People complaining because games ain't compatable.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Sick of people whining about having an older device.

I know that on some occasions people can't afford a new one due to economic situations but complaining on every game thread that the game is not compatable is just plain annoying. If you are going to complain then get a new device. If you can't afford one go out and work or buy second hand. They ain't that expensive. I can afford an iPad and I had to quit work due to health reasons.

So don't complain! If you haven't updated to a new gen device 3/4 gen then why not. Its been 2 nearly 3 years now. Surely you could have enough money together by then?

So stop, developers shouldn't have to lower the quality of the game to meet the 10% of gamers that are on old devices when they can reach and impress the other 90%

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I agree. After all, it is named iPod and iPhone, not iDedicatedGameConsole

Tbh, I was annoyed at my 3rd gen being so powerful. It seems devs skipped optimising my gen because it was early app store days and not financially viable, and by the time they were confident enough, i4 came out and it all got too complicated for my device!

3. Ace43

Ace43 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I concur XD. While I do feel sorry for those without enough money to buy a new one,there's other ways to get them. Work,save all money you earn,sell stuff. Just don't complain that dev's of games like NOVA and Shadowgun don't use pixelated art just so your dinosaur egg device can play it. It's like they do it on purpose. Don't trounce another dev's skill and talent just cuz your iPod still runs ios 2.3 and half the touchscreen stopped working from all the p0rn you tried to watch,but your Internet was laggy so you threw it across the room,(hence the non working screen). Another words,stop being a whiny b¡+ch cuz you don't read the requirements of the app before you blindly purchase it. ( not sure if u can say p0rn in here,so I put 0 as the o)

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #4 awp69, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    I seriously doubt that outside these forums that the percentage of those with "dinosaur egg devices" is only 10%.

I occassional ASK whether a game is compatible with my 2nd Gen iPod Touch or maybe say I wish it was compatible, but I never complain. I want games to advance just as much as everyone else. Devs should push the limits of iPod gaming.

Usually, I'm only asking because sometimes it isn't clear in the requirements. That's the only issue I have. The vast majority of games where I see that it's clear as day that it's not going to work on my iPod Touch, I don't even bother to post in the thread.

It's also really inconsiderate in this economy to assume that everyone can afford to upgrade. My wife is out of a job. And sure I'd love to upgrade, but absolutely cannot. I live with the fact that I can't play every game that comes out now. I still do spend a $1 or $2 every here and there to get a game I can play. Sure if I saved, maybe I could get a device in another year or two. Mobile gaming moves way quicker than console gaming so everyone's iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4s may be obsolete quickly as well.

Again, I say all the power to devs who want to make games like Infinity Blade that push the platform to its limits. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not out there trashing devs that do so. I DON'T want devs to lower their quality just to support older devices.

Just don't get upset if I or someone else just asks if something is compatible. That's my only pet peeve. Devs not being clear (such as with Crimsonheart) that it won't work on your device. I don't think it's wrong for someone to say "has anyone tried this on a 2G?".

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    i think a lot of times the problem is that the developer isn't clear about their app's limitations. I've seen this happen several times.

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #6 GoofyJmaster., Jan 12, 2012
    I have an updated device, so I'm not complaining. However, I live in Ohio and there are a ton of layoffs and it can be hard to find a good job. I know peeople that graduated college and can't find good jobs due to the economy. Some of the people I do know that don't have "real" jobs and have to use things like Labor Ready have more important things to pay for then a new device every year or so. It doesn't mean that they don't want one or aren't working towards getting one. Even in my own personal life I've seen a jump in prices for groceries and other things, so my family can't buy everything that they want like they used to. What i'm saying is that we are lucky to be where we're at but there's definitely more budgeting than there used to be.

After writing this, I see this as one of the major reasons for freemium games if you can't always afford games. but on the flipside these freemium games are so profitable and people did sign up for a non-dedicated gaming device when they bought an iDevice.

