Doom Resurrection vs Resident Evil 4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Feltzem, Jul 27, 2009.

?

Doom Resurrection or Resident Evil 4?

1. Doom Resurrection

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Resident Evil 4

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I already have Doom Resurrection and am thinking about buying RE4, but in your opinion which game is better? Price isn't really a factor. Which is better in terms of graphics, gameplay, controls, fun-ness, etc?

2. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    DOOM Resurrection is so, so much better.
    It's a full-fledged, highly polished, and carefully crafted game.
    Resident Evil 4 mobile edition isn't any of those things :(
    ... Disappointing

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Re4 isn't out yet. How can they be compared????

4. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    Be very surprise... Link

Anyway, the biggest barrier to RE's series is its control. If one find the control to be fine then you would very likely to enjoy the game :)

As a port, RE4 is true to its console counter part in term of control and not just some watered down rail shooter. However, while hardcore fans might be disappointed, Doom Resurrection is still a very well done game considering the platform.

I've not start to play RE4 yet so I'm not sure about other things except the control.

5. walsh06

Wow I am surprised. I'm also surprised I didnt see the topic. Anyway wow.

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    *Sigh*

DOOM Resurrection is on rails, therefore, it is $#!T

On rails = $#!T, no matter the other content.

Everyone complains that controls in RE4 are really bad. I challenge these people to come up with a better control scheme than the one in the game.

ALL I CAN THINK OF THAT WOULD MAKE THE CONTROLS BETTER:
    A 180 degree turn button
    Add accelerometer to turn as an alternative control scheme.

I personally just find RE4 far more enjoyable to play, especially seeing as you can ACTUALLY CONTROL YOUR CHARACTER.

IMO RE4 far exceeds DOOM: Resurrection

7. walsh06

i agree with what your saying about controls. There really is no other way to do controls. I think they were handled well.

8. Feltzem

Mar 10, 2009
    Another decent shooter is Prey, but the controls and game length let it down quite a bit.

9. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    If anyone likes Third Person shooters as well, Terminator Salvation is surprisingly good.
    The graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay is very immersive.
    The game is a little short, but with the game costing less than half of what it did on release, it's worth getting :)

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Terminator Salvation is indeed great. It runs more smoothly than BIA on my 3G. Too bad the game is very short.

11. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    D:R I reckon. At no point did I think 'Gawrsh, I wish this wasn't on the rails' because it played very well, the actual only point that lets it down is its length, and I don't know how it compares with RE:4 yet, but I prefer D:R gameplay-wise.

12. Feltzem

Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah, it's definitely a fun game. The on rails thing didn't end up being as bad as I thought, and the gameplay was pretty great. (and of course the graphics)

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I don't agree with you about DOOM, as I like it a lot. That being said, I like RE Degen, and RE 4 a lot as well. I don't have a problem with rails when it's done as well as DR. I just wanted to say that there is 180 degree turn if you double tap the walk button...it's not a dedicated button, but you can do it with the tap.

14. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The two are fundamentally different: on rails vs. open-ended movement. Both have their pros and cons, but one thing I don't think people should be overly critical is the on rails aspect. Honestly, I don't understand the hate for on rails. There is nothing wrong with that approach.

Doom Resurrection has the better controls of the two, but RE4 compromises with the open ended movement. It really comes down to personal preference.

15. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #16 Booch138, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    Ummm.... no. Not at all. On-rails games are fun for people, though not everyone (like you). Not all on-rails are sh!t at all, especially Doom Res (I found it to be very pleasurable). They are just a different kind of game.

Exactly my point... it seems to be like... the most hated genre of all games when people mention it. But why? I always had fun as hell with litegun games at the arcade, and when the Wii started porting them over, the controls translated so amazingly that I felt like a kid again. Same thing with Doom Res, the controls just felt so natural for the iPhone that you don't even pay attention to the onrails factor. Geeze...

I do agree with this though. I always thought (once again, strictly opinion) that the controls on the iDevices for RE were just fine. That's not to say that they didn't take some getting used to, but that was the same with all RE games, console or not. The pacing of the games (RE4 Mobile/RE: Degeneration) were changed to compensate for the controls, making the pace easier to deal with. I will say that RE4: Mobile is much more faster paced than RE Degen though.

16. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    DR all the way. Atleast IMO though. RE did a very good job in keeping the game true to the console version given the limitations of iPhone. It was fun to play it through, But once finished, I never went back to the game at all. DR on the other hand has kept me occupied even after playing the game from start to finish twice. It still is a lot of fun just to pick it up anytime and start killing the zombies.

On the rails has been criticized for no reason IMO. It shouldn't matter what type of controls and restriction a game has. What should matter is how well they are implemented and how easy they are to get used to instead. RE controls are just passable as they are barely good enough to get the job done. On rails in DR not just get the job done but also make it a lot more fun while at it.

17. Feltzem

Mar 10, 2009
    Personally I prefer free roaming games, but if on rails is done well and the gameplay is exciting then I enjoy it (like Doom). I've tried the lite of RE degen and mostly enjoyed it, but couldn't stand how you had to walk, stop, shoot.In RE 4 the graphics seem improved a little, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I just bought Doom a few days ago though, so I'll probably get RE 4 in about a week. Overall the concensus seems to be that it's pretty decent.

18. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I couldn't pick a favorite.

Both games are amazing.

Definitely the two best action games on the iPhone. Any action game fan who writes off either because of a preconceived notion about the controls or style is really missing out.

Doom nay be on rails, but it's easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had out of the 100 or so iPhone games I've bought, while RE4 is a big step up from degeneration and pretty amazing for a phone game as well.

19. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I personally don't like on rail shooters too much. I like games where I can cover, or run from my impending doom/fate more than the games where I am taken directly to it and cannot change that. It effects me on a mental level that I am not that comfortable of.

That happens. Every once in a while, comes a great game that people aren't too fond of due to a certain concept, or it's like a console game and people don't like that, or for whatever reason, the game just becomes underrated from what it should be. I feel your pain there.

I liked RE controls for iDevice too. And for me, they really didn't take much time to break into. After my first zombie headshot, I felt right at home. The mobile edition looks fun, but I'll have to take further considerations before deciding to purchase.