iPhone Get your game on! Hoops Madness VS coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mobileben, May 5, 2010.

1. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    #1 mobileben, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
    It's NBA Playoff time! While your fave team is battling for the Championship get your game on with Hoops Madness VS!

We're in final test right now!

I've updated this to contain newer details to reflect things. The official name of the product now is Hoops Madness VS! VS for Versus. This is an iPad only version of the game, and features a kick-A 2 player versus mode!

And of course, there is still a single player mode as well!

Aside from the enhanced graphics for the iPad, the game will also have

-Arcade (tap to shoot) and Flick modes
    -Timed and Endurance modes for both shooting modes
    -Themes! Your choice between the Hoops Madness theme and Lumpy Hoops theme. And we'll be adding more later!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for everyone that has given their feedback. Icon-wise, we ended up with this:

[​IMG]

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I like D on the top and then A.

By XL are you converting the Hoops Madness that is already out to be a universal build? Or are you saying you are making a universal build that will be a different purchase from the existing game?

I think this game would be great for the ipad.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What he said (icon voting wise) but then again when it comes to choosing the big icon, for me at least, it was a no brainer since the clipping of the man in B-E just looks extremely off. Maybe it's just me but I say have the guy entirely in shot or not at all. So if you completely axed the silhouette, I'd choose D for the big icon as it then really matches the style of the little icon down to top/bottom coloration and the whited out basketball.

4. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Thanks for your comments.

Just curious on the text logo, you like blue on top for HOOPS or red on top for HOOPS? That is one of the big controversies here.

The original thought, not knowing any better, was making this a different purchase. Thanks for bringing this up, since maybe we need to rethink this strategy. The thought was this. This app will be at a higher price point and is a much larger package.

We were thinking that since the regular version is really more catered towards iPhone/iPod (which is a much larger market base) and can be more easily downloaded OTA, so it makes sense to keep it. The regular version also has less features. For example, Flick is an in app purchase.

What I worry about is by coming out with a pure Universal version as an update, we hurt potential iPhone/iPod users that will scrutinize the product even more based on the price.

Not such a good strategy?

Sorry about that ... that was my fault. The guy isn't really cut off, I cropped the logo so I could show more of them on screen. Here is an example of what the full screen looks like

[​IMG]

so based on this now ... your thoughts?

5. BazookaTime

Sorry I was not clear. I like D for the icon and A for the logo.

I really think you should consider a universal build and if not I would try to price the ipad version at a low price. I remember there being a lot of people that were unhappy that you came out with a flick version right after the original (which was right after Lumpy Hoops). Some felt that it should have been an update to the original. I own all three version and realize that they play different but it still comes off as a little odd.

Keep in mind a lot of people buying an ipad already have an iphone or a touch. Most iphone games look really good on the ipad. So, unless you are adding a lot of new gameplay elements, people are going to just play their iphone version of your game on the ipad. Just a thought.

6. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    We're definitely learning from our mistakes. So your comments are very helpful :D! We have consolidated our lineup to be Hoops Madness only where newer features will either be provided thru updates or in app purchases.

The newer version does have a newer feature that we think is pretty cool. Just cleaning it up before we talk about it more!

7. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I just bought an iPad. Oh hey look, a 2nproductions iPad app. I think I'll be buying this.

Icon - D
    Logo - D

So, double D's and MADNESS should be red

Now I hope you guys don't plan on leaving Lumpy behind without an upgraded iPad experience. That would be a mistake.

8. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Cool, thanks for your feedback!

We are sampling right now with getting Lumpy artwork. Not sure if we'll actually move QuitIt! straight onto it, but maybe a version of it. We were thinking maybe of something like "Lumpy's Playhouse" or "Lumpy's Playland"?

9. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    D and E. :p

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    i liked C on both

11. YOMANx

YOMANx Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Game Developer
  12. paulm12

paulm12 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    school
    ummm Cali
    D on top and C on bottom

13. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Cool thanks for your feedback! We've been making some adjustments and hopefully we'll get some more stuff posted soon! Just trying to refine some newer features :D!

14. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    D on top
    A on the bottom

15. PerodicGames

PerodicGames Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Ben!
    I Like D&E

16. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Hopefully on Monday we'll post up with the results!

17. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Alright, we're in final test right now. I updated the info at the top of the thread to include new screenshots as well as the look of the icon/logo we are using.

The product has been changed from Hoops Madness XL to Hoops Madness VS. This is an iPad only product, and features a 2 player VS mode :D!

18. BazookaTime

Damn this looks fantastic. The two player vs mode is going to be great.

19. mobileben

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Thanks!

We submitted to Apple on Monday! So now we wait and see. It is our first iPad only submission, so hopefully we did it right.

Here are some more images. They are slightly lower res ... just click on them for the full image views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. BazookaTime

Looks fantastic, the vs mode is going to own.

What is the price going to be?