Drag Racer 4 : Perfect Run

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AdamTelfer, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamTelfer

AdamTelfer Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    #1 AdamTelfer, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
    Not sure how many have played it, but "Drag Racer" was an incredibly popular flash racing game a few years ago. I developed it, and since about January 2009 I've started developing a new version of it for the iPhone with touch controls, easier interfaces and a much more polished engine.

Here's the youtube vid of the gameplay :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUshaDhK8M

[hqyoutube]OOUshaDhK8M[/hqyoutube]

Let me know what you think! The game is pretty massive already and we're planning for a late April release with full customization of about 25 cars, a big tournament structure, tons of challenges and in the future an online mode where players can connect to each other and race/trade their cars (we're planning this to happen with the release of the 3.0 SDK so we can take advantage of Bluetooth connectivity).

Thanks,
    Adam Telfer

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I think it sounds like you aren't rushing it and that, to me, is a sign of a proud, smart developer;)

What you've outlined I'll probably check it out. Thanks for posting this on TA and welcome. Good luck with the game,

Richard

3. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Looks like you're putting a lot of work into it, and most importantly, a lot of options for us as the people who play the game.
    Sounds great and will definitely be keeping an eye out on this one....

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Is the framerate a bit choppy or is it just on my end?

5. theishkid

theishkid Well-Known Member

OMG I use to love that game! I can't wait for this one to hit the store!

6. MattH

MattH Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Wow, I used to play that. If you have a Nissan 350Z look-a-like care im sold!

7. AdamTelfer

Mar 31, 2009
    Definetly a 350Z0-like car, we're trying to bring all the cars back, just changing up back lights or slight mods to the car to keep it legal.

Thanks for the feedback! we're definetly trying to keep it slow and polished. We don't want to post and then watch it plummet into the void that is the appstore right now. There's alot of other racing games on there and we want to differentiate from them as much as we can (since it really isn't a typical racing game at all).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this it would be much appreciated. We're putting alot of time into usability and interface design so that people can get excited about the game just by looking at the pictures in the app store. Other then that we're looking into pricing strategies that will differentiate us from the other big racing apps like pink slips and need for speed. And, of course, we're working on making sure the core game is the same as the original drag racer that everyone got addicted to so easily. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks.

8. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Some requests

I think a wifi online would be awesome, and also a local multiplayer so you can play against your friends close by. And for the manual option if you could shift it with your fingers sort of like using the mouse in the flash version would be cool.

Thanks and good luck this game looks like its going to be great!!!

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    When I read the title, I thought this was going to be like RuPaul's TV show. Now that would be a fun game.

10. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The shift mechanism is brilliant! Has that ever been done before on a touch screen device?

11. theishkid

Any updates on this Adam? I don't know of another game that I have looked more forward to. I'm sure you don't need any but I'd just like to offer my services as a beta tester if needed.

12. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    wow i played this on a site a while back and loved it!! price?

13. theishkid

Is there any news of this game yet???

14. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    the graphics of the game are really underwhelming.

you should put much more effort into the graphics if you want to sell this to more people than just a few freaks.

15. theishkid

With all due respect, I believe you are wrong. They are trying to keep it to the original, very popular, flash game (popular like 5 - 10 years ago).

I think this is the perfect mix of nostalgia with just the right type of graphics for the game. Meaning you don't need full 3D rendering and ultra realistic lighting for this side scrolling game.

I just wish these guys would get back on here and talk about it and when it's coming out. They said April... April is almost over. They also seem to have no website or links to myspace pages or anything.

16. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    first: "old" means not always "good"

second: no one talks about full 3d and ultra realistic lightning here. but one can certainly ask for a game with a little bit polished 2d graphics. this looks like its drawn together with adobe illustrator and thats not necessarily a good thing. especially in the customization screen there is certainly more work needed.

17. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    omg i used to love that game, i played ti like 24/7 when i was addicted to flash games :)D) lol, i cant wait for this, what will be the price point on this..

18. AdamTelfer

Mar 31, 2009
    We're moving along well with the final version, we're just updating the interfaces to a better version and doing alot of tweaking to the engine and gameplay so it will be alot more indepth.

Thanks for all your comments! It's really motivating to hear that people really want to play the game, and we'll try to get it out as soon as possible. we've hit a scheduling conflict now, and Id like to release this in the next month, but I'm not going to release the game unless it's in polished form.

As for price, we're planning on setting it free for the first week to get people playing it, people talking about it, etc. Then move up price points as more people join on and updates are added to the game. This way, since we have minimal marketing, we'll let word of mouth take the charge and hopefully the name and the quality of the game will sell itself.

If you guys have any suggestions for cars, want to help out or have any suggestions for anything else, let me know! Best way to contact me is via email.

19. slammedchevy

slammedchevy New Member

May 4, 2009
    i am REALLY looking forward to the realease of this game..i made an account on here just to reply to the post..ive kept up with the versions as they came out and loved them all..the only game where u can tune/mod/ and dress up the car. next time u post can u include what month it will be released?? in may or june?? jus makin sure ur pushin the date by 2 months.

ok and for cars to add to the game sport trucks would be awsome..ford lightning..silverado ss...srt-10 truck.ect..just some ideas. good job on all the work and quality put into the previous games..and the graphics to me are right on spot with the style of the game. nice to see it similiar to the original

20. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Whoa!! I am blown away! I cannot wait to get this game. This looks amazing