Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 05-16-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Beats headphones.....

OK, so personally, I hate them. Not so much because I don't like the sound - which I find middle of the road - but because the folks who buy them are really buying into marketing.

But besides that, one of my best friends who was a engineer at HP for 30 years told me that in a magazine for sound professionals, he read that the actual cost of parts to make Beats headphones is $14 - $34 based on model. Add in Chinese labor, and you have the manufacturing cost.

Now, I don't claim to be a sound engineer, but for 30+ years I have been a DJ, and for 19 years I worked in TV, running sound for the news. And I can tell you this, I own a set of Sony headphones that costs $49 that blow the Beats out of the water. Even the TV station used Sony Studio headsets that cost about $100.

Granted, Beats does look a whole lot better, but is it really worth all that extra money to look cool?

I will also admit, that I have fallen for the hype before.... I have a few BOSE products that I overpaid for...... but the one thing about Bose is the awesome customer service. I have had a few things go wrong with my Bose products, but Bose has never charged me a dime to fix anything.

I wonder if Dr. Dre will spot you the cash for any repair bills?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I like Sony X10's alot better. But to each it's own
Old 05-16-2014, 11:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm pretty sure half the people with Beats knows that it's not quality. From those I've talked with them, it's mainly for the look. Personally I'd rather a nice pair of Sennheisers but we all have our reasons.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

If you asked me ten years ago I'd have said yes, I knew I was paying more for the brand, not the quality so much, but I was young and wanted to be cool.
If you ask me now I'll say no way. I have a set of so y headphones that cost 50 quid but I had a half price voucher so on,y paid 25 and I really love them,
Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default I agree

They are not anything that special. Everyone gets them instead of Sony's or Logitech because Dr.Dre "made" them. I know he did not make them but he represents them I guess you would say. Since Dr.Dre made them, Beats headphones have more "swag".

I could use some Marshalls though, hehe
Old 05-17-2014, 11:26 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

It's like Skullcandy, you're paying for the label. Sound quality is average at best.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I'd say invest in the best set of Sennheisers/Sonys that you can easily afford (and won't be too upset when you eventually break them). I tend to use a set of Sennheiser 275s out and about mostly because in-ears are just more portable and I like having the mic for calls etc.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Skullcandy 50/50's.