Universal Paint it Back - Picross with a Purpose

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CasualLabs, Oct 16, 2013.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I finished all the levels. This is a really great game and I found it great value, especially when compared with paper puzzle books that I used to buy frequently. This game plays like those puzzles on paper (without holding your hand and warning you when you make a mistake) but with a much better interface (it's fun to hold your finger and fill in a row at once for example). I also like that there are multiple profiles so that every family member can save their own progress. I have since tried other Picross games, but none match this one in both interface, polish and charm.

I now have 3 achievements for the Mystery Masterpieces left that I think I want to complete. CasualLabs, I wonder if you have considered making those goals (finish within a certain time, don't waste paint, don't use (too many) crosses) available to all puzzles after you finished them once (or after finishing the game as a whole)? That would increase replayability by a lot. I would love to play through the game again with a new goal, and earn shiney new medals :) I know the Mystery Masterpiece room also offers that, but I like the level-by-level, room by room approach. I do like that the basic game does not have all those goals immediately available, puzzle games like this should not have timers etc. by default. As an extra goal though, for people who want more, I think it would add a lot.

2. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    Thanks for the response. I did manage to get it to unlock eventually.

Been enjoying the larger puzzles. The one problem I have is that whenever I spot a speck of dust on my screen I automatically wipe it away resulting in mucking my painting up! Tell me it's not just me that does that?!

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Have played. It's very fun. Do you know other game with this kind?

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Here is a thread with recommendations.

5. KuangEleven

KuangEleven Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Cheers for the reply :) I checked and it says V102 b6. I know it's taken both updates so far with no trouble, but the b6 bit?

I grabbed it when it was formally released through the UK store so wouldn't imagine it was a beta.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That is my version too, and I have no problems...

7. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I just wanted to pop in and say this game is fantastic, and the way the F2P model is demonstrated here is something more F2P developers should take note of.

I love Picross, and when I saw glowing recommendations for the game here and on Pocket Tactics, I figured I should give this one a go. With nothing to lose except time, it was an easy choice to download. I quickly got through all of the free levels -- quickly because I'm awesome at Picross, not because they don't give you enough to play -- and stopped playing the game. I know it's just a couple bucks, but I have a tendency to buy iOS games and never play them. A few days later, I was waiting for my wife at the train station, and decided to get a quick game in to pass the time. Buying the extra levels when I remembered where I left off was one of the easiest purchases I've made (in the last, say, two days), and since it's easy to just come back to for a quick play, it's also one of the best.

I'm enjoying how a seemingly nonsensical black & white image turns into a colorful "work of art," and how that also means you often can't just guess where you think a black square will go just by knowing the title.

If I had one complaint, it would be that when I'm trying to fill in a whole line of squares, I often end up taking just as much time correcting things as my thumb inevitably moves just enough to the side/top/bottom to register in the next square over. Most of the time, it's quicker to just zoom in and tap each individual square.

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Paint It Black just uses a variant of the Wolfenstein 3D / Doom shareware model where the developer charges for more content.

This will make the developer profits, but not at the $1 million a day level that freemium games are expected to rake in...

9. CasualLabs

CasualLabs Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Thought about that a bit. There is downside to that, and I'm currently siding with that downside. So as it is now, you can feel like you totally finished the game by earning all of the achievements. It already takes many hours to do that. If you got all of the achievements and then there was still this lingering thing to do where you had to replay all 140 paintings and earn 3 more ribbons for each painting, that would diminish the feeling of accomplishment of getting all of the achievements, I think.

I like that feeling of having completed something. I liked completing 10,000,000 and Portal. I like finishing a book or a movie. Guess I like that in games, too.

10. lstein2000

lstein2000 Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Iʻm close to finishing the game (purposefully going slowly to savor the experience!), and I wanted to second the request for extra goals after the game has been completed. I guess I think of it as like the "New Game+" option in some video games -- youʻve beaten the game (yay!), but if you want to go back through and play again thereʻs more to do.

Also wanted to say that you have my money if you ever want to put out extra content packs, especially (please please please) if theyʻre bigger and/or more challenging. I find picross to be relaxing even with easy puzzles, but I love the trickiness of the bigger (20x20+) ones.

11. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks for responding! I understand where you're coming from, and to an extent I agree (there's one particular super hard game that I was somewhat proud to get very far in - and then the dev released 20 more super hard levels and I just gave up). But I think puzzle games are a bit different than other games. In puzzle games I get that satisfaction from finishing a level, instead of finishing the game as a whole. I guess I grew up with puzzle books, and it was never a goal to finish any particular book, because there would always be new books. So, with this particular kind of game I don't think it would detract from the experience to have optional extra goals after finishing the main goal. Also, I think the kind of people who love the game enough to go the extra mile to get all the achievements, are probably the kind of people who like the extra goals.

Still, I respect whatever you do and I too will buy any new puzzle packs or new games you'll develop.

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Agreed. However...

More Paint it Back levels, medals, goals, whatever = Hella Shiny.

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    How to do this level without guessing?

Attached Files:

14. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Do it on pro. No guessing at all

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I would use do in this order...

1. Finish the top portion that you started.

2. Cross out rest of the column completed by the top section completed by step 1. (The single 2).

3. Work on row with 3/3.

Hope this helps a bit.

16. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've been working on converting Paint it Back from iOS to Mac. I'm pretty close to submitting to the App Store, but first I'd like to see if a few of you would kick the tires and give it a spin.

If you're interested and you've got a Mac running OSX 10.6 or newer, shoot me a private message.

Thanks!

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I had overlooked this game before, because I didn't know it was a puzzle game and didn't think it was something that would interest me. After reading a great post on NeoGAF that alerted me to the fact that this was a logic-based puzzle game, I decided to give the game a try and I was soon hooked. This is a fantastic and challenging game, and a great introduction for someone who has never tried these kinds of puzzles before (like myself). I'm having a lot of fun and the gradual learning curve/difficulty cure is great

The only thing I'd love to see is after completing a puzzle, for the colors to be added to the puzzle you completed rather than the easel to come from the side of the screen. It's a minor thing, but I feel it would be more satisfying to see the puzzle we solved be colored in

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for this post, B. After completing the trial I bought the game. Great logic game...!

19. CasualLabs

Sep 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    St. Louis, Missouri
    The Mac version of Paint it Back is scheduled to release on Jan.23. iCloud works with your game saves between your Mac and your iPhone/iPad. Play with a mouse on a big monitor!

Also - the Android version is in the works. That may be ready in a few weeks, too!

20. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    #200 Avatre, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Hi, I'm loving this game and I don't generally like puzzlers. I'm stuck on a few and was hoping for some help, I hate going past ones I haven't finished! The first one is 'Damsel in Distress', would anyone be willing to give me a starter line of any of the four edges for both parts of the painting pwease? :eek:

Edit: Think I've managed to add the pictures of the one I mean, well, of the first part of the two parts.. If that made sense.

Attached Files: