Approximate sales figures...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by konop, Feb 1, 2011.

1. konop

konop Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Anyone have any approximate sales figures for how many sales you need to get into the top charts? For example, anyone know about how many sales you need to be top of board games? How about number 50 in board games? Are any categories more competitive than others?

2. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009

The popular categories like action, adventure, puzzle etc will be much higher than less popular ones. Usually you don't need too many to get into Top 100 category. I don't think that board games is that popular, so between 75-100 can get you into the top 25 pretty easily. I've heard other developers say that they got into the top 25 with about 60, but that was a while ago, so it's probably higher since then. It's really not that hard to get into these top categories, unless you go for action/adventure etc.

3. konop

konop Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Also this may be a dumb question but if I give out all my promo codes does that count to the chart?

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    yes, because they are downloads but you just wont get paid.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    No it will have no effect by now

6. konop

konop Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Mr. Ugly, I know that previous downloads do not count... as I understand it, the sales chart is based on the previous week's sales? So If I get everyone I know to download it the first day that would help, no?

7. Mr. Ugly is right. Downloads from promo codes no longer count towards chart ranking (they used to, but Apple fixed that).

Getting a lot of real downloads in a short time does increase your ranking, even on an hour-by-hour basis. On a day-by-day basis you are, of course, going to be much higher ranked if you get 100 downloads in a day rather than 100 downloads in 3 days.

For Paid Board Games category in the US charts, about 15-18 copies a day puts you around 150-200. About 30 copies will break into the top 100.

8. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Weekday, US charts only.

Rank ~200

Action: 100/day
    RPG: 5/day

Arcade is slightly easier to get into than Action, but just barely.

Top 200 paid games overall takes about 400-500 units/day.

Top 200 paid games is approximately top 400 overall paid.

Rankings and numbers change quickly. Info may already be out of date.

9. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    In the US, 35-40 downloads/day put me in the top 150 paid strategy and 200 action. This was 4-5 months ago though, I'm sure it changed a lot.

10. konop

konop Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    And can I assume it is X 10 for free versions?

11. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I can't directly compare, but 200-300/day corresponded to top 15-25 free strategy games in the US - for iPad only.

12. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    From what I can tell, the Top 25/50/100 charts are continuously updated live with the current amount of downloads.

If it was based on the previous week (or day, or any combination) games wouldn't move during the day. When I had apps in the Top 25/50 they would change in the rankings (up and down) every hour or so.

The higher the rank the more downloads I had that day for that app.

This is especially noticeable in foreign countries where every download counts.