Wayward Souls (Mage Gauntlet spinoff by Rocketcat)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    OFFICIAL TA FORUM REVIEW

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

From TA front page...

Previous details below might be outdated:
    From Rocketcat Facebook: "Mage Gauntlet update work is winding down, so soon we're moving on to the spinoff. It will be a randomly generated dungeon crawler using MG monsters and mechanics, but with lots of changes. Big features:

- Different classes for the player to choose from, with more added in updates if the game does well.
    - Free to download. Every day, there's a different class that can be played completely for free.
    - You can get gems as IAP or find them in the dungeon. Gems let you permanently unlock classes so you can play them whenever you want, or let you buy bonuses that last for a single game."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Spellsword is essentially the same as Lexi from Mage Gauntlet. Anti-magic dash move, finds randomized single-use spells, while also being very strong in melee. However, he has low health compared to almost every other character.

Despite the similarity to Mage Gauntlet mechanics, we'll be taking a lot of time to improve things with the Spellsword. The heart system will be replaced with a health bar system, allowing for things like armor that actually reduces damage. We're also looking into altering the equipment a bit. Some ideas include making some of the swords change what your charge-attack does, the spell-critical robes being replaced with new effects, and the spell trinkets adding secondary effects to the specific spell.

[​IMG]
    The mage is about blowing up enemies with magic. At range. Where it's safe.

What we're going for, though things can change by release of the game:

- Primary attack is medium range magical bolts. For more energy, you can also charge up the bolt for a longer range attack that pierces multiple enemies. These attacks have some difficulty against large swarms of enemies, especially if they're in your face.
    - "Trinket Ability" that recharges as you defeat enemies. Variety of them, generally along the lines of keeping enemies away from you. Stuns, slows, pushing enemies away.
    - "Spell Ability" that consumes mana, which you recharge mostly from vials that enemies drop. You get to decide at the start of each game what you want. Generally very damaging abilities, but limited use.
    - "Crush Ability" that requires rare enemy drops to recharge, but devastates enemy groups.

[​IMG]
    The gunner class is about gunning things. You dish out a lot of damage at range, but you're dependent on finding both ammunition and your actual weapons. What attacks you have available each game can vary wildly, based on what you find in the dungeon.

You can find a variety of dwarven firearms and magical artifacts to put in your inventory. Equip both a main weapon and side weapon in your menu, and switch between them at the press of a button. You can carry five total, and drop them when you want to make room for a better weapon. In addition, you get to choose a starter weapon, a melee weapon, and an armor type between games, the latter two of which can't be dropped.

If we can get it to work right, this class will use dual-stick-shooter like controls. That is, a v-stick or swipe on the right of the screen will let you shoot independently of your running direction. That's the plan, anyway, but it can change a lot between now and the game's release.

[​IMG]
    The warrior is about cutting things down with physical attacks. Planned features:
    - Powerful, fast weapon attacks. Quicker swing rate than Lexi, but limited by an energy pool. If you run out of energy, you're temporarily forced to punch enemies instead.
    - Dash replaced with a running punch attack that lets you knock a single enemy down in a long stun.
    - Most classes will now get the ability to swap between two different sub-ability types in their menu. The warrior can bring out shields with different properties and also has access to a variety of throwing weapons.
    - Large amount of health, boosted further by being able to find support items to be put in a small inventory.

2. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Nice! I remember them talking about the spin-off.

EDIT: This is from Rocketcat's FB

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So basically I get to try Mage Gauntlet before buying? Awesome :) I never got MG so playing a similar game for free will tell me is it my cup of tea.

4. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Hel ya. Any 'first day exclusives' this time?

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Nice! Anything from Rocketcat Games is an instabuy.

Hopefully it'll be just as good as Mage Gauntlet (or better?) :D

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm pretty confident that rocketcat will do that again as always

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Wasn't this gonna be free from the get-go, with rotating availability of characters and an IAP to unlock all/more of them?

Or am I thinking of the other Rocketcat game?

8. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Yup this is the same game!

9. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    STOP!

The Spellsword is simply a character, not the game!

10. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    ^This.

The OTHER CHARACTERS are:

The Warrior:

The warrior is about cutting things down with physical attacks. Planned features:
    - Powerful, fast weapon attacks. Quicker swing rate than Lexi, but limited by an energy pool. If you run out of energy, you're temporarily forced to punch enemies instead.
    - Dash replaced with a running punch attack that lets you knock a single enemy down in a long stun.
    - Most classes will now get the ability to swap between two different sub-ability types in their menu. The warrior can bring out shields with different properties and also has access to a variety of throwing weapons.
    - Large amount of health, boosted further by being able to find support items to be put in a small inventory.

