Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbuddy View Post
This looks like an old, pre-iPhone phone game. Like the kind you could get on a dumbphone in 2005.
Yeah but people like these old games which might have been on a 'dumbphone'. Its called nostalgia.

I'm sure in 10 years time when you're enjoying playing some 'retro ios' games it'll be annoying for some kid to laugh at the look of the game.

If a game plays well it doesnt matter about the graphics, retro style graphics are popular.

But sadly it doesnt play well so thats the end of that !
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Yeah but people like these old games which might have been on a 'dumbphone'. Its called nostalgia.

I'm sure in 10 years time when you're enjoying playing some 'retro ios' games it'll be annoying for some kid to laugh at the look of the game.

If a game plays well it doesnt matter about the graphics, retro style graphics are popular.

But sadly it doesnt play well so thats the end of that !
Hey, I get nostalgia. I've been gaming for more than 30 years. I have a large collection of old consoles and games going back to the 2600, some of them I've held onto since they first came out.

And I can see that this is going for an eight-bit, nostalgic look. Unfortunately, it seems to have failed, and just looks clunky and ugly.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I dont mind the graphics at all, again its all about gameplay. If gameplay/playability is good then the graphics dont matter as much. But again i just hope the devs give another control option as its frustrating with the current controls
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I dont mind the graphics at all, again its all about gameplay. If gameplay/playability is good then the graphics dont matter as much. But again i just hope the devs give another control option as its frustrating with the current controls
I've been playing it and another control option won't fix this mess. Your guy moves like he's under water and has a ridiculous, hard to control floaty jump, the actual enemies barely put up a fight but cheap deaths from accidentally getting under the platforms you're supposed to ride are very common, he passes through these platforms occasionally when you try to stand on them, and the actual gameplay and level design is dull and uninspired.

The goal of the first level seems to be to kill every soldier on it to get an access card to leave, so it's a bug hunt. I haven't been able to do it yet because I keep getting crushed by those platforms and losing my one life.

What else? The music is screechy and horrible. There's an ad at the top of the screen. To make room for the ad your score obscures a big part of the screen. And compared to other games that pulled off pleasing 8 and 16-bit retro styles, this just looks ugly, blurry, and muddy.

The virtual d-pad, though pretty bad, is far from this game's worst problem. This one is trainwreck. Which is a shame because I've always been a fan of Valiant Comics, and having a game to tie in to their latest event is a cool idea.

Last edited by shawnbuddy; 05-02-2013 at 04:28 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

^Apart from that you like it though ?

I played the first level a couple of times, basically bottom right is where theres a couple of soldiers who drop a keycard.

If it was 69p to unlock level 2 and get rid of the ads i might do it but the fact 69p gets you less than the currency needed to get rid of the ads, nah i'll pass and delete it. Had some potential but too many issues ruin it, crazy banner for the score on the screen and strange controls, nah sadly pass
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM

In a fit of masochism I played the first chapter all the way through to the end. My opinion did not improve.

Not counting turrets there's only one enemy type and no variation on the gameplay. It's always kill a certain number of guys for a keycard and then get to the end. Because of the controls it gets kind of tough by the last level because you have to pass through a lot of one-hit-kill laser gates.

Mild spoiler about the bosses follows:

•••Spoiler:  
There are two bosses, one is repeated twice and is just another guy, actually three guys, to stand and shoot. The last boss is almost too tough for this game, you really don't have the moves to deal with his simple attack pattern. He looks like a fat woman in a green mumu for some reason.

In one run through the game I earned 280 coins. Unlocking the second chapter cost 2000 coins, so I could grind the game 7 times. Or I could buy IAP. The biggest IAP is 2500 for $3, so I could get to the second chapter with that. But unless the second chapter is basically a different, much better game neither option is worth it.

Last edited by shawnbuddy; 05-02-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Just played this game. The controls feel delayed and the jumping is too floaty.