Universal Zaga 33 - by Michael Brough (Sci-Fi Roguelike)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by magihiro, Apr 24, 2012.

1. JGeldhof

JGeldhof Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Comic Artist / Illustrator
    Kent, Ohio
    Saw this on the front page.

Gonna give it a try.

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Zaga 33 has received a fine update that adds a swipe control option, portrait and other orientation options, and some other small tweaks.

I'm finding the controls pretty much spot-on now. Rock on.

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I got completely used to the default controls after playing it long enough. Now the swipe seems weird to me.

4. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I was slowly getting used to them but would still have a miscue now and then. The swipe feels solid to me.

How ashamed should I be that Level 12 is my high so far? This is probably the first pure roguelike I've tried but feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Really glad I didn't get this before the update as I honestly have no idea how the old controls work. >_> The swiping works flawlessly and having played the PC version over the last week, it's awesome having this on my phone. :) Extra points for retina graphics, of course. My only complaint (and man is it minor)... the game's name is Zaga-33, right? It's Zaga 33 on the App Store and zaga33 on our devices. >_________________>

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just wondering if this game saves your current progress for when multitask resume fails? I'd like to play a few floors at a time, and come back to it half a day later or something and continue.

7. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am totally digging the simplicity of this game along with the randomness of the levels and powerups. The controls work great. Game Center support would be nice and perhaps alternative and slicker graphics also, but as is it is fantastic for some quick gameplay.

8. JGeldhof

JGeldhof Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Comic Artist / Illustrator
    Kent, Ohio
    This game is as awesome as it is brutal. Virtually every move means something. Love it.

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    i like swipe movements

this game rocks! ;)

10. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Looks great. Any chance for Icade support?

11. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    yes.

I don't have an iCade to test on, but I'll try to add this in next time I update it.

Thanks everyone!

12. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    bought this last night. pretty fun game, and fixes my need to play Desktop Dungeon when I'm not at home... While it's not anything like Desktop Dungeon, it is a pick up and play for 15 minute game with perma death, so for that, i really liked it.

got to floor 16 on my second try, gonna go play some more now =]

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Cool, that would be great! :)

Buying now (on sale)...

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Actually back to regular price after a crazy reverse sale. He raised both his games' prices for becausewemay.

On another note, I've grown to enjoy this more than I had initially. It's really quite good, just not exactly what I initially expected.

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'd like this way better if I could pass and not move.

16. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    It’s pretty brutal sometimes when your drone could protect you but you can’t hold still to let it fight :) All part of the challenge.

It actually feels like this game keeps getting harder! (Just means I had some early good luck and some recent bad luck.)

The colors and sounds are mesmerizing and I keep going back for more even when I’m on a losing streak.

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's part of the challenge, but I think it makes the game considerably less interesting because you have fewer strategic choices. It's a good effort, but after 5 or 10 minutes I don't see myself playing it any more, as it stands.

18. Michael Brough

May 5, 2012
    With a wait key, there would be more options per turn, but fewer overall choices. Always having the optimal engagement with each enemy is not an interesting decision.
    That's cool if it's not your thing, but I assure there's more than ten minutes worth of depth there, and the absence of a wait key does not obstruct it.

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #39 DaviddesJ, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Fair enough. You have a good point that waiting often isn't a real "choice", either, it would just be automatic. Maybe I just don't feel like there are quite enough choices either way. I didn't mean to imply I had mastered the game and accomplished everything I could hope to accomplish in 10 minutes, just that that's enough to get a pretty good feeling for what I like and don't like about it. I certainly don't regret buying the game, I would like to support the development of more games like this, it just doesn't quite work for me. Maybe I will try it again.

20. Michael Brough

May 5, 2012
    Yeah I do agree it lacks some of the depth you get in more complex roguelikes, but more because there aren't the long-term combinatorial choices about equipment management and character advancement. It's very much on the light end of the RL spectrum.

Thanks!