Length of Application Description in AppStore

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nowires, Jan 13, 2009.

1. nowires

nowires Member

I have seen some really detailed and LONG descriptions for some apps in the AppStore and can't help to wonder how those developers did it。 I mean there is a 700 Char limit when submitting the app, and I didn't see any other field to put in additional decription.

Did I simply miss something? Any one else wonder about the same thing?

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I find it really corny when developers use those long descriptions.

3. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Personally, I'd prefer a very long description over a short one. I like the ones that list the features and what future updates will bring. Sometimes the description is what makes me decide to get the app if it has enough detail (otherwise I might watch videos, ask friends about the app, read reviews, etc).

4. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    a lot of users seem to thing that a longer description for a game means it is a longer game...more intricate and challenging

On most Q and A sessions I've read, successful devs seem to say that longer descriptions lead to more sales...even if it is gibberish.

Added a quote from a reviewer, an announcement or two and a warning to my description of Rolly and saw a bump of about 5-10 sales a day (this is a game which sells on average 30 units per day before description change)

also, when my game got an update, I put in a detailed list of changes/additions (around the same time as description change). This might have been a factor too.

For all the rest of the games I develop, I'm starting out with a long description even if it is a simple game, but that's just my opinion.

5. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, I think you're right. Another thing that I thought of that helps app sales is the icon. If you've got a long, detailed description and an very polished icon, I garauntee you'll get more sales. ;)

Think of all the people that use AppSniper. They only see the price, developer and the icon when a new app is released. About 95% of the time, I don't even bother checking out an app with an ugly icon. I'm most likely going to check on games with very nice, polished icons.

6. nowires

nowires Member

Well long or short, so long as I can have enough details.

The problem is I don't know how to go beyond the 700 Char limit if I need to. Have you able to put in more than 700 in there?