The Curse of Kullvaria! Pirate Themed Twin Stick Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Geta-Ve, May 10, 2011.

1. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

#1 Geta-Ve, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Hey Everyone!

So, admittedly we are quite new here, but we feel that now is the right time to specifically post about our upcoming game. We have enough information already that there is lots to see, and still a ton more to come.

We really hope to get a ton of community feedback both good and bad regarding the game. We update almost nightly with new media.

****Newest media can be viewed here!****
    ****Older media posts can be viewed here!****

So with that said let me introduce you guys to our game

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story So Far

It stars none other than Captain Hugo Cannon Tredder! A down-on-his-luck pirate searching for the legendary Island of Kullvaria. Why is it legendary? Because no one has ever been there! Except, of course, for Hugo.

A once proud and fearce Captain, Hugo lead a swashbuckling expedition to find the legendary Island of Kullvaria. Following bits and pieces of information scrapped together from various olde texts and dusty pages of words forgotten, he charted a course past the Ruby Storms and through the Emerald Seas. As a man of literature he learned early on in life that not all legends are myth and not all myths are to be taken lightly.

Eventually he and his crew made it to that Island, but it was a trip he would never forget. Memories of his crew being swallowed up by the seas haunted his thoughts as he drifted home on a raft, a parting favour and a dire warning from the mighty and mythical Abaddon and the strange cursed creatures in the night.

Fast forward many years to a man that never made it to Kullvaria, a man who lost everything in one swift blow. A desperate, aging drunken shallow of a man that will stop at nothing to get back to that Island and reclaim what is rightfully his for the taking! Not a beast nor man will stand in his way nor will the fabled

Curse of Kullvaria!

Alright, well I really hope that intro peaked your interest as we have a lot to show you guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Curse of Kullvaria?

You might be asking, well, that sounded pretty interesting, but, what IS Curse of Kullvaria, and why should I be interested? Ah! Fantastic questions!

Curse of Kullvaria is a twin stick isometric, pirate themed, shooter. This will be classic, tried and true dodge and shoot game play.

Why should you be interested? Well, for one, we are offering and striving for a high fidelity experience that also encompasses great pick up and put down game play.

Visual style and great game play is not all that we have to offer. We have also planned for post release support for both Survival Mode and the upcoming Story Mode. Our road map, seen below, only details 2 updates, but you can expect at least 3 more after that, each containing a new Story level and an unlockable Survival level. This is a guarantee. Beyond that, if we find that sales are strong, we will continue Hugo's adventure, to new and interesting places! Kullvaria is a mysterious place with hidden secrets waiting to be found.

We are in this for the long haul and we really hope you will join us. :)

Meet The Cast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Follow Us!

Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog
    YouTube
    Email

Who We Are
    Next let me introduce you to the two developers on this game.

Michael Jarvis (me) - Geta-Ve
    I am 26 years old Canadian born awesome guy! at least my wife tells me so... ^_^
    [​IMG]

Michael's Work
    Low-Poly Modelling Reel 2011

Raveen Rajadorai - Ollarin
    Raveen is a 23 year old super cool dude. At least, I tell him so... :p
    [​IMG]

Raveen's Work
    Animation Reel 2011
    Rigging Reel 2010

This is our first project for the iOS and we are totally stoked for its release.

Below you will find our current road map for Curse of Kullvaria.

Game Features Version 1.0
    Version 1.0 Submission Date - June, July, August, TBD - Price: $1.99
    The release date is tentative and dependent on how smoothly production goes.

• Twin Stick Isometric Shooter
    • Pirate Genre
    • Game Center Integration
    • 40+ Achievements
    • High Score Leaderboards
    • 2 Player Co-op (tentative)
    • Utilization of the Unreal Engine
    • Universal App (tentative. iPhone confirmed)
    • First version will feature 1 survival level
    • 4 different enemies
    • Powerups (tentative)
    • A slew of statistics
    • Interactive environmental weapons (Ship Cannons)

Game Features Version 1.5
    Version 1.5 Submission Date - ? - Price: Free

• Fleshed out story
    • First Story Mode level
    • More Achievements
    • More Statistics
    • More Leaderboards
    • User Feedback

Game Features Version 2.0
    Version 2.0 Submission Date - ? - Price: Free

• Second Story Mode Level
    • Second Survival Mode Level
    • More Enemies
    • More Powerups (tentative)
    • More Achievements
    • More Statistics
    • More Leaderboards
    • User Feedback

2. Geta-Ve

#2 Geta-Ve, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    August 21 2011

Hey Everybody!

Been a few days since we have posted, for which I am sorry, so many things to go on about, but I will leave that for the blog post which should be going up by tomorrow. I am just proofreading it at the moment.

But for now enjoy a new playtest video, showcasing moving water (work in progress) and lots of enemies! Woo!

Let us know what you think! :D

3. Starish

Starish Member

May 9, 2011
    do you have a video of ur game?

4. Geta-Ve

Hey Starish! We definitely have some videos for you to check out! Take a gander at the second post.