The Gunner:

The gunner class is about gunning things. You dish out a lot of damage at range, but you're dependent on finding both ammunition and your actual weapons. What attacks you have available each game can vary wildly, based on what you find in the dungeon.

You can find a variety of dwarven firearms and magical artifacts to put in your inventory. Equip both a main weapon and side weapon in your menu, and switch between them at the press of a button. You can carry five total, and drop them when you want to make room for a better weapon. In addition, you get to choose a starter weapon, a melee weapon, and an armor type between games, the latter two of which can't be dropped.

If we can get it to work right, this class will use dual-stick-shooter like controls. That is, a v-stick or swipe on the right of the screen will let you shoot independently of your running direction. That's the plan, anyway, but it can change a lot between now and the game's release.

The Mage:

The mage is about blowing up enemies with magic. At range. Where it's safe.

What we're going for, though things can change by release of the game:

- Primary attack is medium range magical bolts. For more energy, you can also charge up the bolt for a longer range attack that pierces multiple enemies. These attacks have some difficulty against large swarms of enemies, especially if they're in your face.
    - "Trinket Ability" that recharges as you defeat enemies. Variety of them, generally along the lines of keeping enemies away from you. Stuns, slows, pushing enemies away.
    - "Spell Ability" that consumes mana, which you recharge mostly from vials that enemies drop. You get to decide at the start of each game what you want. Generally very damaging abilities, but limited use.
    - "Crush Ability" that requires rare enemy drops to recharge, but devastates enemy groups.

Two official classes to go! Coming next week, either the Rogue or the Cultist.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    So the game is releasing with 6 classes? And I assume more will be added over time?

12. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    nice! i love you rocketcat!!

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Phew! I was about to come here and bash the name, because it didn't sound as catchy as Mage Gauntlet!

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    I believe it will be 7. There is a secret class that may or may not be announced prior to release.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm all over this as I LIVE for good randomized dungeon crawlers! :D

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    omg

Is this going to be the game that satisfies my hunger for loot?..... :cool:

17. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    #17 Teh_Ninja, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    OHMYGOSH :eek::eek::eek:

Is there an estimated time for release?

18. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Mage gauntlet was pretty much loot-less compared to what I was expecting,
    Any news on how much loot there will be in this one?
    How many item slots?
    Different weapons for each class?
    Different rarity classes? Epic, unique etc?
    Different difficulty levels? Something challenging to actually use that cool loot on?

I lovedmage gauntlet, great controls, great combat, really cool spells and much more.
    Hope this one will be as good as it got potential to be.
    Not impressed so far, they've released the wrong bits of info, the secondary stuff, they have misses the meat.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah. Though we're planning it so there will actually be 7 classes if you get the game the first day. First-couple-day downloaders will get a "secret class" for free, which will be a paid class for everyone else and probably not available until the second class update.

We're doing the secondary stuff first.

Briefly: No Diablo loot system, but we're having way more things to collect each run. Some equipment items can drop from chests, but mostly you'll use gold to unlock and upgrade items. 4 item slots including hat. Porbably 10 different weapons for each class (OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD).

We're stealing the bit from Binding of Isaac where the dungeon "levels up" each time you beat it, though we're expanding the concept. Each time you beat the dungeon it gets longer, with new enemies, scenery, bosses, and a new ending each time for each character class. It will start easy but with the last couple of dungeon types being amazingly difficult. So each character has like 4 endings, with the last dungeon level-up making it endless.

20. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    #20 vibliribland, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    Impressive with an answer from the devs within the hour! :)

Great to hear, however I'm not fully clear on. The loot.

Will some specific items, like hats drop from chests and monsters and armor and weapon bought with gold? Like in dungeon hunter 3? God it tastes vile in mouth even talking about that game.

Or will all different item types be found AND bought, where the most rare ones will be looted and the basic ones bought?

Personally (-and I'm not bashing your design choices here) I really dislike the whole "gather currency and unlock equipment" since it takes away ALL the feeling of accomplishment and wow factor in getting new equipment.
    That's because from the first second you start the game you know what items you will get eventually, instead of finding out on the way and leaving it to luck, ala diablo, sacred, zenonia, inotia etc.

I really hope you keep the random spells aspect, no matter how many urns I crashed I was always excited to see what spell I got :) .

Thx for the reply!

EDIT: Any release date planned? Or any general release ideas? January? August? 2034?