Break up the "iphone and ipod touch" forum into 2

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by nippyjun, May 21, 2009.

1. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I would like to see the "iphone and ipod touch" forum broken up into 2 forums. One would be for actual game discussions. The other would be for all the announcements that are put in there now.

Also, lets ban any threads that have an exclamation in the title. ;)

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    let's just close that forum and ban every post with letter "a" in the title.

3. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #3 Benegesserit, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Well, maybe moderate the ones that have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i.e. greater than 1) in the title. Same with most or all caps. Other than that I'm all for people being excited about an app.

Announcements and game discussion are the same thing. An announcement that gets discussion primarily based on just that announcement are typically found in the Upcoming board. In the "release" board as I prefer to call it, the release is announced and then people talk about the game. I will admit though that it can be annoying to see multiple threads on a board about the same game. I usually use other websites to find out what just got released but discuss them here.

4. nippyjun

Aug 8, 2008
    That's why i want 2 separate forums. One to promote apps and one to actually discuss them. I'm glad that people (including the people who wrote the apps) are excited to promote them, but i want to discuss them elsewhere.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    #5 Murdoch, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    rolleyes

Your talking about 2 different things here. 2 separate forums one to promote and one to discuss is a great idea, but why not have more than just 2.
    Great news its already been done
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/index.php

but there is no point in doing one for iphone and one for itouch, as the differences are minor, one has a mic and the other doesn't.
    there are not many apps exclusive to the iphone and not the touch.

Maybe the person writing the topic could point out that its for the iphone not the touch.... or have a box one could check off for the iphone exclusively, that it makes things a lot more simple than having a whole other forum for just the iphone...

6. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I dont like it broken up into 2. Now I have to check two places to see what the hot topics are.

Actually 3 since I also check the upcoming games forum.

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    quite agree with 99c !

it was easier just to ignore the whats the best game thread for 99c than now having to look at 3 seperate forums, i definately see this as a step in the wrong direction.

It took ages to move the mmopg crap which really was necessary, but i dont see why we need to split a thread about a game being released, peoples review / opinion of the game and a discussion about the game !

8. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Fully agree with soup and 99c. Splitting the discussions makes it harder to follow a discussions/reviews/release info about a specific game. Reading both the games forum and the apps forum was just about enough for me... when the Upcoming releases subforum was created I have no longer been following new releases. One tab on my computer browser and one Safari page on my phone is dedicated for toucharcade, so I won't be reading any other subforums. My loss, I know.

Just had to come here to complain as I noticed the number of new forums... a grumpy old man me :)

9. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    #9 pharmx, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    I understand why all the new forums were created. Organization is great, and people were posting way too many threads, most of which were off topic or just pointless. I also understand that the mods were having to work overtime to lock and move the clutter all these threads were creating.

But I have to agree with the above posters. I think the games and upcoming games forums should be recombined, and the general discussion should be a subforum similar to the MMO codes forum. This way all the relevant games discussions can be found in one place, and all the "what should I get" and similar threads can be moved into the subforum.

I still like having a separate review forum though, simply for quick and easy access.

10. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    oh i forgot about the upcoming games forum - agree since its been split i very rarely look there at all

11. nippyjun

Aug 8, 2008
    My intent of being the original poster of this thread was to have a forum just for announcements of new games and one for discussion of games.

The announcement forum could be just one post threads that don't allow replies so it's truly just an announcement list.

When i look at the iphone and ipod touch games forum many of the threads started as announcement and have been used for discussion of those games. The problem is that as people reply to the thread it gets bumped up to the top and then it looks at first glance that this game may have just been released. You actually have to look in the thread to see if it's new or not.

Instead of 2 forums maybe we could require the original poster of announcement posts to put the date in the title?

I'm always looking for new games to buy but i just can't easily tell what is new by the post's title.

12. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  13. nippyjun

Aug 8, 2008
    #13 nippyjun, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009