Deep thoughts about technology provoked by 6 Gun.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GoofyJmaster., Dec 7, 2011.

1. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Stock Android UI, while not tacky to me, is plain, but with customization apps like ADW or Go it can look however you want. Change folder sizes, the amount of screens you can have, the way you get notifications, even changing the dock, and the amount of icons it can hold. I use Go Launcher and Go SMS Pro (both free apps) and have gotten more questions about what I have than when I used an iPhone. If I rooted it, I could do even more, but don't feel the need to at this point. With ICS making its way out, it's really going to be a thing of beauty.

As for OnLive, I love the concept. My concern is the amount of data it eats up. I'm not always around a wifi connection, and give Verizon enough money every month for my 4G without adding on extra charges for going over my 5 Gigs, so I don't really see it as very viable for a lot of people at this point.

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I think the UI is definitely based on preference. Personally, I like the Android UI way more then the iPhone's.

I highly, highly doubt we go past 64GB, especially on Google. Companies want to implement the cloud more. If they do this, you could virtually use a 16GB device and be fine. This is the direction I want to go in, but it's up for developers to include cloud based service in their apps!
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-Google-wants-to-kill-SD-cards-and-whats-holding-them-back_id23986

As far as On-Live, I'll probably pass. I'm happy with the premium games that are being made for mobile devices. What I'm not happy with is optimization and freemium models like Gameloft's. If anything, i want to see more Android and iOS games made for TV compatibility.

3. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    definitely preference - but I don't think I could ever go back to non-jailbroken iOS - as I dislike how Apple handled folders, and would miss all the control I have within jailbroken iOS.

I do want more space on my device over cloud storage - I like being able to have access to my music and games in event the server goes down. Pretty much my major issue with OnLive is that it is subscription based (? - not totally sure on this but have read it somewhere) - and if the server went down during my subscription for any length of time there would be the inevitability of having to get my time lost back from the service. Which is always a headache.

With cloud based storage - while I like the principle behind the idea I still don't like the thought of storing my music, entertainment, and even business/work files on a third party server.

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    For sure, if I didn't have an Android device, I would probably jailbreak my iPod as well!

I definitely feel you on the whole cloud handling everything. I was definitely skeptical after hearing about the Sidekick outage. I just don't think i want to spend $500+ every 1-2 years for a new iPod. So, the 16-32GB models plus the cloud is pretty appealing to me. Plus if I decide to go back to console in 2013, I'll definitely ease back on Apple (or mobile in general) consumerism!

OnLive just isn't the hub/service I'm looking for at the end of the day.

5. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    I couldn't imagine upgrading each generation - I definitely don't have the money and feel at the $300-$500 range whatever brand device it is it should last at least 2-2.5 years before it is reaching obsolete (especially with Apple).

I have had my 32gb 3rd gen iPod for almost 2 years now and will probably upgrade next gen (don't know if I'll go to the trouble of jailbreaking my next device if there is no untethered alternative though). I hope the next iPod touch brings the device up to par with the 4s - I think I am going to save up for a larger capacity model this time (...still hoping for a 128gb model).

With my current iPod I have it mostly filled with music (22.5gb) and then the rest is apps/emulators. There is a constant struggle between adding new albums or apps :p

I don't think I would spend money on OnLive - it is just tech I am interested in.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I can't imagine upgrading every year either! The only reason I have an iPod 4G is because I lost my 3GS. I got the 8GB model thinking there'd be an iPod 5G released this year. I think the iPod and iPhone 5Gs will be the same besides the camera and maybe RAM. If they're not, I will be highly upset because the iPhone 5G is supposed to have the A6 and a 4" screen. If they don't make them equal then all us iPod users are left in the dust again! And we'll have to deal with another year of developers not optimizing games for us!

As far as the capacity, I'm thinking 64GB will be the most we get and it already costs $400. iPods pretty much cost the same as consoles and don't have the equal amount of specs.

My iPod has nothing but games on it and a couple of apps. All my music is stored on my phone. I will say 8GB is nothing. They shouldn't even make that size anymore!

Yeah, OnLive seems interesting (which is why I was enticed at first), but not the IT I'm looking for.

7. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    I really hope they don't screw over the iPod users again. I have an iPhone (3gs 16gb) and an iPod 3rd gen. I use my iPod quite a bit more than I have ever used the phone. I prefer the size and I like that it isn't hooked into a data plan or anything.

64gb will be more than enough for my next upgrade - but a greedy part of me wishes there was a 128-256gb model out there :p

8. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I definitely use my iPod a lot more than my phone. I usually only use my phone to make quick (very quick) calls and text messages to say "I'm on my way".

After this past month of having to beat my games extremely quickly of delete a game I haven't finished, I will at least be getting a 32GB model next year.

There's only a few things I want Apple to do (I'm trying to be reasonable): better front facing camera (VGA is outdated), equal amount of RAM, 4" screen. Everything else internally should match the iPhone 5 for the most part.

9. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    I agree - especially considering that the iPod has been passed over for most of the better upgrades in comparison to the iPhone the last 2 generations.

I haven't upgraded to a 4th gen mainly because the ram didn't double - I really wanted to for the camera, and the retina display though. I was really bummed out with this last "generation" of iPods.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, the iPods that came out this year were practically the same as the one I have.

I'm thinking we'll see the same sized screen as the iPhone 5. If we don't that will be a huge smack in the face to iPod users. The RAM thing is meh at the moment. I have no idea what they'll do. As far as the camera, it'll probably still be VGA. I'll look more into it to make sure I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth.

11. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    definitely hoping for a bigger screen, but I think the thing I want the most is a nicer camera.

The ram is still important to me - I still don't understand why they didn't upgrade it to 512mb like the iPhone4. I would love to have a bit of extra memory to see how it would handle up against some of the more intensive stuff you could possibly do with Garageband.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #32 backtothis, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    Just realized how many devs now champion the freemium/consumable iAP model when they used to release only paid games. It all started with Ngmoco back in the fall of 2009. It was pretty much the biggest player on the AppStore at the time after giving us the Rolando series. Then, Eliminate Pro happened.

Not much later, we see big companies like Glu, Gamevil, Com2uS, etc. begin moving towards that same model. Now, we see EA and Gameloft putting out one freemium title every single week, literally. Of course, many smaller companies have also adopted this method: charge a small entry fee/make the game free..and then load the game with consumable iAPs. Recently, Namco also joined in.

We used to think the guys who went on about the "race to bottom" were posting nonsense. Too bad they were right. This phenomenon along with the frugality/entitled-mindedness of the common AppStore customer drove the iOS market here, where freemium is the dominant business model. More than half of the top grossing games are freemium any day of the year. Currently, 3/5 of the top 50 grossing games on the AppStore are currently freemium games.

2012 definitely doesn't bode well for "premium" iOS games. Guess we'll see what happens.

/endwalloftext

Edit: One more thing. Something I never understood was how the common AppStore customer refuses to buy paid games over $0.99, but can spend a shit-ton on consumable iAPs for a free game.

The iOS is generally the most expensive platform. The cheapest iPad is going to cost you $500. Mine cost me $600. I just don't see how you're going to buy such an expensive device and not be able to shell out for games that are 1/250 of the cost. Four new console games equal the freaking price of a new console.

The AppStore is one hell of a market, and a very complex one at that.

13. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    My hope is because the technology is getting better and there are developers that are pushing bigger and more premium experiences, that eventually people get sick and tired of this race to the bottom and move on to only monetarily supporting the premium based games.

iAP is not a bad concept when it is used like DLC and buying actually gets you real content - but I can't except when developers are using it to sell things like health and in-game money. To me it is a ridiculous concept that could prove to backfire huge on early-adopters.

14. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @Duke Floss I'm mostly wanting the RAM to get bumped up and made equal to the iPhone 5. As a beta tester, I saw ipod games not look as nice as the iphone due to less RAM. There were also a ton of glitches/crashes on the iPod due to less Ram as well. I'm also pretty hard set on wanting a bigger screen. It's like, come on Apple time to friggin' upgrade!

As far as the race to the bottom, Gameloft will probably be the winner. But all in all, I somewhat agree with Gabrien. I've definitely seen a push for premium prices from devs, but the freemium system is still a large black cloud that is looming over us. :(