next wave as long as your buddies don't die too.

Killing Zombies
    As knifing is only useful for the first few rounds (each new round means the zombies take one more knife to kill,) you'll need to acquire a good gun. There are many weapons for you to kill zombies with. They can be purchased off of the walls, or you can get a random weapon from the box in the room to the right of where you start. The random weapon box has the advantage of giving you good guns for cheaper than the wall, and giving you guns that you can't get any where else. Of course, it's not all good. The box also has a chance to give you relatively useless guns such as the kar98c. Its okay, though. As long as you start hitting the box early you should have enough time before the zombies get stronger to get a good weapon.

There are few good weapons that you should hope to get from the box. The first is the Browning M191. It is the large black machine gun with a big rectangular sight that should cover up a good deal of your screen when you aim in on your gun. This is one of the most powerful guns in the game, its only downsides its accuracy and slow reload time. It works great when mowing down large groups of spread out zombies. Good secondary weapons are the Trench Gun and the Magnum. The trench gun is a six-shot shotgun, and the magnum is a six shot revolver. The trench gun has the advantage of power, while the magnum has the advantage of long range. Both of these guns will kill zombies in one hit up until fairly high rounds. My suggestion is to keep one of these two guns out at all times, picking off zombies 1 by 1. Then, if you get overwhelmed, you can take out the Browning and kill the zombies threatening you.

Surviving the High Rounds
    If you want make it past round 10, you need to keep two things in mind: strategy and teamwork. In a game where co-operative play is key, these two are essential. Running around and just killing as much as you can is fine on the lower rounds as long as you survive, but when you get further into the game you have to decide your strategy.

Generally, a strategy involved picking a room/area, and "camping" there. You must keep in mind two things: points of entry, and escape. Make sure there are not too many points of entry (windows, doors, stairs, hallways, etc.) and that each one is being watched by one of your team mates. You must also have a plan for escape. When someone gets overwhelmed at their point of entry and the zombies come trickling in, you have to know which route you are going to take out of your camping area if you can't kill them. This is why you should never camp in corners. If you can't manage to kill the zombies in front of you, they will trap you in the corner, almost always ensuring death.

As I stated before, teamwork is as important as strategy. If everyone on your team does not understand the strategy or play their part correctly, you will die. Before the game, use a forum like TouchArcade to plan your strategy. Make sure that while playing you are not only looking out for yourself, but your team mates as well. Cover them while walking around, and assist them if they've been overwhelmed. If one of your team mates dies, that just makes the game harder for you and everyone else. If you decide to break away from your strategy for extended periods of time, you become a risk to your team mates as well. This is because more often than not, trying to run around alone will get you downed. Your team mates will then have to revive you, leaving the strategy as well, and putting themselves and risk.

Thanks for reading. :) If this review/guide has helped you, please consider joining:

The 21st Brigade

The 21st Brigade is a group where you can find friendly people to play and strategize with, get pro tips at the game, and compete with our rival group, The 16th Force. We would be honored to play with you and help you hone your skills, and most of all, have fun! :)
    Join Here

2. Mosaic

Mosaic Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Epic review.

Well done, sir.

3. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    thats a good review...pretty much sums it up for those who are on the fence about buying

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  5. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

6. wythesyn

wythesyn Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Oswego, New York
    Great review, I completely agree with the trench/ browning combo. I use the exact combonation in the console version.

7. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    Yeah, they are very similar. A lot of this guide came from experience on the console version.

8. Pinoykid

Pinoykid Well-Known Member

nice work tmcaffeine

9. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
  10. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    #10 tmcaffeine, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Thanks pinoykid!
    Lol, impressed that much? Maybe you could tell a couple friends about The 21st Brigade.... :p

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve this? I'm considering taking screenshots of the recommended weapons, as the game doesn't tell you what gun you have. I also might talk about the flamethrower once I play the game some more. (haven't got a chance to use it yet.)

And I forgot to mention some example camping spots. I might just take screenshots of the best ones and include them when I make the above revisions.

11. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    yeah ill tell mah friends =P

Flamethrower was pretty good in the console version, so i expect it will be good in the ipod version too.

12. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    Maybe put a link in your sig?

I think they may have tweaked the flamethrower a little bit, since its replacing the sniper and costs 2000.

13. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    So, are all the guns on the walls the same as in the console version (same guns at same places)? Also, is the Alien Blaster still available from the mystery box?

14. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I just realized that this COD might produce another wave of threads like Eliminate. There is already brigade :O Anyway, great review! I just purchased the game :D

15. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

Great review - Thanks ;)

16. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to add two appendixes, one with a picture of each guns icon next to its name(to simplify gun naming for those unfamiliar with the console game,) and another with screenshots and descriptions of my recommended strategies.

I believe most of them are in the same places. And yes, the ray gun is still available from the box, although it now does almost no damage. Most people think this is a glitch.

17. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Great review! Would you have any tips on playing alone? I don't have steady access to wifi right now, so I only play the single player mode.

18. tmcaffeine

Aug 14, 2009
    I may eventually add a section on single-player strategy once I get the chance to play some more. For now I'd recommend trying to use the same strategy as you would with co-op, only you need to be a lot more alert and good with the controls. Practice makes perfect.

19. Bronson15

Bronson15 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    My stats:
    Single player:Round 20
    2 Player:36
    3 Player:15
    4 player:20