POCKET PAPER WARS - turn based tactics - ONLINE!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by traylorpark, Aug 23, 2012.

1. traylorpark

traylorpark New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    #1 traylorpark, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hey Guys!

My name is Peter, and I've got this cool project that I'd like to share with you all!

It's currently called Pocket Paper Wars (though that might change). It's being made by my little dev group, Riot and Park.

It is a turned based strategy game with similarities to Advance Wars, but also with some distinct differences that make this a tactics game unlike anything you have played before.

The game is meant to be easy to pick up and play for a few minutes. Anybody with some knowledge of tactics games should be able to quickly start this up. The game designed to be very intuitive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GAMEPLAY:

Paper Wars is based around 3 units. Each unit is balanced in a "Rock Paper Scissors" fashion against another unit. However, each unit also has a special move that gives it unique strategic opportunities and balances against that unit's weakness.

Another way Paper Wars is different is in that you have 3 moves per turn. This means you can move the same unit 3 times, attack with the same unit 3 times, or do whatever you want! You can also save your un-used moves for the next turn, giving you a tactical edge in the heat of a battle.

FEATURES:

Paper Wars will have the usual Single Player skirmishes. The game will also launch with Hot Seat Multiplayer and Online Multiplayer!

Custom Servers! You can make them and host a game just for your and your friends. Paper Wars will allow you to input the address of a custom server and we will be putting up the server binary on our website when the game goes live.

We will have 3 beautifully crafted, paper style maps at launch, that challenge you in unique ways. The AI will be very skilled and will certainly put your tactics abilities to the test.

CONNECT:

We don't have a definite date for launch yet, but we getting very close to the finish. Initial price will probably be 99 cents.

Once this first version is completed, we will continue to make more FREE downloadable maps for you to play on in addition to more fully fleshing out the multiplayer and single player modes.

The first release will only be the start.
    We hope to create an amazing community of Paper Wars fans!

Check out the website riotandpark.com and connect on our IRC channel!
    Or Twitter @riotandpark

2. emdash

emdash Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    artist / Art Director
    Oakland, CA
    That looks really interesting. Myself, I'm always a sucker for turn-based strategy. Your art style looks really inventive and unique. I'm looking forward to seeing it in motion. Good luck and keep us informed (and drop a line if you need beta testers! ;) )

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Loving the artwork here. Any word on iPad/retina support?

4. mustPushCart

mustPushCart Active Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I cant tell what the gameplay is gonna be but the artwork looks amazing!

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Im down for any new TBS :)

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wow this looks great! :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That artstyle... Brilliant.

Looking forward to playing the game. Looks instabuy to me. I see there is multiplayer as well so this is looking real good.

8. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm impressed from the artwork... Is there any video? I'd like to see all this stuff in motion.

9. traylorpark

traylorpark New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind words! It's really encouraging! I know the turn based strategy folks don't have many options in the app store, I felt the same way. So we don't wanna make this game in a vacuum, we will be very interested in your feedback and opinions as we make this a game that you wanna play.

For sure! I understand it tough to get a sense of the action from some stills. We are currently in the middle of a UI re-design, once we get that kicking in a few days, I'll do some video's for you.

In the meantime, our website riotandpark.com has some tutorial videos! Keep in mind though, that is an older version of the game. So visually it has changed (for the better).

MidianGTX, at the moment, I'm afraid not. At least not for the iPad (retina on iPhone/iPod yes). The only reason for this is because we have no iPad currently, so we have no way to ensure the game is still a quality experience.

I don't want to keep it off the iPad, of course not! So, maybe if this game sells well enough, we'll be able to afford the iPads needed for a good port :)