I personally know people in debt because they wanted to have the next best thing.

Here's my thing, games on the AppStore are cheap, so if you were willing to buy an iDevice, you surely can buy a few games that are quite cheap if that's what you're using it for.

There's too many factors: self entitlement, cheapskates, the economy, age, possible OTT pricing by greedy corporations, shady marketing IDK

TBH, it's hard to really justify any side, but people do pick. I guess I picked one too.

Honestly IDK and it grows hard to really care anymore! I might just have to jump on the New England Gamer ship and say, it is what it is. As long as I'm able to I will support devs that make quality games as long as they exist.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Exactly.

8. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I think this is more of what the topic should be instead of people just go out and buy a new device. Plus, this is not a true dedicated platform, as unfortunate as that may seem.

9. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    The problem with dev's clarity often comes out of a fact, that there's actually no list of devices to select when publishing a game on the AppStore. You can require some features available only on certain systems. This, however, is very inprecise. Two different devices having a certain feature available can very much differ in power (CPU, GPU). The most current examples are games for iPad 2, like Machinarium or Espgaluda II HD. You can't make a game only for iPad 2, so the best devs can do in that situation is put a note in the description. And I'm sure most of you have bought at least few games without even thinking about reading the description. I know I have - "OMG LOOK AT THAT LASERZ! I NEED TO HAVE THIS!" Yeah, impulse buy : )

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    All aboard!

@Triggy - I don't think, to be honest, that I see as much "complaining" as I see - is this playable on.... I think that is fair because as others have pointed out, more and more developers don't make it clear what devices the game is compatible on. If it was clear they would not have to ask.

The complaints I have see are justified - a developer didn't specify the device, someone buys it on their computer (where there are no limits to what you can get) and then it is not able to be installed on the device. Perfectly legit.

If you were in that position - constantly spending money on games that are not able to be played on your device - you would be upset too. Technology progresses and no one is saying it should not, but people can't always keep up for whatever reason. Real life, real choices. If a 3g or a 4g was your first device then great, and if you can update every year then good for you or your bank account. Just respect that others can't do that.

Maybe start a petition that forces developers to disclose the devices they tested the game on and what iOS they are compatible with?

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah! I'm pretty much there.

I definitely agree about developers needing to disclose the devices that they tested on. One thing I'd like to throw in is stop being so vague by saying Game Center support. They obviously do this for marketing purposes. TBH, I don;t even think it's that hard to throw in achievements, so you might as well put them in instead of hoping people buy your games because thy see the GC icon.

Oh yeah, devs should ALWAYS mention if their game will have IAP. That was one of the biggest complaints in the Star Marine thread.

Also, thanks for being a bit more concise about the financial stuff! I was a dedicated console gamer and now I'm a dedicated iOS gamer. From a dedicated perspective, iOS gaming is much more expensive especially when you throw in a new device every 1-2 years.

Last thing! I realize why we are at the crossroads. If you're a dedicated (possibly hardcore) gamer, you are mixed in with the big casual crowd. We never had to really deal with this before. People who wanted gaming experiences bought consoles, while other people didn't. It was a place strictly for gamers. The iOS platform is an amazing platform that seems to not really be coming into fruition, at least not in a lot of pure, hardcore gamer's eyes.

It seems as if Android is pushing a bit for more dedicated gaming mobile devices. Microsoft is incorporating Xbox Live heavily into the new devices. However, Apple doesn't really care because they rake in the profits no matter what. The problem has been mentioned already and it is that there is no dedication to people like us.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The iPhone costs $700 unlocked and people are forced into a 2-year contract to get it. No phone is worth that. That creates the complaint. The iPad 2 costs pretty much the same price as an unlocked iPhone 4S, which are the only ways to acquire a device that features the latest specs. Nobody should be expected to have to pay $700 just to play some of these games. I get people's frustrations. While Apple is very innovative, their tech is outrageously overpriced. It always has been.

