Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Which version of iOS? Also, I am vaguely remembering a bug relating to this that we fixed.

2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #202 Nachtfischer, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    So, I recently got into KODP and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm even already considering putting it on my Top 10 video games of all time.

Anyways, it's quite obvious that there is no similar game to this gem. But I wonder, if there are recommendations for games, that could scratch the same itches as KODP. While the civilization part is the big framework, the focus and uniqueness of the game lies very much in the random events and the dynamic storytelling emerging from those. So, while lovers of civilization building aspects probably have some games to explore (e.g. Civ: Revolution, Starbase Orion, since yesterday there's also Legion etc.), I wonder if there are other games with that kind of emergent storytelling through randomized events occuring.

I could really only think of Organ Trail, which is obviously based on random events, but doesn't really span that kind of a huge narrative experience. Well, there's also Weird Worlds, but that's even less "epic".

Any other games worth mentioning here?

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While I'm not far into it yet and don't think it's close to the genre you're looking to...but The Lords of Midnight feels epic. Cant tell if things are randomized as I only did 2-3 play throughs so far, but the game "feels" big to me.

4. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Yeah, I read someone calling it a "spirituel predecessor" of KODP, but I couldn't really 100% figure out how the game plays from any video or review. Could be a "normal" adventure/rpg with a predefined story. Well, I should probably go through some postings of the Lords of Midnight thread... :p

5. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I too have had a hard time getting into LoM and KoDP is easily my favorite game on iOS so even if they're somewhat similar I feel your pain. Is there more games like this from the original dev? Is there a true sequel or prequel of this game? I would dig that even if it isnt on ios.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    If you mean on iOS only, I can't think of any. On PC, there's Academagia: The Making of Mages, which is pretty much like playing your way through a fantasy novel, except the plot isn't fixed. A fantastic game, definitely worth a look.

7. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Well. I'd play a good game on any platform actually.

As for Academagia: I've heard that mentioned before as a similar kind of game. But I'm a bit afraid of its very slow pace and grindy nature, which both also get mentioned frequently in connection with this game. It's definitely on my "interesting"-list, though.

8. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    From what I tried, the game is played through a 8 way "first person view". Each character/party can look in 8 "compass" direction, and you pick to move in one of the directions. From the first person view, you can see the landscape, any landmark, any monsters in front of you, and any armies in front or even in the distance. There's an overview map to show your location, what you've discovered, and the location of your parties. As I mentioned, I can't tell if anything is random from the 2-3 play through..but it feels like a lot of things may be scripted.

From the manual, there's multiple ways to play the game. I've just did random exploring since its the first few times I'm playing. Eventually, I'd probably try to go for the hardest ending.

I'll put a spoiler tag for some things I've seen.
    I seem to be able to find items, recruit armies, protect keeps you come across, persuade other "heroes" to join, fight armies and monsters, and just generally explore.

Anyways, hope this gives you a little idea of what to expect. I bought this basically blind a few weeks ago. Videos also didn't give me a good idea of what to expect. Its a pretty fun game..but hard too. And while the manual isn't as large as KoDP, its probably helpful to eventually read it.

9. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Thanks for the insight. Sounds pretty interesting to me. And there also seems to be quite some replay value. At least multiple playthroughts without seeing the same stuff over and over again. I might give LOM a try soon. :)

10. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Excuse the double post.
    So I tried LOM and enjoy it quite a bit. It really has an epic feel to it, especially if you go for the victory by war condition. A thing rarely seen in iOS games. More devs should take the plunge and go for KODP- and LOM-greatness.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Glad you're enjoying it. Of course the comment can go in the Lords of Midnights thread too. ;)
    Speaking of which, I should give it another go this weekend too.

12. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #212 Riotgirl, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    After 23 years, 5 years after Clan Ling received the 10 Year Ring, animosity amongst our Tribe reached fruition. Clan Ling met the other Clans on the field of battle, and then nobly renounced the Throne rather than spill more blood.

Our Clan deeds were unmemorable, but the other Clans respected the strength of our warriors, and our commitment to trade commendable.

Notable events include a Carl by the name of Thadart, captured by Tusk Raiders during exploration, returning to the Clan many years later, disfigured; the Clan Ring intervening for other Carls to accept him; finding him a bride from a friendly, neighbouring clan; even asking our ancestors to lift his curse passing to his children!

Also, a Clan Ring member, who served the Trickster god, duelling an offended Duck warrior of Humakt, and ending up being decapitated!

A truly wonderful game.

Note: David, did the game sell enough (across all platforms) to consider a spiritual successor set in Glorantha? The late 90s was truly an halcyon period for gaming. I wonder whether the Kickstarter phenomenon will result in another Golden gaming period, allowing smaller, indie developers showcase and develop products that my not receive funding from publishers (unless another COD, Fifa product).

13. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    For more discussion (including statements by David Dunham) on the possibility of another game set in Glorantha visit the official blog's comments section here.

By the way, has anybody heard of Road Of Kings? This game sounds pretty interesting and will feature "hundreds of random events" according to the developers. Maybe there'll finally be another iOS scratch for the "emergent-storytelling-itch". :)

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Is it possible for King of the Dragon Pass to add an easy newbie mode? To slowly ease us non hardcore but kingdom sim curious in...

Caveat: I own a copy of King of the Dragon Pass.

15. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    So is your problem not understanding the mechanics or the actual difficulty? I believe the ios version is already quite a bit easier (and more streamlined) than the pc version. Also there is a decent tutorial leading through the first year.
    Apart from that I would strongly suggest reading the manual at some point (not right away maybe, discovery can also be fun). After that you should have a decent idea what is going on in the game and then there are still forums, faqs, videos with commentary etc. Or just ask here for specific things, some people will know.

It is really worth it investing yourself in this game. :)

16. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009

I would add to that that if you want an easy mode to win the game easily, it may not be the right approach. I feel some of the pleasure comes from the progressive discovery of the world, the deepening of your knowledge of the lore in subsequent trials. Any "failed" attempt is just as rich and satisfactory as a victory, if definitely frustrating on some level.

If the problem comes more from the understanding/mastering of the mechanics of the game, try to think that they appear a bit obscure because the game is so rich adn rewarding in the end!

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I can understand the appeal of the richness in King of the Dragon Pass, that is also why I bought it. In the 80s, I would have devoured the manual, mechanics and all, but life being so busy nowadays...

I can also see that fans would rather maintain the status quo as that is the KotDP that they love. Just that these games that need so much time and work not working out for me, so floating the idea to the developer. If he bites, good. If not, I had also already voted to support KotDP by buying it...

18. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    That is unfortunately very true. It is so much easier to turn on a game for the 10 mere free minutes I have here and there, than just sit and decide that
    i'll play KoDP for an hour.

19. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #219 Nachtfischer, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Very true. The approach of Dwarf Fortress or roguelikes in general definitely helps: Losing is fun! Even tragic and miserable events happening to your clan can make up a great story to tell.

I actually didn't find it too hard to get into the game. And as the game is mostly about reading anyways, the manual is not that big of a deal.
    I'd say it takes two hours at most before everything became pretty clear. The game is rich and deep but not that complicated. There really are worse examples requiring much more "work".

I often play KODP for 10 minutes here and there. Just going through a few more seasons/events. It's much better suited to that type of gaming that you would think. ;)

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Road of Kings sounds very interesting indeed, I was thinking of starting a thread about it, but according to their website they are only developing for Android, at least initially.