IAP - thread for complaining about in app purchases.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nobunaga, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Exactly what the thread says. Rather than complaining about IAP in every single game's thread I thought I'd offer the alternative of posting complaints here. So many threads get derailed by the debate of IAP's. Not as they pertain to the mechanics of the game itself. Just about whether or not people can accept the in general.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Discussing IAP present in a game is not derailing a thread. It's exactly what the thread is there for. Discussing the game. Sometimes the debate veers off about IAP in general, not specific to the game, but this thread is frivolous, inflammatory and unnecessary.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Exactly. If we don't know what we're paying for, how can we be informed consumers?

4. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    You have your opinion. That this thread is frivolous, inflammatory and all.
    I could easily find a good amount of examples of threads where the thread has been entirely derailed by this argument though.
    The most recent being apocalypse max. There are pages of discussion on the thread about IAP in general and the new gameloft game in specific.
    Do you really believe that people come here to see an argument not even about the game that the thread is about. Personally I don't. I get tired of having to search through pages of useless banter to find an impression of a game.
    That discussion of that sort doesn't belong in game threads except when it directly relates to the game in question.
    That's my opinion.
    I'm not looking to call anybody out in specific. Didn't really mean to offend you. Just throwing the idea out there.

5. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm not saying not to discuss how IAP in "x" game effect the balance and gameplay in the thread for "x" game.
    I'm asking not to run on for pages about how you hate IAP and won't buy the game because they are in it and ..........
    It makes it impossible to actually find any usefull information on the specific game.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Sounds like this thread is getting derailed from disussing IAPs to discussing the discussion of IAPs.

7. iJoashFoo

iJoashFoo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Oh not ANOTHER thread on iAPs.. Honestly as long as the iAP system in the game is unobtrusive and absolutely not needed (not Zynga) I'm okay with it. iAPs which unlock more content (eg Where's My Water/Perry) are much more welcomed and I'll gladly buy it.

Come on, developers need to make a living too. For them to sell at hellishly low price points they'd need something that'll enable them to carry on developing more great games.

8. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    Games that require IAP's to make reasonable progress are immediately spoiled. I agree that purchaseable level packs are acceptable as well, providing the game has a decent amount of free levels. I can't imagine how people spend hundreds of dollars on smurfberries though.

9. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    This place is getting ridiculous. If we post about price etc in a thread the posts are moved. Now that this thread has started it won't be long before we can't mention IAP in a game's thread. (Unless it is a positive comment of course :rolleyes:)

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #10 awp69, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    The problem is that you really can't discuss IAPs in a vacuum. There's so many differences in the way the games implement them and the need for them. I really do think it's fair game to bring up in each thread whether IAPs are required/needed as it is information pertinent to whether you want to buy the game.

That said, here are my general ideas on when IAPs are acceptable:

1. Shortcuts - eliminating need to grind or have to play the game more to get an item.
    2. One-time unlock - Game is free, but can be completely unlocked with a one-time IAP.
    3. Expanded content - new level packs, etc.

Anything else is either borderline or just plain bad. I like to know how much a game is really going to cost before I get it. That's really the center of the issue is that games once upon a time were purchased and you had no restrictions to the game's content. With the IAPs introduced into the picture, except for the reasons listed above, there's often no way to know how much the game is going to cost you in the long run.

My 2 cents, anyway.

11. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Games with good IAP:

Fruit Ninja - Starfruit can be easily earned in game
    Doodle Jump - Coins ... .. ...... ...... .. ....
    Pocket God - Skinpacks, optional. No real gameplay added
    PvZ - Same as Doodle Jump

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Shouldn't happen. Price is set and obvious from the get go. Either you will or won't pay it. IAPs on the other hand can dramatically affect gameplay and the user experience. They are often unknown at release and even when they are revealed, aside from simple unlocks, there is no way to determine how they will impact the experience without playing yourself or reading player comments. Discussion of price in a game thread is fairly pointless while discussion of IAP and how it is implemented is very much appropriate for a game thread.

13. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm inclined to agree with you. If in a thread people care to comment that IAP are neccissary/not necissary to progress in a game I think that's fine. It just gets annoying when people jump into a thread and berate a developer for including IAP in a game at all. Especially when they are not needed.
    For example, infinity blade 1 & 2, tiny troopers, apocalypse max, random heroes. All games that offer IAP shortcuts.
    I'm not a fan of games you pay for where you hit a Paywall. Or games that require endless hours of grinding to attain reasonable equipment/unlocks.

When I go into a thread and see pages of discussion about IAP in general I find it annoying. Especially if I'm looking for info about that game. I think people should realize there are more people that come here for info that don't have accounts than people that do. I'm sure they'd rather get info about a game in the thread than hear an endless ranging argument.
    A thread like this seems like a better place for that discussion.

14. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #14 Janni, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    as there are way to many forms of IAP (ranging from "shortcut", "acceptable" to "kids don't touch that!"), they MUST be discussed in game-specific threads (as an information/warning/exchange with the developer).

and how you deal with that information is completely on your own... but reducing the discussion to a single thread makes no sense at all (thats just a philosophic good vs evil / needed vs unneeded contradiction)

at least WE are the customers, so why not discuss the way a dev/publisher wants to get our money (thats for sure no taboo topic)?