Thanks! :)

5. Geta-Ve

Hey there everyone, just wanted to let you know that we will have another update for you all tonight. Roughly 3 hours. Should be a lot of pictures of UV Maps and such. :D

Just a heads up for some wondering. Once the May beta of UDK hits, I will be delving in to it pretty hard, finally setting up our project properly. At that point I will know how viable our June 30th submission date actually is.

Cheers!

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Interested. Will this be out by the end of the year?

7. Geta-Ve

Hey arta! We are hoping to submit by June 30th! Thanks for your interest!!

8. Geta-Ve

#8 Geta-Ve, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Hey everyone. Here is tonights update from me. I worked on the crewmens UV maps. You can see the generic crewman on the left and the chef on the right. Looks like I may have to redo some of the chefs UV maps, but that is no problem! :D

Let us know what you think.

Also, I will be writing another blog post tonight, provided Blogger comes back online (their posting capabilities are down currently). It will be about how we initially started this project, and why, so look forward to that.

Another note, if any of you want to see some more media from the game, visit our facebook page. We keep all of it there as well. :D

[​IMG]

9. Geta-Ve

#9 Geta-Ve, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Apologies for the double post, but here is the older update. From now on new media updates will be in both the Second post and wherever the newest post is. :p

May 9 2011
    First up is a video of a playtest I did on May 3 2011. The character is a simple camera mapped actor so that we can get a sense of scale, perspective and proportions.

A lot of assets are still not final, but the level design is more or less final. You can see the mighty Abaddon lurking out in the sea, watching you.

During actual gameplay his tentacles will be moving as will he be in the ocean. We really hope to make the environment feel alive.

Next we have some images showcasing some of our characters. First is our hero, Hugo Cannon Tredder! A man of intelligence and logic. He is a man that has lost everything since his first encounter with the Abaddon, his ship, his crew, his riches, ohh his riches!

[​IMG]

Here you can see the mighty Abaddon! Excluding tentacles... :D Basically he is a giant octopus, but with a way cooler name. You can see the deck perched on his giant back. This area is for the Bramblemen to watch the destruction of unsuspecting ships!

[​IMG]

Here you can see the 4 main enemies that will be in Curse of Kullvaria. Each with a different purpose and attack.

From left to right

Fledgling Bomber: These little guys will stop at nothing to blow you up.
    General Bruiser: Big, tough, punchy. What more is there to say except don't get close!
    Minion Spearman: The infantry in the Bramblemen ranks, they charge head first in to battle hoping to get close enough to stick you with their spears.
    Minion Dartman: Dartmen are masters of the blowpipe. They are the snipers of the jungle. Be quick lest their darts penetrate your fleshy body.

[​IMG]

10. Ollarin

Ollarin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Character TD/Animator
    Hello everyone,

Here's a demonstration of the Minion rig!

11. Geta-Ve

Hey guys!

We have some more media up, you can check out a new blog post detailing how we initially started, and why.

New Blog Post - The Start of Something Special!

Next you can check out some of the rigging that has been started for the Abaddon creature that will be watching ominously in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you guys want to check out a lot of our other development screenshots and images head on over to our facebook page! :D

Curse of Kullvaria - Facebook Linky!

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh that's not far away at all. Thanks for the blog updates!

13. Geta-Ve

Ya, the biggest hurdle now is UDK. Once we get our heads around that we should be alright. But we also know, that, like many things in life, not everything will go as according to plan. ;)

14. Ollarin

Apr 11, 2011
    Character TD/Animator
    Hello!

Here's another update for the day. Most of the day was spent rigging the Abaddon. Which is a really simple rig, though I had run into a few issues with influences that kept dropping even though I had everything set up properly. In the end all it took was just redoing a lot of the rig and cleaning it up.

As you can see, it's really simple, mostly an FK setup, since he's in the background theres absolutely no need for anything fancy in his setup, he just needed to deform a bit so that he has life when you see him in the background.

15. Geta-Ve

Also here is a bonus video showcasing the Hugo rig!

16. Geta-Ve

Hey everyone!

Another update tonight. Been working on getting UDK set up properly and trying to get it to play nice with Perforce a revisioning software. Still having a few issues, but I was able to toss together this little super mega ultra early look at something running on an actual device!

Finally!

Keep in mind however that this is simply me importing Hugo's (the main character) static mesh in to UDK's default level. Still though getting this far and having something running on the device is a huge boon to us.

The next step will be to get the project properly started and start really testing the level design on the small screen. :)

17. Ollarin

Apr 11, 2011
    Character TD/Animator
    Hello!

And here's another update for the chef. His rig is done, as you can see, we havent done his textures yet, though,we'll get round to that soon.

His rig is pretty straightforward, just IK limbs and simple FK body controls. :)

18. Ollarin

Apr 11, 2011
    Character TD/Animator
    Here are the rigs for Guntar and the Generic Crewman, all the crewman (including the chef) pretty much have the same rig. I just had to tweak their weights for each one.

19. Geta-Ve

Just want to mention really quickly that I have updated the second post with links to all of our previous media posts, so that way new viewers won't have to drudge through the thread to find them. :)

New blog post should also be up by Sunday, with Part 2 of 'The Start of Something Special' coming by Wednesday!

Cheers!

20. gkaour

gkaour Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Really nice to see you guys working sooooo hard, and update us almost every day:) Can't wait for this one!!!!