OS 3.0: Stop Complaining, Keep Up

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zandog, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    #1 Zandog, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    I've been hearing quite a few people complaining about games going 3.0 compatible only and I don't understand the issue. I know you've got your device right where you want it or you've jailbroken and your apps, stolen or not, would not function properly on 3.0. the fact remains, like any computer with an OS (Windows, Leopard, Linux, etc.) developers have to move, and yes, update their titles, and the users have to follow. As being a developer, I understand having to upgrade can be a pain with the changing time. Heck, eventually, Apple will no longer support your 1 & 2G devices. You'll have to get the newer, faster hardware to play the new titles and developers are pulling their old stuff to follow that trend.

I think it's time you understand that this isn't an upgradable hardware platform like a desktop computer, but considering what you get out of it, your not spending a whole lot of money to keep up. Apple is dropping prices on it's devices and developers are dropping their prices on software to keep up and compete.

Please, no more complaints. Discuss if you differ.

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    That's not exactly the problem. 3.0 is already jailbroken and I'm pretty sure you can once again use cracked apps. The only problem is that 3.0 is sorta buggy, a lot of people are waiting for 3.0.1. But I agree, I wish people would not complain so much.

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    The problem is now there are more apps that do not work under 3.0 than there are apps that require 3.0. That will change as Apple approves the update fixes. Til then it is a bit of a hassle.

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Buying a new ipod touch/ iphone on each version is an expensive business.

As for OS3 - my wifi and internet are ****ed by it. Never been jailbroken, been treated with care. Paid-for Apple code came into an Apple computer, went along an Apple cable to an Apple ipod touch and it ***ed it. I'll bitch all I want about OS3

:)

5. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    The iPod Touch upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3.0 is like the upgrade from Windows XP to Vista.

Just because it's newer doesn't mean I need it. With the new OS release, some stuff that worked under the old OS no longer works (properly).

If I was buying a new iPod Touch, I'd expect it to be on there, but otherwise, I wouldn't pay for the upgrade and I expect that all of my software that worked on my iPod last week/month/year should still continue to work. Apps are not sold on a subscription model, so I shouldn't need to pay anything to keep them working.

6. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Your right, it should be the developers obligation to keep their apps compatible and Apple enforces that by pulling the app if it does not meet the working guidelines of 3.0

7. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    But doesn't this screw the consumer?? Shouldn't apple, seeing as they make around 30% of each sale, be somewhat responsible for making sure my product purchased through they're store works properly? Pulling the app doesn't get the app working again. Not being a dick, I'm sincerely looking to you for insight.

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Apple screws us but they been doing that for years. Apple shouldn't make it compatible for everyone because it's the dev who has too and this is because with 3.0 dev have more flexibility and they will use it and the older version can't without the upgrade so it's your choice not us.

9. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    But what if the developer is no longer around? Then I get the shaft?? I mean apple still has GI joyride on the app store, and that's been abandoned.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

GI Joyride works great on both 3.0 and the 3GS.

11. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah I did hear that, I guess I'm just worried that some games will not work. If that's not the case and everything will work fine, then I have no further complaints. Thanks Hodapp:)

12. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Firmware updates should not break compatibility with older applications. It's the platform holder's responsibility to make sure of that, and Apple isn't doing so. Just as a comparison, have any of you had your games malfunction after a PS3 or Wii firmware update or a Windows service pack? (I'm sure some have, but in principle ;) )

Rolling the burden of constantly testing and updating old apps on to the developers to match changes in the underlying audio, graphics etc. frameworks is extremely inconvenient in the long run. It's potentially weeks spent on troubleshooting legacy apps, time that would have been much better spent on developing new games.

13. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I think the only reason people wouldn't upgrade now is missing out on the jailbreak apps and it is in fact still rather unstable. Personally, I couldn't live without Winterboard having a plain and boring background over my springboard nor without BossPrefs to stop my carrier from robbing me without disabling my EDGE.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You guys keep saying so many apps are broken in 3.0, and I must say in my testing that with rare exception, everything has been working fine. There have been a few bumps, but all glaring problems either already have been fixed through updates or updates are in the pipes to fix those problems.

15. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    But what happens if an app has problems and there's no developer left to fix it???

16. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    There are not so many apps broken in 3.0. A lot just have audio or some other small thing messed up. But still.

17. iTodd

iTodd Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I also think people should stop complaining. For the very few people where 3.0 messes up the normal functions of your device, that sucks and you have every right to be upset. But for the majority, complaining about 3.0 because some of your old apps no longer work, you have a simple decision to make. Either upgrade to 3.0 or don't. But if you choose not to, keep it to yourself. Anyone with a $200+ device who is buying a bunch of apps in the first place can afford the 3.0 upgrade price.

Without 3.0, we wouldn't get a lot of new features that help Apple stay with (and ahead of) the competition. It is entirely on the developer to update their apps. You paid most of your money to them when you bought the app in the first place. Complain to the developers, not Apple. And if you're favorite app is no longer compatible or has been removed from the store, move on. If it was that great to begin with, there will be someone out there trying to make money off of it.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You seek professional grief counseling.

19. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    #19 le'deuche123, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    @iTod-Oh, cool so now based on your assertion, my apps now have a shelf life...sweet I get to play them for a few months and then...poof..gone...move on. So this is the rental app store??

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Well duh I'm not saying I'm gonna cry myself to sleep. I just don't like being ****ed by anyone other than mrs.douche.