[Advise needed] Do people are willing to pay for...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hello!

Any kind soul would like to share their personal take on whether would they pay for something like this:
    + Game is free but with ads. Pay 99cents to get the HD version & without ads?

I've been seeing more universal apps now compare to in the past, where there are normal versions and HD versions. So I'm wondering if its becoming a norm that users are expecting HD versions as the default. =0

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I like it when games are free but you pay 99c or so to unlock the full game or get rid of ads. Gives me a chance to try the game and if its any good i'll pay to remove the ads etc.

I'm used to paying one price for a universal app and often stay away from apps where you have to pay once for an ipod/iphone version and another time for an ipad version though.

3. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback!

In your opinion, does it matter to you whether its Lite & Premium or Universal in-app to unlock content? Assuming the game is only available on the iPhone?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont mind what type it is, sometimes a lite version is great to try and then i buy the full version.

Or i download the game which has say 4 levels, costs 69p to unlock the rest (or get rid of ads). To me this sounds good but some people really do hate ANY type of IAP which seems over the top. So perhaps a lite version is your best bet

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #5 september, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Would the base app still be classed as universal or SD by the AppStore or other apps like TA? While your idea is a bit different, there's been a few cases where developers have tried the free with a full unlock and they don't tend to chart well from what I've seen, but it's worthwhile looking at other games that have done it and seeing positioning in something like App Annie to get an accurate read. I just don't know if current mainstream gets it.

Personally I like the idea, reminds me a bit of the old shareware model that put idsoftware, 3D Realms, Epic (Megagames) on the map. They had a habit of getting me hooked good and proper.

Edit: I think maybe I've misunderstood, do you mean two separate apps, an SD and an HD, SD free with ads and HD with no ads but for sale for 99 cents? Or do you mean a base app with inapp purchase that unlocks higher resolution graphics and gets rid of ads?

Sorry, bit tired. Think I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What do you mean by HD version? Is that the iPad version or the Retina version?

7. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Yea i meant 2 separate apps. Maybe .. let me re-phrase it:
    Would you prefer...
    1) 1 x SD free with ads. with the option to get a HD version at 99cents in a separate app

or..

2) 1 x Universal app. Get HD & remove adds for 99cents.

all the above for just the iPhone version.

Hmm.. i meant just for the iPhone normal resolution and the iPhone retina display.

8. Allen95

Allen95 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    California
    #8 Allen95, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Well I really hate ads. It ruins the game and no matter how great a games graphics are, ads typically ruin them.
    I'd much rather pay for a good game or a good execution of the freemium mechanic.

9. CptKirk

CptKirk Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't like ads. They ruin the game and sometimes when I'm really into the game and then I accidentally click the ads, it really ruins my momentum in playing. Also, before purchasing a game, I try to look for the free version to check if the game is actually worth purchasing.

10. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Could i say that..
    1) 1 x SD free with ads. with the option to get a HD version at 99cents in a separate app

or..

2) 1 x Universal app. Get HD & remove ads for 99cents.

This 2 option doesn't matter...as long as game is good and when you tried in the free version (w Ads), if its good, you will pay the 99cents to get the HD version?

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    For what it's worth, I'll pretty much never pay more for an HD version than I'd have paid for an iPhone only version.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My 2¢, I have never bought an app's special retina mode bersion, although I do buy iPad versions and Universal versions.

I do have both a 3GS & an iPhone 4, but I don't especially seek out retina display versions of games because I hardly game on my iPhone anymore. It is iPad all the way...

iPadisGreat :)

13. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    hahaha now i understand why your TouchArcade nick is as such! nice! =D
    :D