80's Flavored "Saturday Morning RPG"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benny M., Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    #1 Benny M., Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Mighty Rabbit Studios will be unleashing our nostalgic 80's flavored rpg "Saturday Morning RPG" January 2012 on iOS prdoucts(Android version forthcoming). If you love Saturday morning cartoons or pop culture, you will be hard pressed not to find something to enjoy from our title.

You will be playing our hero, Marty, as he discovers a unique and powerful ability granted by "The Wizard" to utilize magical powers summoned from everyday objects (referenced to the 80's) in combat. Marty will use this power in conjunction with a constantly growing arsenal against the terrifying and ever-expanding forces of the villainous "Commander Hood". In a nefarious plot for world domination, villainous forces inspired by your favorite cartoons will be forced to reckon with Marty as he fights to thwart their plans.

Game play in "Saturday Morning RPG" revolves around exploring Marty's world, collecting objects, and fighting enemies. Players will store these collected objects in their notebook, which can be customized with stat boosting covers and Scratch N' Sniff stickers.

"Saturday Morning RPG" is going to be an episodic game that spans several self-contained episodes allowing you to carry items, experience, and stats forward into future episodes creating an extended gaming experience. These episodes can be replayed in any order, and be played infinitely - giving way to a "New Game Plus" mode unlike any other. Join us in our journey back to a time when nothing topped Saturday morning cartoons, the toy at the bottom of a cereal box, or the power glove...because "it's so bad".

Concept Art "Marty"
    [​IMG]

Concept Art "Commander Hood"
    [​IMG]

Concept Art (future episodes) "Share Bears"
    [​IMG]

Concept Art (future episodes) "Humbug"
    [​IMG]

Concept Art (future episodes) "Ron, Jon, and Shaun"
    [​IMG]

Check out our Facebook fan page and tell us what you think, or visit our website http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #2 undeadcow, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
    I've had my eye on this for a while. I prefer the older retro style to this newer more polished trailer. Cheers for your get in the game be a character in the game contest. can you elaborate on the episodic nature? Also will world exploration be side scrolling primarily?

Good luck in the final stages of polish. Looks promising, best wishes.

3. dizzydank

dizzydank Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Assitant Managing Editor - Games, AppTudes; TV/Mov
    portland, ME
    For lack of better, more eloquent phrases:

This looks freakin' sweet.

Good luck with the development over the next couple months, I'm really looking forward to playing this in the new year.

4. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Utterly mind Blowing...i watched the trailer 6 times....

concept is freakin amazing...graphics....emotively fresh and tubular!!!

5. Gguo

Gguo Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2010
    CEO,Programmer,Uh.. All Thing [ one-man Company :)
    It's worth living in the world because somebody keep making game like these :)

Cheers! Keep working!

6. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    To answer undeadcow, the game will actually have an overworld map where the character will break out of the side scrolling into overworld exploration. As far as the episodic nature is concerned, we will have seperate episodes coming out over the next few years (as financial stability sees fit) that will graph out an over arcing original story for the series. Each episode should run roughly an hour long in gameplay, but each will have the ability for replay to grind up stats. Whatever experience and leveling you incurr will carry over to each new episode as enemies become more challenging. Thanks for your interest in the game!

7. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    to dizzydank and trev1, thanks for your kind response to the game! It's certainly been a labor of love...if either of you are familiar with the development process, even a game of this size has been a year in development. The current trailer doesn't even entail the overworld portion of the game, or the newest attack abilities available to the player (don't want to spoil any surprises!). Being a small developer, responses like this really give us a moral boost as we plow through the final stages of debugging to get this game out to you all...cheers!

8. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    ...I didn't mean to miss you Gguo. We make games that are frickin sweet like this because it is a game we would want to play. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and we hope to keep making titles like this in the future for fans like you!

9. thecabster

thecabster Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    C.E.O./Co-Founder at Lab Rats Studio
    RDU, NC
    It's about time you guys made a thread on here. Looks good, keep up the good work.

10. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks TheCabster, appreciate the encouragment!

11. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I watched the video. I love this. I want this.

12. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    #12 Trev1, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Benny ...seriously this looks to be one of the coolest freakin games I've seen in a loooong time for IOS ..coming from a 80s child and TB RPG maniac !

Ps ...thanks for the invite... can't wait to work with you!

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    to be honest i do not like old school stuff at all. however... that super awesome trailer was indeed super awesome sauce

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe it would be a wise marketing tactic to push up release to before the holidays, mid-December; ride the holiday buzz and take advantage of gift card funds... :eek:

15. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    This preview completely grabbed my attention. Would love to see more images and news in the upcoming weeks.

16. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC
    Well L. Lawliet, that's a plus for us! If you can enjoy the game without loving the 80's, that's certainly some good mojo, glad to hear!

Shyguy3, we'll have some new concept art coming up today, stay tuned!

...and Melvin, we love you too.

17. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    This game is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen ........ I FREAKING LOVE IT!It's like having a dream as a kid after a sugar rush from frosted flakes the child within us all pines for this game to come out

18. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    Hi everybody. I'm the lead programmer and designer on SMRPG - just wanted to drop some awesome info that we hadn't posted yet.

Saturday Morning RPG features a full soundtrack composed by Vince DiCola and Kenny Meriedeth. If you're not familiar with Vince, he did the soundtracks to Transformers: The Animated Movie and Rocky IV. Kenny is Vince's composing partner and has done songs and score for several cherished shows from the last few decades (Full House, Duck Tales, X-Men, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, etc.). They're both incredibly talented musicians who we couldn't be more thankful to have working with us on Saturday Morning RPG.

Some of Vince's work:

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... this looks GREAT! Can't wait til next year! =oD

20. IrishRed

IrishRed Active Member

May 22, 2011
    Jumper of Sharks
    Boston, MA
    I love the whole concept. Suggestion: cut scenes with fake cereal ads... so many Saturday morning cereal ads back then. And if I can invoke some sort of wondertwin-like power to turn into a bucket of water, I will be giddy with nostalgia. :)