Universal The Witness (By Thekla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I must be around the same stage as you. I've solved 105 puzzles. The sheer depth of the game is blowing me away. I love it!

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Could be, but the game is so big you can be anywhere with 105 puzzles solved, the most fun for me is discovering new elements in the puzzles that will help you solve them, first I saw puzzles and didn’t know what to do but when you go somewhere else you find new ways and elements that you need for the previous puzzles you couldn’t solve and so on.

The game looks wonderfull too and so many different scenery’s it’s great fun just to walk around and admire the view.

3. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The thing I loved was when I discovered that there are puzzles hidden everywhere. Not just the obvious ones on panels. With over 500 puzzles to solve in the game, it looks like there is still a lot to discover.

4. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Can anyone confirm if it transfers save files across devices so I can play on iPad and continue on iPhone.

5. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've just been chatting to someone on Twitter who confirmed that it does work. It took a while for the save file to show up on the other device for some reason but it did work

6. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    The atmosphere in this game kind of remind me of the Thalos Principle. I'd love for that game to be ported to mobile... Enjoying the Witness for now.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    So far I'm not feeling the love for this game. It all feels pretty dull with an empty world to walk through and similar line puzzles. I've activated the first beacon and on the way to activate the second one and the puzzles are starting to feel boring to me. I might give it an extra push just to see if there is more here.

8. Daerricx

Daerricx Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Need an opinion

Thinking of getting either the witness or thimbleweed park, any one have both and feedback on which is more enjoyable?

9. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I'm in the same boat, although it's probably just a matter of which one gets purchased first.

10. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    go with the one you can finish up faster. which is definitely not "the witness".

i always prefer getting rid of shorter games so i can feel i am making progress in my backlog.

11. sanderbos

sanderbos Member

Jun 1, 2012
    People asking about iPad Air: I bought it on the iPad Air (1). It actually runs fine. I wonder whether us iPad Air one users get worse graphics, because I do not think it looks all that great (edges are not so smooth, maybe I am spoilt on PC). But the framerate, while certainly not 60fps, is okay (I think it is also not 50fps on more recent hardware). I also like the controls from the 10 minutes I played.

What is not okay is that all the settings are in Chinese for me (or some other Asian character set, but I think it's Chinese). And at first I thought well it's basically a text-less game but now I am getting tutorial like prompts on screen that I really don't know how to interpret, so now it's a problem. Did anybody else have this issue (and fix it)? The language on my iPad is set to Dutch (Netherlands), it's never been a problem except for one other 'game': Smule's magic piano.
    (and I know we are getting a cheap deal with IIRC 11 euro's on iOS, but it still feels crappy that such an in iOS terms expensive game can't get localization right, at least let me choose a language but I do not think any of the Chinese menu's I went through had a language selector)

12. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    It might be ☁️ Puzzle ☁️ Heaven ☁️.

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Loving the game, it feels like I am playing a very modern episode of Lost the T.V.show, it’s creepy as well sometimes, specialy when you never go out of the house like me ha ha.

The game took 6 years to make and it shows, it must have been a puzzle on it’s own to put something like this together, the sound effects for example are really good every surface you walk on or into you hear the correct sounds that’s just great.

14. BlackEyedGamer

BlackEyedGamer Active Member

Sep 15, 2016
    So, unless I'm missing something - this puzzle (on Symmetry Island) - seems impossible?

Attached Files:

15. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Did you tap to swap the blue and yellow starters?

16. BlackEyedGamer

BlackEyedGamer Active Member

Sep 15, 2016
    You know - I thought I had... seems a little counter intuitive, but perhaps that's part of the game's narrative?

Anyway - onwards & upwards. Thanks!

17. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I am due to get a new device soon, I always set them up as new when I do so it’s like a fresh start. If I start the game on my current phone and then install again when I buy my new one do you think it will be ok? The reason I ask is because I have to wipe my current phone and give it back before I get my new one so both won’t be active at the same time to transfer the save.

If anyone can confirm this it would be great as I won’t spend the £9.99 yet if I can’t transfer my save.

18. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Are you keeping track of the completed puzzles manually or is there some way to check in-game? I don't see an option for that but it sure would be nice for us stats freaks.

19. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    If you go to "Load a Game" in settings, the save files will display the number of puzzles that have been solved. (you can just quit back out without actually loading the game)

20. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Ah, thank you, sir. #