iPhone Brogue (by Seth Howard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Just downloaded this game, this past Saturday. Holy cow is it fantastic.

2. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    1.7.4 Now in the App Store

Brogue has been updated to 1.7.4 (app ver. 1.2.0). Check out a full its of changes on the app page.

1.2.1 has been submitted and is expected to release later this week. The update finally includes repeating directional buttons (long press on the onscreen directional controls to repeat a movement in a specific direction) as well as support for blue tooth keyboards on iOS7+.

3. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    Nice! Thanks for the work!

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Can we please please please get this converted to iPhone! At least iPhone 6+. This would be an amazing game to have on a "truly mobile" device.

Have been playing it on my iPad lately, and my addiction is so bad, I need this on my iPhone stat.

5. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #125 zen_mode, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    If you have a Mac with Xcode 7, you can already build it to run on iPhone. You only need to add one additional library but the instructions are already on the repo.

I've been running it on my iPhone 6 (not plus) for a couple of months now and it's been an absolute blast. So much so that I don't even touch Pixel Dugeon anymore which is a brogue-like. I prefer it to playing on iPad most of the time and the controls work great once you get used to it.

The d-pad is cut from view but you don't need it. You double tap to go to an area when precision is not required. You hold down and bring up the magnifying glass to go somewhere when precision is required, and finally you only attack enemies/throw items etc by double clicking on the enemy title on the left panel to ensure you don't mis click. By adopting these habits it plays geat even on an iPhone 6. Menues are the only thing that are little crampy but still manageable.

I hope this helps anyone that stumbles across this thread and had hopes of running it on iPhone.

The biggest problem is I can't enter a custom seed like on iPad but I might fix this myself when I get around to it.

Screenshot is from running on iPhone 6.

Edit: link to source files and instructions:

https://github.com/sethhoward/Brogue-iPad/blob/master/README.md

Attached Files:

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Omg zen mode that is amazing!

But, I have a question/comment I'd like to put to you. I actually did try install the ipa on my 6+ (jailbroken). I just loaded the ipa in and installed using installer. Trouble is it comes up showing like a quarter of the screen zoomed in. That's just how it loads the start screen so can't progress. Seen some apps do this.

So, I have tried, but without using Xcode 7 as you specified. My question is, do you think that what I did is practically the same? Because mines jailbroken I can just go ahead and try and load in straight up. Or are you doing something in Xcode that adjusts the screen resolution, which is what I could be missing?

Cheers

7. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #127 zen_mode, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Yes there is a difference. Building it in Xcode will allow you to set it as a universal app, which will in turn resize it to fit the resolution of your device. The app has actually been designed to run on iPhone this way. It's something that was tested, it just can't be published to the Store because it doesn't meet the minimum size for touch targets as a universal app. On the other hand the jailbreak method will just shoehorn the iPad ipa onto your device.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ^ awesome. Am away from the MacBook for nearly two weeks, but looking forward to giving this a go when back. Never used xcode 7 before so fingers crossed

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Update: with the help of Zen I managed to build this and get it running "properly" on my 6+. Minor nuances being the "seed" button on the title page has gone awol so I can't do any seed games. I also entirely deleted the direction pad from the code as on a 6+ the pad was showing up skewed to the top left and I couldn't work out / have time to move it properly so just deleted.
    BUT, on this point, something I just worked out from the iPad version but untested on iPhone is that if you two finger pinch on the direction pad......it goes away!! Tadaaa! So no need to delete the dpad from the code actually.
    If you can do some simple-ish Xcode building (there's a bit more than that), then this runs adequately on iPhone as zen found.

10. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #130 zen_mode, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    iPhone 6 with d-pad. Had some weirdness when shrinking it, so I've had to keep it large for now. You can still select items on the left panel by tapping around the d-pad. Also added the seed button to title screen.

Attached Files:

11. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #131 zen_mode, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Ok version 2, with it moved slightly over to the right so I can more easily access the left panel. It looks a bit ridiculous but it's actually quite comfortable. I usually like having the d-pad away from the bottom left as it feels cramped there, which is why I had it half way up the screen even in the first version. When you think about it, many other dungeon crawlers on iOS have you controlling the area directly around your character, so this is not that far off from that and feels more natural having your thumb closer to the centre of the screen, for me anyway.

Only thing I'll probably change is making it more transparent. Yes it's also oversized but I have to calculate and resize each arrow individually (can multi-select to move, but not resize for some reason) and also resize the png file to fit exactly, so will be a bit to tedious for little to no benefit.

Attached Files:

12. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #132 zen_mode, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    If you want to add the seed button to iPhone, use this modified source file for ViewController.xib:

http://pastebin.com/raw/gCa5g6f2

Note that the keyboard will obscure the entry field when entering a seed but you can see its contents by pushing the voice to text button.

To get the d-pad, use this modified source file for DirectionControlsViewController.xib:

http://pastebin.com/raw/6hkFuVHX

I have tested in iphone 6 and 6 plus resolutions only. Not sure that they will display correctly for other resolutions, and I wouldn't recommend a screen smaller than the iPhone 6 anyway.

13. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I hope the officially-recommended Brogue Tiles (Source), by Oryx Design Lab, will be added to this excellent version of the game.

I also noticed a few odd keyboard command text, while playing, but it wasn't a big deal.

14. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    What gives?

Had to restore my iPad, come back to reinstall this & itÂ’s not on the store any longer (UK).

I want my Brogue back :(

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Something about the guy who compiled it and loaded it to the store couldn't justify the yearly $100 to apple for a dev account to have this on the store.

The game is actually open source so apparently you can get the core project and compile it in Xcode and load it to your device yourself if you want and can do that stuff.

But I still wish it was on the AppStore yes.