Universal Front Wars (by Gregory Challant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #101 nightc1, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    When this updates without the FB issue for the jeep then ill buy it. Also pinch to zoom would be a plus.

Anyone know how many missions this has?

As for other AW-like games. I love Mecho Wars and the now revamped Mecho Wars HD. They did a good job with the new version. I was intitally put off by the sci-fi theme but they have a full package game with cut scenes and quirky characters like what Advance Wars had. Also there's the Great Little War Game and Great Big War Game from Rubicon. They are.both solid. There are several games like Fire Emblem as well. I'll have to look through my collection to pick em out, but a few are solid fun.

I realize those with Facebook or that use it for every bit of garbage out there will have no issues with this. But I stopped using Facebook years ago similar to how years before that I stopped using MySpace and cancelled that account. Even if I had a FB account I'd only want it for keeping in touch with family. It's too overrun with garbage for anything else.

2. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  3. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Clone or no clone, this looks worth trying once the Facebook requirement is dropped.

4. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    I can't get PvP online to work. Anyone else?

5. Narts

Narts New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Hello madgreg,

Major Advance Wars fan here. I bought your game the moment I saw it mentioned on Pocket Tactics. No such thing as bad publicity!

Firstly, I have to report that on my first spin I encountered two crippling bugs. I almost couldn't finish the first mission in the campaign, because the game started spamming me with a "Unit 0 not found" error after I had destroyed the rocket battery. The only units I could move were the two heavy infantry and the battleship, everything else just caused the error popup to come up, and not letting me move.

I then went to multiplayer and realised I couldn't build anything in either of the two games I started because the interface doesn't recognise any of my touches inside the top right 5x5 squares on the screen - guess where all of my factories are.

Some crits about the game mechanics.

The game seems to be more or less Advance Wars 1 without the CO's. I'm all for keeping the unit lineup succinct but is there a particular reason for the omission of CO's? Are they planned to be added later? AW to begin with was not a terribly complex game and the CO's are pretty much where all of the strategic depth comes from. Leaving them out would be a big mistake.

The damage prediction before attack does not seem to take terrain defence or the attacking unit's HP into account making it considerably less useful than in AW. Or I just don't understand how the damage calculation works in this game. It seems to be common for units to take less damage than shown in the prediction, which never happens in AW.

I also saw you claiming, according to Pocket Tactics, that Advance Wars was inspired by Military Madness. This is not true. AW is part of a larger series of games which started in 1988 with a game called Famicom Wars on the Famicom console. Military Madness (also known as Nectaris) came one year later on TurboGrafx-16.

6. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    For those who don't know - CO = Commanding Officer. Each CO brought modifiers with them iirc and you could select those who helped to promote your style of play.

7. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    For what it's worth madgreg, I think you should keep the Spann Island homage in the game. Perhaps it's worth stating somewhere within the game that you've included it as a tribute to the original game? It's such a good well-recognised map that it's worth keeping it in Front Wars, imho.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm not famiar enough to know about that CO, thing but that sounds like a big game changer. Would be amazing if we can get that in.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Oh please, now you just seem to be complaining to complain. He said right in his letter why he did it, he thought of it as an homage to Advance Wars, kind of like movies or songs which make references to other movies and songs. The dev has said right from the start that this was inspired by Advance Wars, so it's not as if he's trying to hide that fact.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I swear, people will shit on a developer for absolutely anything these days.

11. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Hi, thanks for your feedbacks!

I'm sorry to hear that you had disturbing bugs in the campaign, Did the application went background before you had these bugs? Or was it after continuing a game that you had begun before? The way I see It could be a save game problem. Did you try kill the app and restart it? I included a feedback message in next version to help me investigate.

I didn't plan of having a CO-Like thing, Instead I though more of a kind of upgrade tree where you spend the stars you earned during the campaign to upgrade units as you like and build your own play style around it. same for CO ingame special powers, didn't planned features like this, I want to make things different. It takes time to do this and there's so much to do!

Your right about the damage prediction, it is not taking all into account, it's already on my todolist.

