Porting from xcode to visual studio. How?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Balloon Loons, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to port their app over from an xcode project to visual studio. I know they are two different languages. But I was wondering if its possible and if there is a simple way of doing it. Would be great if there was something that automated the process :).

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. glaze

glaze Member

Nov 17, 2011
    iOS game programmer
    Finland
    Xcode is not a language, maybe you mean Objective-C and want to port it to C++ or C#? Keep in mind that you can also write iOS games in C++ so porting them is easier.

3. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Yup. I know objective c is the xcode language. We already have balloon loons written in objective c but wish to make a port of the game that is playable on other platforms. So I was asking if there is something that can automate this process.

Or. Better yet. Is anyone willing to help us here?? Please message me here or privately and let me know and let me know your fee as well. Thanks!

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    You'll need to port your game to c++, that would be the easiest from Objective C (still a huge task).

I create all my games on PC (c++ with my own cross platform engine). I have just few files specific to each platform. Everything else is 100% compatible (game code & datas), making it extremely simple to distribute anything games on all platforms.

An example with Jump Birdy Jump that you can find on:

iPhone, iPod, iPad.
    PC Win32,
    Mac Store,
    BlackBerry Playbook & BB10,

I'll be porting my engine to Android, and all my games will be available on this platform once the engine is ported.

JC

5. GameHopping

GameHopping Active Member

Frankly, you are looking at a rewrite.
    Might want to look at multi-platform from the start. I am studying Unity now.
    (Example is 10000000 which is very popular in iOS and in now going to Steam for Windows and Mac).
    I do my iOS coding in C++ (with minimal Objective C) but I am having issues with C# (for unity scripting) getting to do what I want to do with tons of static data (like complex NPC definitions).

6. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I think your best hope is to port the code to C++. This is why I never advice anyone to write their entire games (or even worse, their entire engines) in a language other than C or C++.

All my code is C++ with the graphics in OpenGL and DirectX, so I can support any platform that uses either of those. Only the bare minimum of code for setting up the game is in Obj-C. That's a necessary evil, but not too much of a pain since you write it at the beginning and mostly ignore it afterwards.

7. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So the question remains. Anyone out there want to help us rewrite?