Can't Decide between Aralon,The Quest, or just wait.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Supremacy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Supremacy

Supremacy Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Hey guys,
    Well today i discovered the new game Aralon:Sword and Shadow along with The Quest. Aralon for me would be my first pick out of the two, but after large amounts of reading i have discovered these games have quite a lot of hype. The other issue is the price in the Australian app store for Aralon is as far as i can see double what it is in the US store if it's still 6.99 that is (it's 12.99 here).
    I really don't like that they didn't release a demo version of Aralon... The price for The Quest is a lot more handsome, and it has just about as much hype as Aralon but i'd like to tell myself the graphics, sound and movement won't bother me but it is something that at first look may cause me to lose interest, me and retro RPG games don't really go way back.
    I was introduced to RPG's when i was about 6 years old, but have never really grasped many or finished many, about 5 years ago though i got hooked on the MMORPG scene and i've played countless MMO's. Recently i've been playing a lot of Dragon Age, it's my first time in a while NOT playing MMORPG's and having a go at an RPG and I have been both epicly impressed and quite angry at the fact i didn't get back into this scene sooner.
    One thing i would like to mention is that i'm not used to the very retro look of The Quest and it will take time for me to get used to so keep that in mind.

My other consideration is just waiting for a while, it's gonna be the toughest one of all and if i pick this option i'm probably just gonna get The Quest, more and more RPG's are coming out on the iPhone and after Aralon, i suspect more games of this type will be coming out this year.

So tell me, which would you reccomend out of The Quest, or Aralon?
    I honestly cannot decide for myself... I've pushed myself into a corner.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Wrong section dude. Thats alright though! I would personally go with Aralon. Nice big open world RPG + Beautiful Graphics = Must Have!

ps- Welcome to Touch Arcade:cool:

3. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Welcome to Touch Arcade! There is a thread for "what should I get?" questions; however I will go ahead and answer now. Aralon is a lot better than the quest.

4. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I'm gonna go with what will obviously be the smaller opinion on these forums, what with how far up Aralon's butt everyone is, and suggest the Quest. Aralon is a console experience, which is great when you have time to sit down with a game, but I use my iPod as a quick gaming device when bored, and for that, the Quest is perfect. Hardly drains the battery, and it's basically turn-based, meaning I don't have to watch the game the whole time. Plus, there are SO MANY expansions for once you beat the main game.

Just my two cents.

5. Supremacy

Supremacy Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Oh is it? Sorry about that :p
    Thanks for the replys guys. If you think it's worth the extra 7 bucks i guess i'll go for it. And thanks for the kind welcomes too :)

6. Supremacy

Supremacy Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Thanks magihiro, i was hoping for someone to put their 2 cents in for The Quest as well. That's kinda how i feel about my ipod touch too, i want something as full of contant as The Quest and Aralon but i also want to be able to play them in small segments at a time with of course larger segments of gameplay for when i'm not on the go and don't have the time or energy to load up the PC and play Dragon Age or whatever.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I prefer the free game undercroft over the quest I'd try that first and if you like it maybe the quest is worth trying if not I guess Aralon.

8. Dx_0628

Dx_0628 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Creating ideas for future gaming.
    N.o.v.a. 2 ftw!!!

9. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Then yeah, I'd DEFINITELY suggest the Quest. My main concern over the game was the graphics, just as you said. But I quickly got used to it, and didn't find it a hindrance at all.

And what's nice about the game is that, even when you DO have time to play for hours, it's a game you can easily get lost in. When I first got it I think I played it for about 4 hours straight.

Now, I'm not an Aralon opposer. I've got both. And Aralon is quite impressive on the system, and if you're looking for an Elder Scrolls like experience, a console like game where you sit down for hours, plugged in to a charging source, then I'd definitely suggest Aralon over the Quest.

But the Quest is definitely the better of the two when it comes to portability, my #1 importance in any iTouch game.

10. Supremacy

Supremacy Member

Dec 29, 2010
    well, i'm putting my faith in magihiro on this one. I played that undercroft game for a bit, and the graphics in that one and the more basic play style and movement weren't much of a hindrance for me. I have confidence i will enjoy The Quest quite a lot now.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well, I can't resist throwing a spanner in here; true story though: loved Undercroft, could never get into The Quest even after numerous attempts (and the graphics had little to do with it.)

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Quest has a Lite, IIRC - I'd try that first and see if you like it. Oh, and Undercroft is a great game too and could occupy you for 30+ hours while you decide between the other two.

13. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Aside from the graphics, The Quest all the way.

14. You do know there is a lite version for The Quest, right?

As for Aralon vs The Quest... In Aralon's current state, I would actually go for The Quest right now.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #15 squarezero, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Aralon in it's current state plays perfectly fine on a 4th gen device (such as the OPs). The real question is how you define an immersive experience. If you're looking for a detailed, oblique story with many branching paths and don't mind a lot of reading (and can forgive less than brilliant prose), check out the Quest. If you want a game that let's you convincingly explore a visually rich world (and don't mind a more straightfoward -- and familiar -- story), then check out Aralon. Personally I didn't have the patience for the Quest, but understand it's appeal.

BTW I know that fans of the Quest like to pride themselves in looking past "the graphics," but there are many other reasons besides the graphics that someone might prefer Aralon.

16. bigE1669

bigE1669 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IT
    Ill
    Are you playing Aralon on a touch 2G? How is that possible?

17. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #17 Stirolak26, Dec 29, 2010
    See this is what i was talking about when I made this post:
    http://toucharcade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78722

Why do u guys act like the ipad doesnt exist with its great battery life and console experience like screen and feeling when making suggestions. Come on, just get one already. You know you want to.

18. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #18 Stirolak26, Dec 29, 2010
    You dont have to sit with an idevice in a charger when playing aralon unlike the pod if you own the pad. Just get one guys its worth it.

19. When judging The Quest vs Aralon, I ignored the graphics. IMO, both are fine, I see nothing wrong with The Quest's or Aralon's. What I compared was the gameplay - Aralon seems more like an ARPG than The Quest which is a bit more like a strategy RPG. The Quest IMO is much more immersive with thousands of weapons, items, armour types... Aralon doesn't have that much going for it at the moment, sadly.
    Mabye in the future, Aralon? Right now, The Quest.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Again, it depends on how you define immersive. For the Quest to work for me at that level it would have to be a lot better written. In it's current state I find it to be a poorly paced bore. Thousands of weapons don't do much for me if they don't provide a visceral experience -- they're just names on a character sheet.

Aralon is and always be an action RPG. As such, it has plenty of content (though of course it could be expanded). If that's not what the OP is looking for, then he should look elsewhere.