Game with a good story and gameplay?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by slighmd, May 17, 2011.

1. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Can you guys recommend me a game with a good story maybe epic and gameplay? Not the Monkey Island or Dragon's Lair type games. I already finished Crimson Gem Saga, Dead Space and Final Fantasy 1,2,3.

2. Alexin

Alexin Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    College Student
    America
    Inotia 3: Children of Carnia

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Nice line-up of games OP.
    But no CHAOS RINGS!?:eek::eek::eek:
    'nuff said.

CHAOS RINGS

How could you POSSIBLY have missed Chaos Rings? It's made by Square Enix (unless you didn't finish FF 1,2,3 on iphone/pad), or you JB'ed (just speculation :D)

4. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Space Miner. Although I've only played the lite version so not sure how far the gameplay extends beyond blowing up mindless drones and asteroids.

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    So why recommend it?

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Chaos Rings (!)
    Space Miner
    Aralon
    Secret Of Mana
    Sword & Sworcery
    Highborn
    Legendary Wars
    Sacred Odyssey: Rise Of Aidan
    Dungeon Hunter II

Just to name a few...

7. agree here..

Space Miner, Aralon, Secret Of Mana are awesome :D

8. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Galaxy on Fire 2 has a good storyline but too short IMO. Space Miner is another good Sci Fi RPG. I assume you lean towards JRPG genre of games. Eternal Legacy by Gameloft is more Related to what you have already finished but most people say story sucks. Zenonia and Inotia are decent RPG's but they appeal more to the hack n slash crowd. Chaos Rings seems okay but still waiting for Final Fantasy tactics from SquareEnix.

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
  10. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
  11. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    You should get all 6 Gamebook Adventures. They have very cool "choose your own adventure" type branching stories, great artwork, music, and an old-school dice-based RPG system. And they are universal apps.

And all 6 games are currently on sale for $2.99 each.

12. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    He wanted a good -- even epic -- story, and Chaos Rings' story is fairly flat and unremarkable. The gameplay is all right and actually pretty good, but not very challenging. Story-wise it isn't impressive, in my opinion.(Sorry if this is not a popular opinion! :))

13. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #14 gwet17, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    nvm.

14. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Oh and btw I made that recommendation based on the OP's line-up of games. FF series indicate that he is at least interested in these type of games, thus CR will be a suitable choice.

15. turner

turner Member

May 18, 2011
    Fremont, USA
    Nice characters and pics, maybe good for my little girl.

16. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Why do you refer to your "little girl" in every single one of your post?

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #18 dumaz1000, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    In the arena of storytelling is where, more times than not, iOS gaming fails. Derivative, flat, uninspired, unremarkable, cliched. That describes the storytelling elements of 99 percent of iDevice games. They do have their strengths. Don't get me wrong. There are areas with in which iOS gaming excels. This, more than any other, is where most fall short.

If you want good story and good gameplay, buy a PSP. The PSP is in a post-prime golden age right now. The vast majority of PSP games sell new for $19.99 or less. Most sell used at gamestop for 17.99. There are a lot of very high quality used PSP games selling for 17.99. And if you don't like them, Gamestop allows you to return any used games within 7 days for a full refund.

As far as iOS goes, you can choose just about any iOS RPG, but even those are often chalked full of lazy cliches.

Space Miner is funny. It features some rather lively/quirky characters and dialogue. The story itself is nothing special. The characters are refreshing though and there is a level of appeal in that.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You are officially the master of providing an opinion nobody asked for. He's looking for an iOS game and you tell him to buy a PSP, geez :rolleyes:

19. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Sounds like something for Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. Super long story, massive amounts of gameplay, all the glory of GTA (besides no Retina Display).