Strike Wing - Space Combat Sim [Universal] (by Dream Builder Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vaipa, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    #1 Vaipa, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hi guys,
    After quite a lot of time in development we're proud to present to you Strike Wing, an upcoming iOS combat space simulator. I'm the game designer behind the project, so if you have any questions ,don't hesitate to ask them.

Strike Wing is a game focused on fun and fast action, with precise controls, varied ships, and challenging gameplay. We've tried to focus a lot on ease of use and controls, which (hopefully) you guys will enjoy :).

The game is days away from the final submission to Apple, so it's safe to say we're on the final stretch to release.

Here are a few key points of what Strike Wing is:
    • An universal app with iCloud support - you can sync your profile between devices, regardless of how many you own.
    • Focused on fast, fun action
    • Challenging - the game pushes the player by using missions that adjust according to the player's actions and with its adaptable AI. Also, for hardcore simmers, there's an option to make things even harder and reap better rewards.
    • Replayable - You can play and replay any mission in any order however many times you wish. Missions will also adapt to your choices and have varying start conditions.
    • Extensible - Players will be able to download free content expansion packs. This allows us to pump content to players or balance the game on the fly without waiting weeks for a game update. Expansions can contain anything from missions, ships, weapons and even entire new features.

Also, in the spirit of clearing up any possible confusion, the game is not:
    • focused on story
    • a game with a linear campaign
    • an open world trading simulator

We've released two trailers in the past few months. A teaser gameplay trailer

and a faction trailer.

some screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and some renders of our ships. These are actual in-game models with beefed-up materials.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Features:
    • Wide array of playable ships
    • Adaptable AI
    • Self-adjusting missions
    • Free expansions
    • iCloud and GameCenter (leaderbards/achievements) support
    • Available for both iPads and iPhone. Final list of devices coming soon
    • Progression system

If you have any questions about the game, don't hesitate to ask.

2. sbxsat

sbxsat Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Is this like Privateer for iOS? *faint*

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    It looks amazing. The graphics are alive. Will the game have multiplayer mode?

4. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    This game is simply awesome!!! I can' t wait to try it.
    I have a request for the devs: please add a first person view, even if you don' t add cockpit dashboard, just leave the player the choice of see the action from behind the ship or from the front of it. It will increase the immersive sensation. This is a point where other space games failed, I think about Galaxy On Fire 1 or 2 and others... A first person camera doesn't need a long programming work and add an option very loved by a large group of gamers.
    One other thing: the ship design is the best I have ever seen in any space game untill now, and I follow videogames history from the far 1986...
    Very good job, guys!!!

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Looking good, so this will be more of a space combat sim (fighter based)?

6. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    @sbsxat: No, it's combat focused. As we've written in the original post, this is NOT a open world trading sim

@september Yes, the game is very tightly focused on combat. It has small set-piece missions with clear objective and (sometimes) time limits. It rewards the skilled player more than the non-skilled one, however the missions can be finished by less skilled players as well.

@Andre Thank you for your kind words. At launch the game will not have multiplayer, however everything will go as planned post-launch it's right there on the to-do list. We're a new studio and we can't afford to release something that doesn't work as expected.

@Truncana Thank you for your suggestion.:) We'll look over all implications and we'll get back to you on that. We have a cockpit mode planned as well, but because we run a skeleton crew and some features are more important than others we have to postpone it a bit and add it later in an expansion pack.

[​IMG]

@edensgy8 There is no console version. The game is iOS only (so far) :p

7. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you for your kind answer. Please, reconsider to add at least a first person view whitout any cockpit or rims like that fantastic picture you added. Isn' t this easier? I, personally, will not buy it if there will not be at least a first person view and like me many other people. Please reconsider this for the first relase of the game. Please!!!

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Subscribing to this tasty morsal. Looking great devs!

9. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    It is easy to add, indeed. We just have to make sure that no stability problems appear or any other wierd (and unforseen) things pop up :)

10. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Please! Make this little effort before release!!! Please!!!

11. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    As a quick update, we're wrapping up the game soon enough. There has been a lot of polishing work done on the game in the past few days, so here are some new screenshots including one from the menus.

All screenshots were taken from a debug build on an iPad mini. The game stays over 90% of the time at over 60 FPS, we'll see if we can make it 100%, but it's pretty hard :p

So here's the menu shot from the ship selection screen. The thing on the right is a quick select widget that we've made specially for scrolling through a large list of ships.
    [​IMG]

One of the heavier fighters dogfighting. You can see from the star moving patterns that ships have inertia. :)
    [​IMG]

Chasing a target while taking shield damage. We've improved shield damage and feedback since the previous post.
    [​IMG]

Getting close to a Core Eagle while being chased by his friends.
    [​IMG]

A bombing run on an enemy corvette.
    [​IMG]

I'll come back soon with an update on the first person mode and other things :)

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Looks impressive.

13. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    You are my hero!!!
    :):):):):)

14. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Installed app size and expected price, please?

15. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    App size is under 50mb (downloadable via 3G/WiFi), with expansion packs that may vary in size. However you can choose what to download.
    The first expansion at launch weighs at around 8mb.

Expected price ... we're gravitating around 0.99$.

16. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Definite purchase right there.

17. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wow, sounds like a no brainer here :eek:

18. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Count me in as a day one purchaser, looks frikken awesome.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Looks fantastic, added to watchlist.

Question for the dev:
    Why the low price? The graphics scream "big budget" (even if not made with one, they sure look like it), so why settle for a "casual angry kittens TD clone 214" price instead of something reasonable, say 10€ ? Especially when you plan to add more content for free later.

20. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    The game now has a working First Person Mode. It sacrifices the situational awareness that you get from playing in 3rd, but it's much more immersive, and allows you to see the ships from up close.

@Truncana - Done :)

@Nullzone - Strike Wing is a new IP, we are a very small team, and we had to pick our battles properly. We have many things that are new to iOS or at least very strangely percieved. For example, everyone thinks it's Galaxy on Fire, which it's not. It's focused on combat, and all the content is geared this way.
    Also, because we're just 2 people working constantly on the project (with others chipping in from time to time), we cannot deliver the content that GoF or other games deliver. So if we were to price it at 10$, people would look and say "but I'm not getting my 10$ worth" especially comparing it to GoF. They will, but not at the beginning.
    In the end, Strike Wing is a framework. It has plenty of content for the money (actually much more) and it will deliver more in time, as the team manages to create it. If you want to support the developers there will be plenty of opportunities to do so in game, but we won't force anyone to do it. It's just that we can't fight the juggernauts of the mobile space on the same price range YET.

Closing in, here are some screenshots from the newly added 1st person mode. When we'll start releasing cockpits they will appear automatically in here. Enjoy :)

All screenshots are taken from a debug build on an iPad Mini.

Chasing a Sparrow with lit burners.
    [​IMG]

Sliding past a Wolf.
    [​IMG]

Close encounter
    [​IMG]