What is the best option for my brother?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zakoth, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Zakoth

Zakoth Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Student
    Yorkshire, England
    He wants to do iOS development when he is older and is going to be choosing his options in the coming weeks and is stuck between French and Media Studies.

His other 2 options are;

Computing
    Business Studies

Which do you think will help him more; French or Media?

2. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

The BEST thing he can do, is simply pick up a book and start learning.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

First off the language space is too crowded especially for French. Spanish and Chinese are way better choices. If he has a thick English accent he should learn Canadian first.

As far as the programming goes I wouldn't waste my time going to university. By the time your brother gets out of university everything will have changed in IOS development. He needs to dig in now like racing spider is saying.

4. What terrible advice. University is only a waste of time if you choose to waste your time. There is more to learning and life than programming. In fact, learning about other areas can be extremely beneficial to your programming & design abilities in ways you can't even imagine yet.

Also, if he studies computer science, guess what? The fundamentals are still the same today and I graduated 20 years ago. Are the lots of new things since then? Of course, but having a solid base makes the new stuff much easier to pick up.

It certainly won't hurt to start learning iOS dev at the same time, but not going to university IS likely to hurt your brother's future career options.

5. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Definitely language studies, French or else. Media can be self-taught and there will be overlap with business.