About Military Madness I thought it was before Famicom wars but it may be my mistake, sorry.

The version without facebook unlock of the jeep is pending for approval by apple.

I see also that many of you guys would like to have a pinch zoom, I'll look into it this week end.

I watched Eli's stream testing Front Wars, He is right about the game AI that's being passive, but that's just for the first 2 levels. I felt the game was too hard for beginners at the first levels, that's why. But in the following missions the AI is much more challenging.

I'll continue reading your feedbacks on this thread, pardon me if I doesn't reply very often, I got so much work to do!

12. Narts

Narts New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    After I restarted the game the bugs seemed to go away, I haven't been able to reproduce them since.

Looking forward to how you are going to expand the game. So far you seem to have followed the mechanics of Advance Wars pretty closely, to the point of even the unit prices being identical. You just got to remember that AW was balanced around the use of CO powers, and it's very difficult to break through entrenched defensive formations without them. If you're not going to implement powers you'll probably have to come up with some alternative way to boost attack power.

Another thing I noticed you've omitted is the battle copter from the air unit list, which I suppose makes sense since it's WW2, but this leaves a bit of a hole in the unit ecosystem. Unit balance in Advance Wars tended to revolve around rock-paper-scissors style triangles between units and the most important of these was the triumvirate of tank, b-copter and anti-air. Leaving the copter out makes the tank much stronger, because it doesn't have a natural predator anymore. Also not having a cheap air unit means that air units in general will be a rare sight, making anti-airs less useful and therefore rare as well. It makes the whole game poorer in unit composition.

13. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Hi madgreg. Great to see you so involved here. Excellent game so far. I agree on the comments so far. AI does seen passive, even in the later levels. I think I'm in the 5th level and a few enemy units still just sit back without moving. Also, the terrain should have more of an effect of damage right? Right now it doesn't seen to matter.
    Also, how many levels are in the campaign? Just wondering how much further I've got to go. Overall, excellent game though.

14. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I don't care how good the game is, locking a unit behind a Facebook push is disgusting and insulting. When I see that I am going to ignore the game altogether. I understand that getting a game 'out there' is critical for success, but it is time to send the message that we will go out of our way to punish this behaviour.

15. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Who is shitting on the dev? It's a legitimate issue that should be addressed. If it is an homage, then that's fine. But when it starts to generate negative buzz on various sites, then there is definitely a problem. I was totally looking forward to playing this game, but when I started reading these clone accusations it made me leary of picking it up. I would never know that it's only one map because I would never have purchased it. From what I've read now, it seems like it's still the same gameplay as the original, but with an original campaign. I will most likely get the game at this point.

What most people do not seem to understand is that those of us who have been in the creative field for decades do not look kindly on those who take shortcuts through plagiarism. An homage or loosely based is ok as long as you put your own signature on it. But blatant theft is not good for anyone. Perhaps some of these people would see things differently when someone decides to steal their hard work and profit from it. So yes, I did not like what I was reading about the game, but I now see that it was somewhat unfounded. This is why sites like TA are important. They keep these things in check.

16. gamer456ism

gamer456ism Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    It's not that big of a deal, if you don't like don't do it. Simple as that.

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Are all the missions unlocked for single mission in Front Wars so I can play any mission I want, or do I have to slog through the campaign for that?

18. EngineeringYou

Jan 23, 2014
    Multiplayer broken. I have tried to start multiple games, and have to surrender as it's always my first turn even after I "end turn".

When I surrender, it says "victory!" Then the broom flashes and says "button". When I hit it it says "end turn in 5..."

Won't go away. Tried uninstall/reinstall and it didn't help.

19. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Haven't had chance to have a proper read of the thread so forgive me if this has been covered!

Is the multi asynchronous? I certainly hope so.

20. madgreg

madgreg Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Programmer
    Montreal
    Hey Folks, the version without facebook like to unlock the jeep is now live on the store (finally...). I'm sorry for the delay caused by apple's approval, I can't do any thing to speed up the process...
    Another update is on the way with bug fixes, pinch zoom, and 2 new multiplayer maps!
    Thanks for your support!