Need for Speed: Shift or Asphalt 5

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Dec 18, 2009.

1. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    these 2 games has stunning graphics and great gameplay on its own.
    which one do you prefer?

Shift has 20 licensed cars and Alphalt 5 has 30 cars including motorbikes from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ducati.

2. strato g

strato g Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Well, Need For Speed: Shift lacks an option for manual acceleration and Asphalt 5 lacks an option for a cockpit view. With that in mind, they may be even.

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Real Racing

4. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    To start off, Asphalt 5 does not have stunning graphics, and the framerate is low. On the other hand, NFSS has graphics that looks great on any device, and the framerate is smooth on my Touch 2G.

In terms of gameplay, although Asphalt has more cars, in NFSS each has a different feel and they really make a difference (and you have to save for upgrades), instead of buying and fully upgrading one after each level up. Also, exluding Cop Chases, the races are quite easy and can get boring quickly, whereas in NFSS it is always a challenge if you turn off the assists.

Overall NFSS has a feel of polish to it that Asphalt 5 lacks.

Go with Need for Speed: Shift

5. iPodtouchfancarjacks

iPodtouchfancarjacks Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    north carliona
    why that, need for speed is better need for speed shift is the best racer git it now mann

6. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    If you're a graphics and framerate wh0re like me, then get NFS:S.

If you prefer a more realistic driving simulation, go for Real Racing.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This one's not even close. A5 was disappointing to me. NFSS is leaps and bounds above. Real Racing isn't in competition with this I think. Most people who wanted RR already have it. It is amazing in every way, and more of a sim than NFS, even this version of it, but EA did a great job here, and you can tell they took the time to do it right.

8. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Just out of curiosity, what did you dislike about A5? I thought it was pretty good but I'm more a fan of arcade racers than Sims. I've yet to pick up NFS:S because it looks "simmy" and I already have RR.

Edit: and the multiplayer on A5 works really well for me

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Honestly, the main complaints that I have are related to graphics (I have a 3GS and to me the game looks washed out), and although people complain that NFS is "on rails", I hate the fact that when I nitro in Asphalt it almost always involves me scraping around corners no matter how hard I steer. That feels much more "on rails" than NFS does. Also, I think Shift still has an arcade quality to it, it's more sim than Underground, but less sim than RR. I really like it.

10. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Yeah that resonates. I have a 3GS also and I remember being underwhelmed by the graphics when I got the game, because some of the screen shots I saw looked really nice. If NFS:S is less sim than RR then I am going to definitely have to pick it up, especially with the licensed cars. Thanks for the feedback.

11. that1techguy

that1techguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Personally I think real racing is still the best sim racer. I got nfss to try it out to see what everyone was talking about so far it's not that impressive only 1 control scheme and even with tilt all the way up the car hardly turns at 40. I mean I do that in my camry every day and what's up with all these exotics to me that spoiled the game and they call it a racing sim it's not even close to one yes I need nos in my db9... If it was a real sim they wouldnt have that because in real life the motor would burn up. What I'm saying that this game is just another arcade style racer. My only hope now is that gt motor acadmey will have the cars and real life condtions or firemint starts to update real racing with new licensed cars.

12. Andgut

Andgut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    canada
    which would run better on a 1st gen ipod and do either need the 3.0 update??

13. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Real Racing, A5, and Shift only need 2.2.1

14. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Wow, no manual acceleration? And EA call it a sim?