iPad Spider-Man: Total Mayhem - (by Gameloft) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Nevermind. I just found out from the TA review that there's (bad) voice-acting. Purchased! lol

I loved Spider-Man 2 on the Xbox (so many elements were amazing, and free roam tied it all together) as well as the comic-based Spider-Man game after that. It feels like they're milking the brand now after releasing a few Spider-Man games that got near-perfect critic ratings. I wish this had free-roam, but it should be fun playing on my iPhone.

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Game Impressions

WOW!
    It's 6 AM here in Germany, but I can't put this game down.
    Besides N.O.V.A., this is the best Gameloft game to date.

Downside: the story is just stupid, without any consistency and ridiculous.

BUT: everything else... wow! The graphics are nice (retina shine), although quite simple - but you can destroy many objects in the environment (cars, tables, stuff like that). The music is great and has a certain Batman (Nolan) touch. The fighting is AWESOME. It's just so much fun to fight in this game, way, way better then Avatar, HOS and friends. Many moves, beautiful moves, Spidy moves :) Controls are pretty perfect. I love it.

As I said, 6 AM and I still wanna continue playing.
    Big thanks to Gameloft, you know the system like just a few other devs.

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

Unless their planning a Capt. America game they could dust off Red Skull!

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Agreed, Kingpin is the man. Any time a fat bald dude with no powers can consistently kick ass when fighting superheroes, he's cool in my book.

Plus he's kind of like Al Capone as portrayed in The Untouchables.

6. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Red Skull would be the shiznit too.

7. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Lol. I remember that guy. He hypnotized a bunch of go go dancers and they robbed the disco club. (I'm such a comic book dork).

How about...The Walrus!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    darn, was hoping for some Toby McGuire squeals

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Btw, the app icon is a beauty!

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    + a helluva lot more than 1

11. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Game Impressions

I just finished the first level. I can at least say that the game is much better than any Spider-Man game I've played on the DS. Production values could be considered beaten by Spider-Man 2 on the PSP, but that game is a few years old and cost $43 more. So far, the story is laughable and dialog is horrible (though Gameloft gets a thumbs up for including voice-acting at all). I'm missing a real story with other characters. I hope I run around as plain, old Peter Parker, that's always made Spidey games more fun since you juggle both lives.

Now that that's out of the way, combat is fun. There's a lot of combos that work well together, and implemented nicely (though they're not original in the Spidey gaming universe). Web-slinging to fly around is poor when there aren't circles showing you what to grab onto. Part of the fun of a Spidey game is swinging around from building to building. Graphics pop on the iPhone 4, and if a true 2D look in a fully 3D game is going to be accomplished anytime soon, it'll be on the Retina Display.

It's a pretty fun game, bringing back memories of Spider-Man 2 on Xbox, as well as countless other Spider-Man games I've played on devices dating back to the GameBoy Color. Well this is far from Spider-Man 2 in terms of everything (as expected), this is fun and worth $6.99. The combat system and the graphics make the game, both fortunately and unfortunately (swinging around NYC without markers could have made the game, among other things).

12. senorian

senorian Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    um, you do know that Toby McGuire is no longer Spider-man right? There's no chance they will hire a guy who isn't Spider-man in the upcoming movie to do the voice work.
    And, Gameloft is notorious for having the worst voice work in video games ever. Just listen to how bad N.O.V.A. and Modern Combat Sandstorm's voice work are

13. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I think he was referring to the movies. There's no point in having Tobey doing voice-work for any game, he sucks at that. Spiderman movie games are proof of that. Whoever gave the voice to spidey doesn't really matter as long as the gameplay is good enough. BTW, I agree with someone here who mentioned that the character model looks off since it looks like spidey is all grown up. He is supposed to be much thinner and has a bigger head to qualify as Ultimate Spider-man. As it is, it looks more like the one from Activision's Spider-Man game for PS1.

14. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Just bought it, impressions forthcoming...

15. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Anyone else having install issues? It's been trying to download it onto my iPod for over the last hour! It gets to about 50%, then restarts. I've resorted to downloading it onto iTunes and then syncing my iPod.

Just a nuisance :(

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #136 lord-sam, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Ahh man, gameloft's put me in a bad mood for the day! I entered the competition to win the fame but was beaten by someone with the same answer as me at the same time as me :(

17. Wingy

Wingy Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I just picked this up this morning - first impressions are great.

Comparing this to the last gameloft game I played (HOS2) this is much improved.
    Fast flowing, fun beat em up action with ok camera and easy to use upgrade system. I like how if you fall off a building (maybe due to the camera) you are giving another chance to jump back up by actioning a QTE rather then dying.
    It also plays very smoothly on the aging 3G unlike HOS2.
    Of course I am a big spidey fan and the chance to fight some classic baddies adds to the value.

18. Zipper Man

Zipper Man Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Any word on an iPad version? Don't want to put money down on the iPhone one if an iPad version appears soon...

Sorry if it has been answered before in the thread but there are so many posts now.

19. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    They usually do, about a month after iPhone release.

20. Zipper Man

Zipper Man Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Yeah that's what I figured....really want the game but as I will be playing it on an iPad anyway it seems I may as well wait...