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Throw in the fact that they're dedicated to no one and you have a winner! /sigh

hell, it's never been a secret that the iPad was made strictly for consuming and nothing else. Why do you need to read books on it? Why play games on a screen that size? Are shooters and such really that much more enjoyable to people. I've played on one and it doesn't make sense in my mind. What we need is a 4.7" screen on a 4.3" body, but Apple will never give it to us. We would've seen another 3.5" screen this year if people hadn't snapped out the reality distortion for a second.

Also, I get that iOS is supposed to be easy and accessible, but geez I feel like it was mostly retarded (no offense to anyone).

It's just like the articles I read on iPad game pricing. why are they more expensive? Pretty much because you shelled out $500+ for a consumerism product that serves no general purpose. It hasn't replaced nada!

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #14 awp69, Jan 12, 2012
    I concur with everything you said. I'm in the same boat as far as being a now "dedicated iOS gamer" and it's more frustrating because I am a fairly hardcore gamer. Back when things were better for me, I actually did get an Xbox 360 AND a PS3. I bought the iPod Touch 2G later (when the 3G was just coming out) at a discount. Little did I know it would take over as my primary gaming device. I can no longer afford $60 games for my 360 and PS3 and they've been relegated to a second class citizen that my younger ones play more (as they grow older and can play some of the games I had). I've only had my 2G for about 2 years. But mobile gaming does move much quicker.

So here I am and I am pickier and pickier even about what iOS games I get. The thing that bothers me is that there is a Requirements section that can be used to list devices that games are compatible. I'm learning -- for reasons I don't understand -- that it's not always easy for the dev to set that (why on Earth does Apple makes their system so difficult is beyond me).

Some devs put it in the description so I've been trying to pay more attention to that. Others don't. Either way they can at least give some warning.

That's why sometimes I just gotta ask. If I can read immediately that it's not, then I move on.

EDIT: Oh, and before anyone says, why don't you sell your 360 and/or PS3 to upgrade your iOS device, my kids would kill me (and they come first). And there still are some older games that I play through again and/or haven't finished.

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I didn't know this particular part. Here's my theory: Apple makes 30% off of everything that enters the AppStore. If the developer lists who can't get a game then Apple can't make money off of a person who who doesn;t have a compatible device.

It's part of the reason why I think their refund section is so hard to find. Heck, I tried to get a refund for a game that used false advertising and the game went free the next day. WTH is that BS?!?

It's one of two people that's being shady when it comes to listing requirements, Apple or the dev.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I've only used the refund thing a handful of times because Apple also is starting to be a pain in the ass about giving refunds....even if the game was falsely advertised (or at least not clear about) as working on older devices and then it doesn't. They almost always reject a first request for a refund and then sometimes do it on a second request. They don't seem to care that it don't work for you and wasn't advertised correctly. It's your problem. So I pick and choose my battles.

Oh well, more and more games aren't compatible (and bigger devs more often than not do make sure it's clear). So I'm living with that as long as I know so ahead of time.

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, it really does suck! There's no type of quality assurance on the AppStore at all. Then a problem arises and Apple does everything in its power not to give you your dollar back. I guess we'll have to live with it if more people don't stand up to it.

At least there are some devs trying to make the effort to make a game backwards compatible or list the requirements. Unfortunately the name of the game is pay a lot to upgrade every couple of years.

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The irony though is pretty hard to miss - a thread complaining about complainers.

19. Dr. Deviation

Dr. Deviation Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    It's not so much that I have an older generation, it's just that I have an old iOS. It's frustrating that though I have the hardware to play advanced games, the software prevents me from doing so :mad:.

Oh and I'm not willing to upgrade my iOS because I have in my possession 122 apps. Syncing that would take, on my giant turd of a computer, at least infinity.

20. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I had 300 apps unsymced. Just plug them your device in and go and watch a movie.