Block Fortress: Empires

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

[​IMG]

Hi guys - we are excited to announce our next game, Block Fortress: Empires!

Much like in the original Block Fortress, you will be playing as a solitary marine, but in BFE you will be building both a home and defenses (more on this later). There are two primary game modes: a single-player campaign, and multiplayer base-raiding. The campaign plays very much like Block Fortress, in that you set up mining outposts on various planets (10 different biomes), build your defenses, and defend them from the other races that inhabit the Blockverse (namely Goblocks, Blockbots, Blockoids, and Zomblocks). Established mining outposts generate a steady flow of minerals, which are used in crafting and upgrading your defensive blocks and equipment.

[​IMG]

The main way to play BFE, though, is multiplayer 1st- or 3rd-person base raiding. Think Minecraft meets Clash of Clans. As you can probably see from the screenshots, your home world is very long and fairly narrow (I think around 300x40 blocks to be exact). Don't worry; the maps are big, and still offer all the building freedom and strategic opportunities you have come to expect from the original Block Fortress.

[​IMG]

At one end of the map you have your home, a large area that is protected by a massive shield. Here, you don't have to worry about strategic placement of turrets, etc. You have access to a huge inventory of decorative blocks that you can use to build your home however you want (we've got statues, paintings, radios, furniture, tons of block types, planters - even an arcade game cabinet). Of course, you will be able to show off and share your home with friends and other players.

In the front of your base, there is a huge door that leads out into the planet and defensive area. This is where you will build your defenses using turrets, traps, walls, and bot spawners. Strategic placement of turrets and clever traps are even more important in BFE, as these defenses are meant for the most dangerous game - human raiders. When a raiding player attacks, they must fight to, and deactivate shield generators. Once all the generators are deactivated, they must still get to your base's front door to open it and be victorious.

Before a raid, players can scout a base and choose their equipment loadout (5 slots) based on the defenses they see. Equipment includes a variety of weapons, but also things like a cloaking device, a trap sensor, decoys, a time-rewinder, and more. Once a player chooses his or her loadout for a raid, it is locked. Also, weapons don't reload during a raid - so use your ammo carefully!

[​IMG]

One quick note for those wondering about the map shape - the long, narrow shape allows defenders to build a defense that they know the player will have to fight through. During early builds (with a large, square map), we found it very unsatisfying to build traps and turrets in various areas, only to have players attack the base from the other side of the map. The longer and narrower maps make it much easier to build defenses that a raider will have to deal with (while still allowing enough width for an attacker to sneak around poorly placed turrets).

[​IMG]

Whew - that's about it! Of course, there's a lot more to the game like building your own raiding ship, clans (or factions, or alliances, or whatever we end up calling them), and customizing your character - but that's for another post. We hope you're as excited as we are about this one!

[​IMG]

Tusumice, rezn and Cooper04 like this.
  2. Albeolupus

Albeolupus Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Super excited

Looks very promising! Cant wait to see your first multiplayer focused game!

3. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
  4. Shykeryso

Shykeryso Active Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I was expecting Block Fortress 2, but I'm actually way more excited for this! This will be quite the mash-up of the first 2 BF titles, with more of an emphasis on multiplayer as well! I like the 'attack from one direction' aspect because the later levels of BF1 make it really hard to defend your base from enemies attacking all sides.

One question: When you say "bot spawners", is that talking about your own blockmen ai units, or actual bots like in BF1?

5. Albeolupus

Mar 1, 2014
    In multiplayer will the raiding party actually steal the defenders resources? If I am successfully raided will my resources be lost?

6. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    1) Will it work on iPad 4 just like Noblemen?^^
    2) Will it have some kind of a volcano biome?

7. Foursaken_Tom

Foursaken_Tom Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Nope - we wanted to make the motivation in this game about being rewarded, not a fear of loss. When you raid a base you get rewarded, and if your base successfully defends an attacker, you also get rewarded. On a related note, you also have a separate raid and defense auto score, which goes up and down with wins and losses when attacking and being attacked. You can progress by being a proficient attacker and/or having a great defense (of course you'll advance faster and farther if you have both!)

8. Foursaken_Tom

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes and yes! We'll probably post some screens of the other biomes later...

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Dear god! It's happening... again!

Just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

10. Foursaken_Tom

Nov 7, 2010
    In BFE, the bots are AI units that are spawned from blocks placed in your defenses. There are several bot types, with different weapons and spawn rates that attack raiding players. When you raid a base, it is pretty much just you and your command ship (although there are a few pieces of equipment that can spawn NPCs to help you).

11. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    How about devices like iphone 5 ? And will it be preemium as well ? I bought block fortress and block fortress war, I hope I am able to play this as well. It was kinda disappointing that I am unable to play nobleman at high fps, hope u guys can optimize this for iphone 5.

12. Albeolupus

Mar 1, 2014
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear! You gentlemen are taking away the part of multiplayer games that I dislike! Also, happy to see a brother other than Jamie or Connor on here :D

13. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    Yeah brother Tom getting in on the action :p

The Discord channel for Foursaken is a hoot, y'all should come JOIN US.

14. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I sincerely hope you guys decide to ditch the f2p BS that has plagued your recent titles this time round. Long time Foursaken fans want to continue enjoying your games also. The least I'd wish for is to include an iap that converts the game to premium. Or maybe two versions? Just some food for thought.

I dearly don't want to see the day a new Foursaken game releases and I instapass as if it were a Gameloft title.

15. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Long as it has offline play like your others this is a insta buy I have the other 2 but prefer 1 over 2 so this one is right up my alley !

16. 2Cool4U

2Cool4U Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Oh. My. Gosh. Yes. Yes. Yes.

17. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Here we go!!! Loving it already

18. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Looks great, any plans for mfi controller support?

19. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Looking forward to checking this out - at the least the single player campaign portion of the game, as I've never been a fan of raiding other players types of games (although nice to know the multiplayer portion doesn't cause defenders to lose resources which helps).

Now just hoping this announcement isn't being made like 8 months before an actual release date...can't deal with that extended suspense! ;)

20. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    #20 brothamannp11911, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    I think my understanding, you get to build your own "level" like Mario Maker or any of those creation tools, and people get to invade it... I am really excited about that! Though I hope we sont run into something unbeatable.

Though intrigued about fighting the other races, too...its got an open to all feel.

Im just super excited about more BF and a FM's multiplayer-emphasized experience!