Rhythm Game SOON "secret name"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by drunknbass, Aug 23, 2009.

1. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Im finishing up a rhythm game which i plan to submit in a week.
    FYI i was the developer who made tapstar and i am now doing my own games.
    This game is a clone of djhero that is coming out by activision.

It has Cross fader and 3 buttons and has a similar gameplay to the dj hreo trailers.

you have regular notes, hold notes, scratch notes(tap proper button and slide finger up and down to rotate the turntable on left) and also the cross fader kicks you into different channels on the outer note rails.

Also the best part is this app uses ipod library to play music, and supports a community base to share and browse for the step charts that fuel the levels.

It basically looks at your playlist in ipod and tells you matches for current levels online that "should" work with your mp3, which you can dl and play. The stepcharts are suuuuuper small files typically 50kb so you can dl many. Also i am including a level creator where you can make your own levels and share them nline to my server, or you can host them on any other server.

Over time the user community will upload levels of all difficulties and music genres, but im currently doing some myself so there will be some at launch..
    I will probably open this up to beta testers who would be willing to help create levels so there is a wide range ready for launch time.

Here is a teaser, i will post a proper video later this week after i sort out a few details.

Please let me know what you think, this is going to be priced at .99 forever and be everything i feel is lacking in rhythm games currently.

[​IMG]

2. roostersully

roostersully Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    This looks pretty cool.

3. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    and it looks exactly like tap tap. Not saying its going to be bad. it actually looks cool. im assuming the buttons on the sides are the buttons to press?

4. drunknbass

Nov 8, 2008
  5. whatefortouchko

whatefortouchko Active Member

Jun 9, 2009
  6. PpGrillo

PpGrillo Member

Jan 27, 2009
    DJ Hero? maybe..¿? nnoooo!!!

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kinda wish I knew more about the controls, but as of now, looking pretty sweet.

8. drunknbass

Nov 8, 2008
    heh yea, i guess its hard to make sense of it by pics.. i should have video soon.

the buttons on the turntable platter will probably change a little so it doesnt kill the look of the turntable like it does now.

If you watch the djhero trailer just imagine the same gameplay except instead of a controller with 3 buttons on a turntable, you use primarily your left (or right, via settings) thumb and tap the proper button(s) or hold it and scratch the turntable back and forth for the duration of a scratch note.

9. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    #9 Chronical, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    it looks like DJ Hero :D I'd sure be a beta tester, because I'm a rhythm game FREAK xD But I never was a beta tester, could you explain me how to be one? ^^
    Woah you can play your tracks? Instant BUY!
    I so want to play my songs :D MSTRKRFT, Daft Punk, Justice, etc.
    *wants*
    so here is edit 3:
    If I'd be you, I'd reskin the background, the notes, the buttons on the left and the bottom part from there where the notes come down.
    so it's going to be called scratchpro? ^^
    edit 4 :
    Ok, I looked at the whole thing (DJ HERO) and yours, and I think that you should make the background from there where the notes come down like in DJ hero.. it would so boost your Skin :p
    It's just my opinion.. ;D

10. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    This looks like it could be really fun, and $0.99 is definitely a good price to attract customers.

I have a question though. Will the music cut out if you miss a note, like in Guitar/DJ Hero? Cuz that could be a deal-breaker for a lot of people, myself included.

I know Gameloft is a big dev, and they have a huge budget when it comes to their games, but if you could make the music stop, or at least have the game make an unpleasant sound when you miss a note like they did with Guitar Rock Tour, that would make it a lot more playable IMO.

Because as fun as rhythm games like Tapstar and TTR are, they can get a little stale pretty quickly because there's no real "penalty" for missing notes, other than your score going down.

Please let me know, as i'm sure i'm not the only one that would like this feature.

11. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    This game looks really good, but I think the controls are to difficult (looking at the DJ Hero trailer). In that trailer you need to tap 3 note's at the same time, but you can't do that in your game. Or do I understand the controls wrong?

12. Chronical

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Sure you can. You know DJ MAX or Beatmania? These games also look impossible, but if you got the hang of it they're pretty easy.

13. drunknbass

Nov 8, 2008
    There will be sounds that are made on misses and it will be a setting you can turn off. Also the middle track will play sounds over top of the track like the djhero game, and there will be a large selection of them bundled within the game and whoever creates the levels can select which sounds to be triggered by each of those notes.
    Also when you kick the fader over to one side the music volume can cut out to 0 so you can do interesting combos to sound like you are really mixing the music yourself.

The difference with gamelofts games and real guitarhero or rockbsnd is the mp3 they play have multiple channels, so when you miss a note the vocals cut out or guitar channel cuts out but the backing track continues. That'd is impossible to do with using your iPod library and would require bundling songs with app, licensing music, and charging a lot.

I think playing your own iPod library is what will make this game take off and do well.
    Think tunewiki / djhero. Where the community can make any level for any song.
    There are also a few secret things which I'll describe after I post a video.

14. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    So the game's "beatmaps" are going to be user generated? That might be a problem, since I listen to a lot of weird artists, and making my own levels will be no fun.

15. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    This looks interesting. I'm a huge Bemani fan (DDR, Beatmania <3) and other Bemani-styled game (Pump It Up, In the Groove, DJ Max, etc). I guess in general I could say I love rhythm based games. Can't wait to see a gameplay video.

16. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Btw I just realized I posted on a negative note. This game looks polished, and I'm going to get it! (and now that I think about it user generated content would be nice) It would kind of be like Osu! for PC.

Gameplay video please!

17. drunknbass

Nov 8, 2008
    Well hopefully people like you can make a few and contribute to the community. That's why the price will always be .99, so the userbase grows and we get a diverse set of charts. That with upcoming multiplayer would allow you to find users with the same tracks and challenge them to play your chart etc.

18. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Okay, but in DJ Max or Beatmania (I don't know them but I've watched video's) you use multiple fingers, in this game that isn't possible because the note's are on the side.

19. Chronical

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    I think it's possible o_O..
    you got two hands, right? with the left one you press the buttons, with the right one you drag that dj thing to the left and right side ^^

20. drunknbass

Nov 8, 2008
    exactly. id say 2 of the turn table button(on the left) are possible by using thumb and index finger, eventho it could take a little getting used to.
    and then you have the right side to use the cross fader to use.