We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Despite being a huge Final Fantasy fan, even I'm disgusted at this .. and indeed Squeenix in general. This company has gone from one pisstake to another ever since the merger, this is just another slap in the face in a long line of slaps in the face. They have the cheek to try and SELL this game alongside milking you dry with IAP? That's even more horrendous than Theatrhythm -- which at least had the good decency to be released for free before raping your wallet.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Maybe they will drop it to free tonight. 2.99 would be a great price for theatrhythm because its a port of 3ds but this crap should be free

3. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    #2363 Mookmonster, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Man, I really hate to be this guy, because nostalgia is a big thing for me, but I have to agree this game feels a bit pricey.

I remember playing lode runner when it was released by broderbound (sp?) on the ibm/pc clone, and I must have been 4 or 5 years old at the time. I played the living hell out of that game, for a long long time. Only other game I remember playing as much back then is Q-bert, for anyone who really wants to go down nostalgia lane.

But....with the app store as it is today...and games like Heroes and Castles and Momonga Pinball coming out today for 1.99 and .99 respectively, 2.99 for a 30 year old strategy/action hybrid that will likely have dubious controls......call me a little less excited than I would have been at .99 cents.

At .99 cents, I wouldnt give two poops about the controls, and would just buy it for nostalgia alone. At 2.99, I actually care about the controls and want a seamless experience. I know, I feel like a cheap crappy bastard...but I think the developer is gonna lose out on a lot of sales because of their price point.

Edit: Anyone know if this still has the level editor? That element of the game really kept me coming back for a long time!

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well you could also say some of these retro games are priced higher as they know the younger market 'might' not really go for it, so its based at us oldies.

At the end of the day its just $3 to have this old classic always with you on your iphone. Games like this have costs up front as they have to get the official license, you see the amount of clones on the app store, many of which get shut down because of the company which owns the IP etc.

So they had to pay for the official name/brand which i'm sure wasnt cheap.

I'm personally a huge fan of retro releases and i'll be buying it, if we dont buy classics like this the whole app store will be full of runner/temple run clones ! ;)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its a difficult one, in iOS terms its higher pricing than the usual 99c game. BUT i just always think back to when i was on peanuts for pocket money and games in the 80's were $12 or $3 for the 'cheap' ones.

25 years later i'm on more money (than my peanuts pocket money !) and i can pick up a few of these £2 or £3 games every week, still way cheaper than one Wii or Xbox game a month.

So yeah in iOS terms its a higher priced game of $2.99. But if i could have some weird time machine and tel the 14 year old version of myself that 'one day you can pick up these games for a few quid and have them on this small portable device to take wherever you go' i would snap your hand off !

I mean those Infocom text adventures were quite expensive as one big IAP but again to an oldie who remembers some of those classics, to be able to play those legally on my little ipod, just a dream !

I feel the more retro games i buy and support, the more chance of getting some more favourites from yesteryear onto iOS. Dotemu must have decent sales as they keep releasing lots of old favourites which is great.

6. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Why is this 2.99 and not free?

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    This game is 2.99 because they aren't charging enough for iap, so they need to offset costs. Now if iap totaled to over 100 then the game would be free....is what I think

8. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    The game looks like its stretched and I think if there's Ron of iap like most squeenix games then it should be a freemeium like it is trying to be

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2369 Vovin, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Hello? Could a mod please come an put all this "why isn't it free?" jabbering into the garbage thread?

Thank you!

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Dang it. I would've downloaded this if it was free. It should be free, especially if it is loaded with IAP. Shoot. I'd rather play Voice Fantasy than spend money on this.

That said, if it eventually goes free, I might try it out. If not, I'll stick to FF 1-4 and FFT. Still playing through them all.

As for an endless runner... I TOTALLY agree. I WOULD pay $3 for a runner where I got to be cloud running through different settings like fields, castles, cities, etc. In fact, they already tried a mobile FF Cloud snowboarding game, so it shouldn't be hard to reskin Temple Run and throw a few of these IAP in it.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Snowboarding

As long as the main game had enough content, they could totally get away with charging for a sweet endless runner. I'd love to play as Zidane running through a few of the cities and rooftops of Final Fantasy IX.

Back to this game, though: Crap.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    People never learn. We want no effin price discussion in the game's thread.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    My fault sorry.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    May another mod please move all the price discussion comments (this included) to the price dump?

I'm not gonna say "developers can't win". We iOS gamers can't win. That's the truth. If a game is free, everyone complains about the fact that it's filled to the brim with IAPs, while a classic like this is "too expensive" at $2.99. I don't get it...would you have liked Lode Runner to end up like how Pitfall turned out? You're paying $2.99 for a classic game with no IAPs. Sheesh.

I'll probably end up moving these posts myself. *moves posts*

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Where should I go to discuss the price, then? It sure seems like a lot of people do want to discuss it in this forum. Plus, we don't have the actual game to play yet, so I sure as well can't comment on what it's like to play it...

15. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Somewhere else. Not touch arcade. I raised this point in the lounge. You can read the thoughts of the janitor there. Which is a shame really.

16. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    The reason I'm complaining about the price is squeenix is making people think they are purchasing a premeium game but its riddled with iap. I pay for my games and I get them for free so I have a right to say this as do others who by premeium games its not like I'm saying ill wait for this to go free because I'm not.

Just letting people see this and letting them know its premefreemium.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I didn't know $3 qualified as "premium"

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Well well most games paid 1.99 and up usually don't riddle the game with iap galore

19. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You live in the past, my friend.

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Guess so...lol