The Drowning - The end of the world is a beautiful thing [FPS]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by defred34, Dec 6, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #1 defred34, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    Completely redefining the first-person shooter for touch devices. Download free for iPhone and iPad in early 2013.

Game info:

- The Drowning was created by incredible developers who worked on the best-selling shooter games, Halo, Battlefield & Far Cry.
    - No more virtual sticks! Simply tap where you want to shoot, tap where you want to walk, swipe to look and pinch to zoom.
    - Scavenge the world for parts & craft them into powerful weapons. Upgrade them as you play to create your own unique gun collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YouTube: video

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Aaaaaaa can't bealive!!!:eek:

Amazing...are you sure this is iOS game?Not PC?:confused:

I never see HD graphic like this:eek:

What devices will this support?

3. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#3 killercow, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Finally revealed. The GM of Ngmoco sweden was the Former Battlefield executive producer so it could be really interesting. He's also a firm believer that IOS will be the death of consoles.
    At least he put his money where his mouth is here, those screenshots are absolutely gorgeous. Though it should use an "intuitive control scheme" which is worrying since they hate Virtual Joysticks and lets be honest, this is the scheme that has worked better with FPS. Oh and freemium : (

Edit: Yeah the control scheme sounds atrocious on the ipad. Tap to shoot? When an ennemy is right in the middle of the screen this is gonna be funny...

4. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Wow, I was blown to bits when I saw this. The trailer is amazing. Graphics are top notch. Totally came out from no where.

But I indeed am suspect with the control and IAP scheme that may derail the game.

5. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Hmm, "intuitive" controls never really worked too well for FPS, but I'll reserve judgement until I try them.

6. killercow

#6 killercow, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    "Cousins: No. We support the [ipad] 2, 3, 4, and Mini. On the small devices we support the new iPod Touch, the fifth-generation one, the iPhone 4S, and the iPhone 5. We’re using the Unity engine, by the way"

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/06/ben-cousins-wants-to-prove-mobile-first-person-shooters-arent-a-pipe-dream-interview/#4dztIrOefLmUXVth.99

The Unity engine is really powerful, i knew madfinger could make some magic with it but this... :)

"Yes, you can shoot and move, but for design reasons, in this game we stop your movement at the point you shoot."
    But this, this is (for me) really stupid. The best fps i've played were a mix of dodging and firing at the same time. If fear that with this system it'll be more of an on rail shooter than a "real" fps. Although the comparison with Resident evil 4 is interesting.

"All of the gameplay takes place in these arenas, which are about the size of a deathmatch map. The way the game works is, you move into one of these arenas. You play a two-minute round. You try to do as much violence to the enemies in those two minutes. That equates to a score, and your score at the end of that round controls how many drops you get from the game."

"Yeah, it’s a single-player-focused game. There is a multiplayer element that we’re not revealing in detail today. It’s a single-player game with a story, with characters, where you gradually move through the game world and find out more about what’s happened in the backstory."

"No, the download size is about 700M"

7. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    is iphone4 too bad to run this game?:confused:

8. killercow

Apparently. And it was said that the ipad 4 is running at full retina res with 30fps. The game can also be played on the TV with Airplay.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Looks awesome. Crazy good trailer. But I was turned off when I read this:

No virtual controls in an iOS FPS is a no-go for me. Shame. Looks great, too.

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks man. I thought that this was going to be a great game with such screenshots, but it seems that it won't be that great. Seriously, we can't move while shooting and every level is a two-minute round score-based game on a limited map? Sigh...

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #11 defred34, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    I have a feeling that this may turn out disappoint like dead trigger. I get scared when he says arena based with time limits. Sounds exactly the same as dead trigger in that it is severely limited and it is not true story based fps.

12. cho777

cho777 Active Member

Oct 15, 2012
    This is one of the best graphics I have seen on ios and its free?! Thank you so much for this. Ill be waiting anxiously until this game is released

13. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Yeah that's a no go for me as well. If they want to introduce the iOS world to their "amazingly intuitive controls" they can, as long as the standard controls are an option as well.

14. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Very nice environment ;)

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    +1
    Gotta agree with that.

16. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    This one seems interesting:

GamesBeat: How long of an experience is it intended to be?

Cousins: It depends on how much you want to get out of the game. To unlock all of the weapons, probably 30 or 40 hours. To unlock and level up all the weapons, to get everything in the game, it could be hundreds of hours. By the time people get to that point, we’ll have already dropped in more content.

I have a really strong feeling this will turn out to be played like Dead Trigger - short repetitive missions and emphasis on IAPs. Only difference I can see is that this will have a decent story.

The link provided by one fellow member is useful and you should read it because the guy in charge of this game blasts pretty much every other FPS/TPS shooter on iOS!

Link: http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/06/ben-cousins-wants-to-prove-mobile-first-person-shooters-arent-a-pipe-dream-interview/

17. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    Shame it'll be freemium full of IAPs, and it's a round based shooter. Otherwise I would've been interested. Graphically it looks amazing though.

18. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Has potential. I just hope it's not ruined by a new, "innovative" and terrible control scheme.

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #19 bigrand1, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    And I prefer blood and guts to be red, too. Not black.

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    The trailer is astounding but they way the controls and gameplay are describe really makes me skeptical. Hoping they can still make it enjoyable somehow.