iPhone Developer’s Guild, who’s in?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jrtb, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jrtb

jrtb Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    “Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.” - Winston Churchill

“The AppStore is the worst mobile software storefront, except all those other mobile software storefronts that have been tried from time to time.” - Chris Garrett, ZWorkbench

Assertion 1: The App Store for iPhone and iPod touch is the best publishing medium for independent developers that has ever existed. It is now truly possible to compete with the giants on today’s preeminent mobile gaming platform (with an estimated 40 million units shipped).

Assertion 2: The Crapp Store really has problems. Review system. Metadata searching. Try before you buy. Piracy. Quality of apps. Great apps never get seen (or downloaded).

What can we do?

Connie and I, co-founders of Fairlady Media and developers of Whack ‘em All for iPhone / iPod touch, would like to propose that like-minded developers form an iPhone Developer’s Guild. We’ll call ourselves the iDG. Here’s what we’ll do:

1) Organize ourselves into a unified voice and get responses from Apple on issues of concern. Engage Apple in a meaningful dialogue to address these issues.

2) Agree to give accurate reviews to each member’s apps on the app store.

3) Collaborate with each other about issues like development, QA, marketing, pricing strategy, revenue and maybe even share some code.

We’re willing to help coordinate and will kick things off by giving an honest, thoughtful and high quality review to any developer’s app that is willing to do the same for ours. Leave comments below. Email me ([email protected]). Follow me on twitter (http://twitter.com/jrtb).

Who’s in?

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Great idea, although it's been done before :p

I'm still in though, and am now following you guys on Twitter.

3. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Definitely; sounds like a decent enough idea. Following you on twitter too, let us know what the next step is. :D

4. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Would this group simply give one another a promo code to review eachothers app or we would have to buy each others apps. I don't mind the latter if its something I am interested in but I can't go around buying too many apps. If its promo codes that would be perfect.

Either way, I am in!

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

so is this for developers? or for non developers, or developers and non developers?

6. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I like it. I particularly like the idea of giving honest reviews to other members apps. The biggest boost a new app gets to separate itself from the hordes of other apps is getting a few solid reviews to kickstart things.

Collaboration and unified voice are also important and useful aspects to this. Count me in.

7. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    I love the idea of a unionized group. I think this would better effectively convey our needs and possibly get them addressed where its needed. I do however have some questions as to the footwork to be done for organizing a group like this.
    In what manner do you intend to unify our voice and will we be able to proof read and suggest our changes to said amendments before ratifying something that carries all of our voices?
    Where would this discussion take place? The TA Game developers forum in private? What about developers who choose to not be apart of the iDev Group but wish to be apart of the iDG?
    Im in as long as I know things are very organized. We're talking about potential financial impact. Would be assuring to know that the people coordinating are doing everything they can to be effective toward this cause.

8. jrtb

jrtb Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
  9. jrtb

jrtb Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    This would be for registered developers only at this point..