iPhone Brogue (by Seth Howard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Update 1.0.5 has hit the app store.

This is an exciting release and I believe is the most solid representation of the game on the iPad to date. File management, subtle user interaction changes and a significant performance boost (66% increase in the draw loop on an iPad 3).

* Saved and recorded game management via iTunes. Delete, backup and add saves and recordings via iTunes->Apps->File Sharing.
    * Tapping the screen while watching a recording now pauses the recording.
    * Even more performance improvements!
    * Highlighted path is now removed when pressing Explore or hitting the directional pad.
    * Added a link to the Brogue community boards.

2. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    #102 funambulist, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    Interface options?

@Seth/Sandoze: once again thank you for porting this great game to the iPad!

A couple of questions/comments concerning the interface:

(1) would it be possible to include an option so that a finger press on the D-pad would continuously move our intrepid explorer in the desired direction (similarly to how the keyboard works on the desktop version)?

(2) I'm right handed and tend to use my right hand when using the D-pad (i.e. my hand needs to 'cross over' the screen to reach it). Not sure what the norm is here qua the most fluid control scheme and would love to hear your view on this.

Thanks!

3. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    1) perhaps a long press? Right now I see it as fine tuned movements. My concern is you're tip toeing on level 2x and all of a sudden you take off. :)

2) as a righty I know what you mean about the cross over. It really is where it is because it was the most unobtrusive spot but I'm open to ideas!

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    D-pads tend to be on the left side for righthanders, it's default that way on consoles and handhelds. But yes, having the option to switch sides would be good for all.:)

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think by "ideas" he was actually asking for suggestions on how it would be possible without getting in the way too much :p

Unless you can rearrange the actual game to have the list on the right, I'm not sure how it could be done neatly. I was wondering if a Sword of Fargoal (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=49385) control scheme could work though. Have you had experience with that Sandoze? It'd have to be a switch in the options as it wouldn't work in tandem with the current controls, but it might be quite comfortable.

6. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    A long press to activate 'continuous' movement sounds good. Thanks!

I never realized this. Thanks Ravenblack!

7. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    This game is awesome. But there are still some minor issues for me.

- On an iPad 4, sometimes the menus, inventory etc. become very slow.
    - If I accidently apply the wrong staff, I don't see an ESC button. Ok, maybe I should use that "shake" option. Never tried it yet.
    - Long press auto walk is often interrupted by events like "you see a rat". Is there a way to resume it without having to hover and press the target square again and again?

8. Phortis

Phortis New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Minot, ND
    I'm surprised TA doesn't have an official review of this game.

9. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I've heard this happening on an iPad 4, which is surprising. How far into the game are you? How much of the map is exposed? If you could send along a screen shot and/or save game when this happens that'd be great (use the App Store brogue support link).

Shake Shake Shake

I hope to push another update in the near future and add some player suggestions but am holding off until iOS 7 stabilizes so I can see what sort of performance hit I'm going to be dealing with on 'legacy' devices (iPad 2/3!).

I also take pull request for changes @https://github.com/sethhoward/Brogue-iPad

Thanks for your feedback. :)
    Seth

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Great to see you're not just a "release it and forget about it" kinda guy :)

11. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    It kills me that my $600 iPad is now considered a "legacy" device. Anyway . . . any word on when 1.7.3 is expected to drop?

In unrelated news, after about a thousand games, I finally made it to the top of the leaderboard with a completely unconventional setup inspired by one of the weekly contests.

I stumbled on a seed with an early (lvl 2) +3 regen ring and +2 teleport charm. I decided to go full teleport build and enchanted the teleport charm to +10 (recharge in 1 turn) and the regen ring to +8. I eventually added a +3 stealth ring, +2 plate and a warhammer (the perfect stealth weapon). By the time I got the Amulet, I had excellent consumables (multiple life potions, descent potions, invis potions) and multiple useful staves and wands, so I decided to try for Mastery of the Dungeon.

It was touch and go the whole way down and I only ended up with 8 lumenstones (only grabbing the ones I teleported right next to and always choosing safety over any kind of risk). I bypassed a number of levels completely by jumping into various holes and using descent potions. The primary risk was getting blasted by Dragon or Lich fire before I knew what hit me, but when it happened (and it did) I always managed to teleport out and regenerate. It took me several hours of "very" careful play over two days to get from 26 to 40.

It was certainly an odd way to play, given that my usual play style is to explore every inch of each floor, and it relied a great deal on luck with regard to finding enchant scrolls and strength potions on the way down to 26. It would be very easy to play this same seed and have a completely different result due to the RNG.

My next goal is to actually figure out how to keep a group of allies alive into lumen territory. Discord is a bitch.

12. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Look at this game size, amazing!

13. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Very interesting way to play! I'm probably going to have to give this a shot.

Oh, our poor legacy devices. The good news is speed has been improved in this last update but (and a bit more in the one just submitted) but you'll only notice it running a certain iOS.

It is isn't it! and I just shaved another half a meg in the next update. Honestly the entire size is the pretty much the splash title page. After that it's all procedurally generated.

14. etonblue

Nov 10, 2011
    So Sandoze, 1.7.3 dropped like over 48 hours ago. I can only assume that everything has ported over nicely and we are just waiting for Apple's approval? :p

Just kidding of course, we all appreciate all of the effort you've put into this and will patiently wait until you have time (so, Monday?)

15. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    No joke, I submitted the 1.7.3 update last Sunday! Sadly Apple started taking iOS 7 apps/updates on Tues and I have no doubt I was kicked to the back of the queue as it's been a 3-4 day turn around in the past.

Super bummed it didn't hit for the weekend but hopefully Monday.

Just a heads up. This version also adds 11 insanely difficult achievements!

16. etonblue

Nov 10, 2011
    Update is now available. Liking it so far, although I still haven't figured out how to reliably use wands of empowerment.

17. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Are there any plans to make this universal? I realize it's much better suited to the larger iPad screen but I'd love to be able to play this on my iPhone.

18. Joeschmoe

Joeschmoe Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Player question

I'm a long time Nethack fan, so when I saw this I had to download it. It's really awesome! I can't figure out what part of the player info means, where it says I'm lit or dark. It doesn't seem to be related to light in the cave because I've stepped into dark places where the game says it might be a good place to hide and my info still says I'm lit. to I'm standing in a bright area. And my info says I'm dark. Can anybody explain?

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Amazing port of an amazing game. Thanks!

20. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks to Joeschmoe for bumping this old thread. Love RLs, but suck at them. Won't hold that against you, Sandoze - 5 stars!