Closest thing to Pokemon on iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hawks12thman, May 26, 2009.

1. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Trying to get attention for what purpose? I've already said that we are not developing a game like this, and our other game is not even going to be for the phones so why would I try to hype the game (which is by the way miles from being finished) in an iPhone forum?

I'm still around because I consider it to be polite to give a proper answer when someone asks me a question. It's really that simple. :cool:

2. SpaceJoker

SpaceJoker Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Guys, could you stop derailing the thread?
    I come here looking for sugestions of games similar to pokemon and most of the thread is two guys arguing about rumors (that in my opinion are just stupid, that would never happen)

3. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I wouldn't call it stupid, stranger things have happened, but I do agree that we're starting to drift off-topic, and I apologize for contributing to the derailing of the topic.

More on topic, there are emulators on which you can play pokémon on a jailbroken iPhone. It's not legal everywhere though, but where it is legal it is a decent alternative till something better comes along.

4. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    No. It's stupid. Nintendo would never, ever do something like that. That would be like Apple putting iOS on a Nokia phone. Just nonsense. You're either gullible or trying to sound cool. Or trolling. I don't know.

Anyway, Space Joker aside from jailbreaking and emulating Pokemon, Geo Society is the closest you're gonna get. It's not great... or even very good. But it'll do if you really want something like Pokemon.

5. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    iOS on Nokia is hardly a fair comparison, you might as well have suggested Microsoft releasing a app for PS3 that let PS3 owners play any Xbox360 game on their PS3.

I've already named a fairly reasonable scenario with a reason to sell a pokémon game on the iPhone, and if you seriously consider it I am sure you could come up with several more possible scenarios. If you cannot I suggest you give the "reasons to do"-line of thinking a try instead of merely "reasons not to do".

6. V3RMILLION

Feb 16, 2011
    What scenario? That it wouldn't cut into their profits? That makes no sense. That would definitely cut into their profits. Why on earth would they give money to their competition and drive customers away from them? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that most companies LOSE money when they make systems and make money off of the games they sell. In your line of reasoning why wouldn't they just throw "classic" Pokemon games on the PSP while they're at it? Pokemon is one of Nintendo's greatest cash cows. You must be really naive or have the worst business sense in the world. Or both.

7. Kaikyro

Kaikyro Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
  8. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    We have ourselves a winner!

9. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    Why not just use gpSPhone for the iPod touch and iPhone? (It's a GBA rom emulator).

10. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Because it's not legal unless you have the actual game.

GeoSociety is the one of the best, if not the best, attempt at a Pokemon-inspired game. The only complaint is that the controls and the battle system aren't as fluid as I want them too. However, horizontal control, full screen, and online interaction between players is going to come in an update.

11. RedMattis

RedMattis Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Releasing a pokémon classic for the iPhone will not stop people from buying the DS or 3DS. If the players wanted no more than the old classics they would just stick to the Gameboy Classic, but this is not the case, and a good pokémon game for the iPhone may even attract more customers to the 3DS with the promise of even better pokémon games.
    Gotta catch 'em all! ;)

Oh, and by the way, calling others naive and stupid isn't impressing anyone. Would it be such a pain to phrase yourself more politely?

12. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Considering the fact that they wouldn't be able to sell a Pokemon game for 50 bucks on the app store and that most people would just pirate it anyway, I don't think it would be a wise decision for Nintendo at all. Plus it probably wouldn't attract people to buy a 3DS with the promise of a better Pokemon game because most people would just settle for the iOS offering.

13. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Plus Nintendo don't want people playing IOS over there "Precious" 3DS.

It would be the biggest no no for a company that develop's games and consoles. You would never put one of your games on another device, Never in the world would we see a Pokemon on IOS. Not that i really care as i have never played the game before anyways. :p

14. V3RMILLION

Feb 16, 2011
    #54 V3RMILLION, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not trying to impress anyone. Furthermore, I never said the word "stupid." If that's how you took my calling your business sense horrible, well then that is on you. I'm simply pointing out how ridiculous your "rumors" are. If anyone is trying to impress people, it would be you with all the nonsense you're spouting.

And MrThreeCats and triggywiggy only helped provide more reasons why your rumor is so highly dubious and illogical.

15. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Yeah, gee, that would be like Sega putting Sonic on the Appstore :) Crazy, right? That would never happen. Especially since Mattis just said they might be releasing a "classic" version of the game :p Just saying, I kind of agree with Mattis. Nothing is ever impossible.

I still go with my previous decision: GeoSociety is the closest so far.

16. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Though Sega hasn't had a popular system for a while. And yes, it is possible, but extremely unlikely. I mean like less than 1%

17. V3RMILLION

Feb 16, 2011
    #57 V3RMILLION, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    SEGA isn't in the console business anymore. They make their money SOLELY on their software, ergo, it makes perfect sense for them to try and get their games out on every platform possible. Did SEGA ever license Sonic out to Nintendo WHILE they were still making systems? Nope. Why? Because that's only a good move if you enjoy losing money. What happened once they dropped out of the console race? Ta-DA! They began throwing Sonic onto every platform/system that would have him, because now the only way they can stay in business is to sell as many games as they possibly can. Now if Nintendo ever went the way SEGA did and stopped making consoles, then I would understand them porting their existing properties to other consoles. But that isn't the case, is it? Nintendo will NEVER release one of their games on another platform, even a classic. At least not while they are still in the business of making consoles/handhelds.

18. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Okay, that example was quite flawed. I still think that it's not entirely impossible though. Maybe not at the time, but in the future?

19. V3RMILLION

Feb 16, 2011
    Well even though I wouldn't count on it, perhaps if Nintendo did become unable to continue in the console business I imagine they would mimic SEGA in becoming a software only company. But at this point in time I find it implausible. So yeah, I will concede, perhaps in the future. Just not the near future.

20. SoulBlade

SoulBlade Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    You should make a monkey with blades on its feet, a red mohawk, and a semi-automatic plasma launcher for its left arm. And give it a backpack full of hand grenades and angel wings. Name it "The Boss"